Question on the use of temporary space saver spare wheels

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
I know space savers have a 50mph sticker on them, as per manufacturer's recommendations, but my question is this.......If such a space saver is fitted to a vehicle, and the driver ignores the advice and exceeds that 50mph, is this actually a prosecutable offence?
Was on the motorway the other day in the wagon, doing 56mph, and was overtaken by a Jaguar XF doing well over 80mph, with a bike size space saver on the nearside rear wheel. Surely the torque going through a rear wheel drive car to one normal and one space saver would grossly affect the stability to the point of being dangerous?
Possible dangerous driving and/or contruction and use offences here??? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I know space savers have a 50mph sticker on them, as per manufacturer's recommendations, but my question is this.......If such a space saver is fitted to a vehicle, and the driver ignores the advice and exceeds that 50mph, is this actually a prosecutable offence?
Was on the motorway the other day in the wagon, doing 56mph, and was overtaken by a Jaguar XF doing well over 80mph, with a bike size space saver on the nearside rear wheel. Surely the torque going through a rear wheel drive car to one normal and one space saver would grossly affect the stability to the point of being dangerous?
Possible dangerous driving and/or contruction and use offences here??? :unsure::unsure::unsure:
I have not heard of any one getting done, but I would say it is not only illegal but as you say dangerous, I have one on my car and if I had to use it it would be used just to get home or a tyre place, but I would not do anything like 80 MPH.

Bet you did not get any dash cam footage to send off to the police !

Reactions: LeylandVCDS

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I don’t believe directly, but you could be done for driving without due care and attention and/or dangerous driving.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Follow up - asked my traffic officer neighbour over the road about this whilst I was out cleaning the Leon before tea.

Answer he gave to the question shows a very grey area, with no specific areas of legislation. But, here's the crux of the question - he said is would depend entirely on exactly how much over the manufacturer designated
You can't teach stupid.......:rolleyes:

Reactions: Alex667
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members