Space Saver Wheel

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Hi all

I have just read if you spec your Cupra Ateca with the comfort and sound pack you get a space saver spare wheel.( see attached )
Where is this stored as when I bought my car I was told there was no space in the boot to correctly store the spare wheel although you can buy a spare wheel kit from the main dealer?
Does the comfort and sound pack equipped cars have a spare wheel well in the boot which the standard car does not?
Is the spare wheel just kept in the boot which would take up a lot of space plus you need to store the jack and wheel wrench?

Attachments

• Space saver.png
    Space saver.png
    52 KB · Views: 131

Tell

Staff member
Hi all

I have just read if you spec your Cupra Ateca with the comfort and sound pack you get a space saver spare wheel.( see attached )
Where is this stored as when I bought my car I was told there was no space in the boot to correctly store the spare wheel although you can buy a spare wheel kit from the main dealer?
Does the comfort and sound pack equipped cars have a spare wheel well in the boot which the standard car does not?
Is the spare wheel just kept in the boot which would take up a lot of space plus you need to store the jack and wheel wrench?
I just got the pre face lifted standard Ateca, the skinny spare goes in the boot in it's own well. There are / were assorted boot arrangements. Being 4drive in my case the boot options change. I'm not aware that the Ateca Cupra got it's boot altered as per the well. If it doesn't have a shaped compartment for the tyre the adjustable shelf covers it up. You might not have the shelf. The adjustable shelf is for 2drive whilst for 4drive you have just the cover.

It was always better to buy what you wanted at the time since the boot arrangements were not sold after. Now they are but you are into bracket fitting if you do it yourself, finding the pre drilled anchor positions under the carpet. See the pinned post I put up from someone who altered their boot with the Seat parts. Feels like the pinned post is for you.

The skinny you can buy from Seat or Seat Parts off an e sellers you still need the boot cover if you want to cover the view of the wheel. The Leon 3 skinny was fitted by those who post installed spare wheels. They come with the tools. That was the one that Seat put in where there were manufacturing issues and the wrong car that got built for some so didn't get the spare or shelf. Then at that time Seat HQ cobbled together parts. It is the same spare skinny wheel.

Link to DIY I reckon this applies to a Cupra Ateca but check with Seat Parts on that link whether it's suitable. The variable boot floor doesn't go into 4Drive only 2Drive. My 4Drive has a cover over the spare inline with the rear hatch more or less. Slight lip so if you stop quickly the contents of the boot don't hit the tailgate.

My 4Drive standard Ateca looks like the Ateca Cupra boot which in this picture will be 4Drive. Left and right storage slots plus what you can cram in underneath. Use Velcro tidy bag to hold other stuff. Expect you don't have that panel and are looking straight down. Below there is where the spare and subwoofer goes mounted in the centre of the spare or you can do that without the subwoofer but that panel assembly is bought separately if you do DIY.

20230103_121446.png

I never go down into the spare area myself very often - you can get a few things stashed around the wheel. So basically the spare is bolted in down there and you get the appropriate boot floor to fit, sits above the skinny spare. The spare bolt holes are pre drilled.

Pinned post where someone fitted the variable floor to the standard Ateca:

Seat Motor Parts are a sponsor to the board

Have a nose around in the boots of standard Atecas if a Cupra dealership isn't near you. I reckon as I said the boot in the Cupra Ateca is the same as a Seat Ateca. They won't have altered that.

If you want to get everything post fitted by someone else professionally including the sub woofer I reckon the boards retrofitter sponsor are the people to contact who do this sort of work @East Yorkshire Retrofits

Last edited:
Reactions: KarlW300

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Hi all

The other thing to be aware of is that if the car is specced with the Design pack in addition to Comfort and Sound you lose the spare wheel again because it doesn't fit over the Brembo brake callipers (or something like that??). Nothing to do with it not fitting in the boot!

You could also option the space saver spare for the poverty spec, so your dealer is talking rubbish!

Tell

Staff member
The other thing to be aware of is that if the car is specced with the Design pack in addition to Comfort and Sound you lose the spare wheel again because it doesn't fit over the Brembo brake callipers (or something like that??). Nothing to do with it not fitting in the boot!

You could also option the space saver spare for the poverty spec, so your dealer is talking rubbish!
Another twist. This is where I think it saves so much time to buy the car with the spec you want rather than take a cheaper option and post fit. That floored original Ateca owners since you couldn't buy those parts.

Mind you a good Seat parts person should be able to work out what it needs. Those diagrams as in the link are the parts diagrams. They got to look up the Ateca Cupra and see what the options are and work out which.

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
I just got the pre face lifted standard Ateca, the skinny spare goes in the boot in it's own well. There are / were assorted boot arrangements. Being 4drive in my case the boot options change. I'm not aware that the Ateca Cupra got it's boot altered as per the well. If it doesn't have a shaped compartment for the tyre the adjustable shelf covers it up. You might not have the shelf. The adjustable shelf is for 2drive whilst for 4drive you have just the cover.

It was always better to buy what you wanted at the time since the boot arrangements were not sold after. Now they are but you are into bracket fitting if you do it yourself, finding the pre drilled anchor positions under the carpet. See the pinned post I put up from someone who altered their boot with the Seat parts. Feels like the pinned post is for you.

The skinny you can buy from Seat or Seat Parts off an e sellers you still need the boot cover if you want to cover the view of the wheel. The Leon 3 skinny was fitted by those who post installed spare wheels. They come with the tools. That was the one that Seat put in where there were manufacturing issues and the wrong car that got built for some so didn't get the spare or shelf. Then at that time Seat HQ cobbled together parts. It is the same spare skinny wheel.

Link to DIY I reckon this applies to a Cupra Ateca but check with Seat Parts on that link whether it's suitable. The variable boot floor doesn't go into 4Drive only 2Drive. My 4Drive has a cover over the spare inline with the rear hatch more or less. Slight lip so if you stop quickly the contents of the boot don't hit the tailgate.

My 4Drive standard Ateca looks like the Ateca Cupra boot which in this picture will be 4Drive. Left and right storage slots plus what you can cram in underneath. Use Velcro tidy bag to hold other stuff. Expect you don't have that panel and are looking straight down. Below there is where the spare and subwoofer goes mounted in the centre of the spare or you can do that without the subwoofer but that panel assembly is bought separately if you do DIY.

View attachment 35005

I never go down into the spare area myself very often - you can get a few things stashed around the wheel. So basically the spare is bolted in down there and you get the appropriate boot floor to fit, sits above the skinny spare. The spare bolt holes are pre drilled.

Pinned post where someone fitted the variable floor to the standard Ateca:

Seat Motor Parts are a sponsor to the board

Have a nose around in the boots of standard Atecas if a Cupra dealership isn't near you. I reckon as I said the boot in the Cupra Ateca is the same as a Seat Ateca. They won't have altered that.

If you want to get everything post fitted by someone else professionally including the sub woofer I reckon the boards retrofitter sponsor are the people to contact who do this sort of work @East Yorkshire Retrofits
Hi Tell
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Seems like the boot is layout is standard but you get a new floor to cover the spare.
Obviously you then loose boot depth.
With the car being 4drive there is probably not enough depth to fit a wheel well?
Seems a lot of work although I much prefer a spare wheel even though the chances of needing it are slim!
Strange as the Golf R has a space saver as standard.

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022

The car does not have the design pack so the brakes are not an issue.
Take it spare sits under a floor which sits above the spare?
So in theory the comfort and sound pack cars have a smaller boot capacity due to the spare?

John could you post a picture of your spare in the boot so I can see the layout if possible as your car has the comfort and sound pack?
Cheers

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
The car does not have the design pack so the brakes are not an issue.
Take it spare sits under a floor which sits above the spare?
So in theory the comfort and sound pack cars have a smaller boot capacity due to the spare?
It's the rear axle that takes up space so the depth is less hence the skinny. Mine is factory fitted and looks like that picture so if you satisfy Little John's Brembo brake callipers wobbly he threw in you look fine. The solution isn't the one I pinned up but the solution I got which is the 4Drive boot cover. It just puts a floor about an inch below the boot lip.

This picture off the net is where someone has post fitted the spare. I've marked on red the brackets which you'll need plus the cover. So you need a parts department to specify the pieces you need if you are doing DIY or get someone to fit it. That one was the subwoofer but you'd need the front centre speaker as well. If you are not bothered by the subwoofer getting the spare in is to get the parts fitted. I think you will find the areas pre drilled if it's like the variable floor kit.

20230103_230633.png

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Thanks again Tell

I did look on the forum sponsors website and when you click on Cupra Ateca there is no space saver option?
If you click on the standard Ateca there is two options for the 4WD one with sound and one without.
Take it I need the 4WD spare without sound?
Strange how there is no option for the Cupra Ateca though.
The wheel does come with a new floor cover.

Attachments

• space saver.PNG
    space saver.PNG
    111.9 KB · Views: 111

Tell

Staff member
Thanks again Tell

I did look on the forum sponsors website and when you click on Cupra Ateca there is no space saver option?
If you click on the standard Ateca there is two options for the 4WD one with sound and one without.
Take it I need the 4WD spare without sound?
Strange how there is no option for the Cupra Ateca though.
The wheel does come with a new floor cover.
Question is what are Ateca Cupra owners doing with their spares. Are they skinny ones and did they get the boot floor. It could be that a few have those weird brakes by standard Ateca view so there are limited options. I've read the people on here talking about moving wheels around to get a spare on.

But if your tyres are pretty standard you wouldn't think it's an issue. I'd email that board sponsor on what kit they sell. Giving them your VIN number. You really need the shelf to cover up the spare. Might be something I'm missing, anyone ?.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Please excuse the state of the car, it's not been cleaned since the Christmas marathon...

The spare is only a space saver - I don't think the boot is deep enough for a full size one. There's not really a well for it as such, it just sits on the boot floor with a foam surround. This means you lose the variable height floor (if there is one normally?).

Attachments

• Boot.jpg
    Boot.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 168
  • SpareWheel.jpg
    SpareWheel.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Please excuse the state of the car, it's not been cleaned since the Christmas marathon...

The spare is only a space saver - I don't think the boot is deep enough for a full size one. There's not really a well for it as such, it just sits on the boot floor with a foam surround. This means you lose the variable height floor (if there is one normally?).
That's the one. So any DIY people I reckon you can buy the parts now. The variable floor one was optional for non 4WD standard Atecas originally at the time of purchase. The 4WD Atecas with the spare came with the assembly as you are showing. Subsequent to that the parts for the variable floor came out, year or more later.

I'm wonder whether you just use some of the parts of the variable floor one. Like not fit the bottom level ?. That board gets stored at the back of the garage. I can't believe the top board is mounted at different heights just the bottom one which you wouldn't use (born risk taker is me).

That diagram of the variable floor one you see on that parts site is lifted from Etka so one needs to go thru that looking for the boot.

A good parts department chap who knows their way around Etka would be able to drop their hands on it.... us lesser mortals have to go thru the pages. I reckon you just discard the bottom shelf else the body work would be pre drilled at different but close levels. That link may pre date when the part became available.

So reckon a fiddle with a variable floor boot is required just to see how it works in a Seat dealership. But if correct. Those are the parts.... just get some extra you wouldn't fit.

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022

Hi John

Thanks for the pictures.

So looking at your car I remove my current boot liner and buy the spare wheel kit which includes the wheel and tools and the foam inserts for everything to sit in.You also get a new floor which then sits on top. The boot is reduced by the depth of the space saver.
The kit comes with the following parts.(see attached)
Think the total price is £350 minus member discount.

Is that a speaker or amp mounted in your spare wheel?
Hence the comfort and sound pack?

Strange as there is no kit available for the Cupra Ateca though.
Will speak with Seat motor parts to confirm before buying if I decide to get one.

Attachments

• space saver 1.PNG
    space saver 1.PNG
    38.5 KB · Views: 87

Tell

Staff member
Hi John

Thanks for the pictures.

So looking at your car I remove my current boot liner and buy the spare wheel kit which includes the wheel and tools and the foam inserts for everything to sit in.You also get a new floor which then sits on top. The boot is reduced by the depth of the space saver.
The kit comes with the following parts.(see attached)
Think the total price is £350 minus member discount.

Is that a speaker or amp mounted in your spare wheel?
Hence the comfort and sound pack?

Strange as there is no kit available for the Cupra Ateca though.
Will speak with Seat motor parts to confirm before buying if I decide to get one.
Do you have any form of boot cover or is it straight to the floor. If a boot cover and it stops about 1" or so down from the lip you got the cover already. Like what is in Liitle John's picture.

If you are getting the speaker and it is a speaker you will have to have it wired in. The infotainment system has to be coded for it. Need to be careful if you get the speaker it's the right on. Then as I said before you are suppose to have a middle dash front speaker for that least in the Seat Sound System prior to Beats and Sound. Someone can advice on whether you need that front centre speaker. @East Yorkshire Retrofits put those in.

I'm not familiar with that parts list (Will Google). That foam surround may or may not be included. It holds tools in place but other than that doesn't nothing else. The wheel is bolted down.

That seems to exclude the speaker I reckon so connecting that is out of it if you haven't got it 😉.

You wouldn't know I'm a retired qualified researcher would you.... I've put it thru Google image recognition and found this 😉

So yes that's the 4wd kit less than the speaker so will look like Little John's and mine. We got there but won't have the subwoofer. Like the one I gave you on the variable boot floor you'd have to arrange fitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 'Little' John

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Do you have any form of boot cover or is it straight to the floor. If a boot cover and it stops about 1" or so down from the lip you got the cover already. Like what is in Liitle John's picture.

If you are getting the speaker and it is a speaker you will have to have it wired in. The infotainment system has to be coded for it. Need to be careful if you get the speaker it's the right on. Then as I said before you are suppose to have a middle dash front speaker for that least in the Seat Sound System prior to Beats and Sound. Someone can advice on whether you need that front centre speaker. @East Yorkshire Retrofits put those in.

I'm not familiar with that parts list (Will Google). That foam surround may or may not be included. It holds tools in place but other than that doesn't nothing else. The wheel is bolted down.

That seems to exclude the speaker I reckon so connecting that is out of it if you haven't got it 😉.
Hi Tell

I will take a photo of my boot tomorrow and attach it for you to see.
Basically its just a cover which covers the boot floor which is metal.
I am not bothered about fitting a speaker in there was just asking John what is fitted in his.
When you look at the kits on Seat motor parts there are two 4WD options.
One with sound and one without.
I would take it I require the one without sound.

Thanks for your help Tell and John

Attachments

• space saver 2.PNG
    space saver 2.PNG
    44.8 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
If you don't want the sub woofer then yes without sub woofer. The subwoofer needs cabling in, infotainment coding altered and that centre front speaker put in. As said East Yorkshire Retrofit do that work. You see that in their photos.

I bought my Ateca blind. I went up to Silverstone in 2016 in the spring where they showed them in a Fleet trade show getting in as a very small fleet owner 🤣. Dealers hadn't seen them then. Placed the order in June 2016 still not seeing one since April in LHD. Basically I bought one like the one I saw but you had to have it in full leather and bought all the extras excluding the tow bar. You can't get many of those extras now, only sold on the Cupra with added bling.

Anyhow that pinned thread gives you clues for DIY or you could get some one more local to fit. I think its just finding the screw holes under the carpet.... If young and fit. Sciatica limits me now 🙄.

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Hi Tell/John

Please see attached photos of my boot.
Basically the boot floor is a thin piece of carpet which covers the metal floor.
There is also a thin piece of foam which is where the spare wheel kit could sit.
Obviously by having the space saver spare you loose boot depth.
Looking at John's picture the spare looks like it is about 130mm deep so this is the amount you loose.
The new floor supplied with the kit must sit on top of the foam inserts which the spare and tools sit in as per Johns which has the kit and speaker fitted due to his car having the comfort and sound pack.

Attachments

• boot 1.jpg
    boot 1.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 131
  • boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 141
  • boot 2.jpg
    boot 2.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 140
  • boot 3.jpg
    boot 3.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 131
  • boot 4.jpg
    boot 4.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 123

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell/John

Please see attached photos of my boot.
Basically the boot floor is a thin piece of carpet which covers the metal floor.
There is also a thin piece of foam which is where the spare wheel kit could sit.
Obviously by having the space saver spare you loose boot depth.
Looking at John's picture the spare looks like it is about 130mm deep so this is the amount you loose.
The new floor supplied with the kit must sit on top of the foam inserts which the spare and tools sit in as per Johns which has the kit and speaker fitted due to his car having the comfort and sound pack.
You take the carpet out and the rest goes on top.

These people quote the spare at 4.9" which is 124.46 millimetres

I'm 99.9999% that's the kit for the Cupra you identified

E.g.

(The one I worked back from your png using image recognition 😉)

John's picure looks identical mine. I've never removed the spare wheel. I had a feeling it was bolted down so it didn't move but perhaps not, it just lays there. That shelf you buy, brackets and the foam material surround was what you couldn't buy for 24 months or so in the early days of the Ateca. You could buy the Leon 3 spare and tools which dealers sold but not the proper kit to retrofit what had not been bought in the first place. This is where fun pictures started of what Seat HQ supplied to make good fumbled orders. Dealers going out of business, others picking up the business but leaving the spare out. Some people even built their own wood platforms for the boot to cover up the spare they had bought. Now it's all sorted.

So the one you found from the same people who do the parts from the variable floor one for a non 4drive is the above.

Genuine SEAT Ateca Space Saver Spare Wheel Kit 2017 Onwards (4WD)​

Part Number: ZGBBOM23*SE

Genuine SEAT Ateca Space Saver Spare Wheel Kit 2017 Onwards (4WD)​

Image is for illustration purposes only, we will send the correct part for your car.​

For 4 wheel drive only. Please note this comes with a new boot floor
DescriptionPart no.
INSERT575863496K
INSERT575863495F
TRIM PANEL575863496A
LINING575863463G CA9
JACK5Q0011031E
CRANK5Q0011221
WRENCH4D0012219A
SAFETY KIT000093056N
BOLT1K0803899D
SPAREWHEEL5G0601011
Genuine SEAT Ateca Space Saver Spare Wheel Kit 2017 Onwards
Part Number will change depending on year of vehicle.
Part Number ZGBBOM235SE (Vehicles built up to 24.5.20) or ZGBBOM236SE (Vehicles built from 25.5.20>)

We are suppose to point people to the boards Seats part sponsor so dependent on this bit

Part Number ZGBBOM235SE (Vehicles built up to 24.5.20) or ZGBBOM236SE (Vehicles built from 25.5.20>)

You may be able to get it cheaper just give them the part code. What you should get is those parts listed. You will need a screwdriver I reckon it will be like the one I linked to above on the variable floor one. I'd use that as a quide if you are fitting it yourself. We are missing the Ekta diagram which the guy used on theirs. I suspect it uses the same anchor points lurking under the carpet on the sides (mobile scratching post to my cat).

Last edited:

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
You take the carpet out and the rest goes on top.

These people quote the spare at 4.9" which is 124.46 millimetres

I'm 99.9999% that's the kit for the Cupra. John's picure looks identical mine. I've never removed the spare wheel. I had a feeling it was bolted down so it didn't move but perhaps not, it just lays there. That shelf you buy, brackets and the foam material surround was what you couldn't buy for 24 months or so in the early days of the Ateca. You could buy the Leon 3 spare and tools which dealers sold but not the proper kit to retrofit what had not been bought in the first place. This is where fun pictures started of what Seat HQ supplied to make good fumbled orders. Dealers going out of business, others picking up the business but leaving the spare out. Some people even built their own wood platforms for the boot to cover up the spare they had bought. Now it's all sorted.
Thanks Tell

I have contacted Seat motor parts so waiting for a reply from them.
I'm pretty sure the kit they have for the 4WD no sound Seat Ateca Part Number: ZGBBOM235SE is the one I require.
Losing 130mm of depth is no big deal and I will feel much better having a spare on board especially for long trips.
Will let you know once they reply.

Tell

Staff member
Thanks Tell

I have contacted Seat motor parts so waiting for a reply from them.
I'm pretty sure the kit they have for the 4WD no sound Seat Ateca Part Number: ZGBBOM235SE is the one I require.
Losing 130mm of depth is no big deal and I will feel much better having a spare on board especially for long trips.
Will let you know once they reply.
Yes I eloborated my post since you replied. You could try also the board's part sponsor as well now we have the part code for the whole lot. Those now seem to be Seat codes now for the parts since I was picking them up across assorted suppliers, but obviously you want that list of parts in it.

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Yes I eloborated my post since you replied. You could try also the board's part sponsor as well now we have the part code for the whole lot. Those now seem to be Seat codes now for the parts since I was picking them up across assorted suppliers, but obviously you want that list of parts in it.
Hi Tell

Are Seat motor parts not the forum sponsor?
That is where I got part number from for the kit and the pictures I took a snip off?(see attached)
I have also contacted them direct so just waiting for a reply as when you select Cupra Ateca there is no spare wheel option unless you click Seat Ateca.

Attachments

• space saver.PNG
    space saver.PNG
    111.9 KB · Views: 67
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.