Punctures Phev

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
I'm about to replace the 5th tyre since January due to punctures, I do about 10,000 miles a year and the car is running on 225/40/R18 Bridgestone Potenza S001 tyres.

Does the added weight from the batteries make these cars more susceptible to punctures? Are Bridgestone a poor premium tyre? Or is this just bad luck?

Anyone had similar or anyone got any suggestions

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I'm about to replace the 5th tyre since January due to punctures, I do about 10,000 miles a year and the car is running on 225/40/R18 Bridgestone Potenza S001 tyres.

Does the added weight from the batteries make these cars more susceptible to punctures? Are Bridgestone a poor premium tyre? Or is this just bad luck?

Anyone had similar or anyone got any suggestions
If you have had five punctures since January why have you replaced them ? most punctures are repairable, but i would just just say you are unlucky, I would not think the extra weight would cause punctures !

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Sounds like you've probably just had very bad luck there tbh. 5 punctures in 8 months wow! Do you have particularly bad roads where you are, and what caused the punctures? I used to get a few when driving on site at work, industrial place, dropped screws, metal fragments, nails etc.

I have Bridgestones on my Formentor and the fronts are getting close to needing replacement at 12000 miles in, so the extra weight does seem to affect them. Plus they're very prone to wheel spin which doesn't help. I've had one puncture on a rear tyre in that mileage, a nail in the centre of the tread so easily repairable. I'm not a fan of Bridgestone and will pick something else when the time comes. I've always liked Pirelli tyres and for me it'll probably be the all season seal inside ones (no spare being hybrid).

Last edited:

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
If you have had five punctures since January why have you replaced them ? most punctures are repairable, but i would just just say you are unlucky, I would not think the extra weight would cause punctures !

They are unfortunately unrepairable as they have all occurred in the sidewall.

Unfortunately the weather here has been awful and the potholes are crazy but I drive mostly the same routes in my Leon as I do in my 308 and have not had a single puncture in that vs the 5 in the Leon, despite me driving the 308 just as much.

• Sad
Reactions: H Rafiq

Fergoo

Jun 8, 2020
I'm not expert but I'd be intrigued to know if there's any trend as to which axel you're getting the puncture on. I assume most of the extra weight with the PHEV is on the rear axel (with the batteries and fuel tank), with just the gubbins and electric motor adding slightly to the weight on the lump up front.

There was an article I read somewhere a few weeks back about the extra load/stress PHEVs and BEVs put on both the tyres and the road, so there might be a bit of logic in there as to why you've experienced so many punctures, but it must be coupled with some bad luck too. Must have cost you a fortunate on tyres!

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
They are unfortunately unrepairable as they have all occurred in the sidewall.

Unfortunately the weather here has been awful and the potholes are crazy but I drive mostly the same routes in my Leon as I do in my 308 and have not had a single puncture in that vs the 5 in the Leon, despite me driving the 308 just as much.
Again I cannot see why the weight can impact the tyres having punctures, what weight is the "PHEV" ? as I I have a car that is not a battery car but at a guess it weighs more than a phev, and I have had my tyres for about 15 years with no punctures, so unless you are using a very cheap tyre, another thing are you putting the correct pressure in ? and finally you say a puncture and usually a puncture is for a reason ie a nail/screw or something in the tyre but what are the symptoms ?

Fergoo

Jun 8, 2020
Again I cannot see why the weight can impact the tyres having punctures, what weight is the "PHEV" ? as I I have a car that is not a battery car but at a guess it weighs more than a phev, and I have had my tyres for about 15 years with no punctures, so unless you are using a very cheap tyre, another thing are you putting the correct pressure in ? and finally you say a puncture and usually a puncture is for a reason ie a nail/screw or something in the tyre but what are the symptoms ?
Circa 180-200KG over the ICE equivalent.

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
thats nothing my car weighs 2600kg
My thinking was it could be the weight coupled with the low profile tyres, combined with the pretty poor roads.

I'm running on Bridgestone which are supposed to be a premium tyre and each time the tyres have had a complete failure, where the sidewall has blown out.

I've lost 3 fronts and two rear tyres, so a pretty even spread across the car.

Chemical Matt

Dec 16, 2020
I've driven my PHEV over 52,000 miles on two sets of tyres. Had just one puncture which was in the tread due to running over a peice of metal. It sliced a 5cm gash so unfortuanately wasn't repairable.
My tyres are Michelin 225/45/R17 Primacy and now also got two Cross Climate Michelin on the front. So they are a higher profile tyre than yours.
Mine is the Xcellence model - they are usually a bit softer sprung than the FR models, although I must say it still feels pretty firm. What model is yours?

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
I've driven my PHEV over 52,000 miles on two sets of tyres. Had just one puncture which was in the tread due to running over a peice of metal. It sliced a 5cm gash so unfortuanately wasn't repairable.
My tyres are Michelin 225/45/R17 Primacy and now also got two Cross Climate Michelin on the front. So they are a higher profile tyre than yours.
Mine is the Xcellence model - they are usually a bit softer sprung than the FR models, although I must say it still feels pretty firm. What model is yours?

Mine is the FR Sport. Maybe I'm just unlucky with the terrible roads around here not suiting low profile tyres.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Clearly the sidewalls are getting damaged and there's only really 2 ways to do that .
Running over something which deforms the sidewall past it's limits and
Driving over something that deforms the side wall past it's limits, the difference being one you know your doing and the other you don't.
Clearly you might need to run or drive over stuff many times until failure.
Environmental factors matter, driving past a building site, over speed bumps, having to mount kerbs, road condition.
Manner of driving matters fast over a speed bump is more likely to squish your sidewall than slowly.

Also I think that we forget lower profile tyres are more susceptible to sidewall damage.

Or your just unlucky.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Weight impacts to some degree (linearly) as tyre forces increase with increased weight and the same tyre strength. More force more likely is damage, more likely penetration occurs ( 🙂)
Speed impacts more tho (by the square) but you can control that.

I have only ever had slow punctures from screws and the like and my experience of those who have had such tyre failures (fatal rtcs) are that they were from repeated weakening of the tyres or hitting something catastrophically in the road and that hasn't been many.