Radio not working nor phone charger

Mar 21, 2023
I have had the Formentor since late October 2022. Great car to drive and enjoy it.
However, from the outset the radio on AM is almost impossible to listen to due to crackling and FM is better but still crackling sound. I have it back 3 times and I have been advised there is nothing wrong with the system. I have now been told the work around is use your phone!
Also from the start the wireless phone charger is very intermittent, charge for a few minutes then not charge, back to charging, etc. I have now been advised that only Apple iPhones 12 to 14 models work in the car.
Obviously I am very annoyed as during the sales process no-one advised me "the car does not have a functioning radio and you have to have the latest model phone"
Has anyone else had these issues and if so how were they resolved?
Many thanks

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
I use a Samsung S21+, and that charges. However, when I'm using maps and something like Audible too it does not get enough from the charge pad to fully charge it, my Leon was exactly the same. In saying that I have quite a thick cover on my phone and that may be the cause of it not charging properly. It also gets quite hot.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
The "latest phone" thing is BS. The wireless charger in my Leon is pants 90% of the time and I have an iphone 14 Pro (I assume its' the same part they use). Sometimes it'll charge continually, but most of the time it'll work for 2 mins before you get the "unable to charge device" message. I tend not to use it anyway as the one time it's actually worked was heading down to Heathrow for a flight so it was on the pad for about 2-3 hours, the phone was ROASTING when I got there - almost too hot to touch. Haven't used it since.

Mar 21, 2023
Thanks for your feedback. I have had serious doubts about excuses given on the phone charger. I think they have got the tech wrong as several other posts have said their phone gets frightfully hot. If Alex667 iPhone 14 not working properly that debunks you have to have latest model phone to work (I have that in writing from the VW service centre that my iPhone 8 is 'old' tech and I need 12 to 14 model to work).
The excuse is there is nothing wrong with my car system and that Europe is phasing out AM radio hence my rubbish reception! It is over the next 10 years and in Australia there has been no mention of that. I hire quite a few cars with my job, all modern made in Korea, Europe, Japan, and their radios work perfectly.
I tossed up on the Lexus or the Cupra - starting to suffer Buyers regret.

Mar 21, 2023
The "latest phone" thing is BS. The wireless charger in my Leon is pants 90% of the time and I have an iphone 14 Pro (I assume its' the same part they use). Sometimes it'll charge continually, but most of the time it'll work for 2 mins before you get the "unable to charge device" message. I tend not to use it anyway as the one time it's actually worked was heading down to Heathrow for a flight so it was on the pad for about 2-3 hours, the phone was ROASTING when I got there - almost too hot to touch. Haven't used it since.
Morning Alex667. I actually dug deeper on the iPhone issue. The problem is the opposite to what I was advised - the issue is in fact with Apple iPhones 12/13/14 as the newer models have changed their hardware where the charging coil is. Which of course means the iPhone 8 should be good, and it isn't...................

st4niu

Dec 22, 2022
I had some issues with wireless charging just after I purchased the car. It was on and off every few minutes. But somehow it fixed itself. But I rarely use it. It makes the phone hot like hell and then the phone will turn off charging because of the built-in safety measures. It also charges very slowly. Same thing happens with cheap household wireless pads so that ain't a big surprise for me. After all it's a nice thing to have in car but I would rely more on simple usb-c to lighting cable to charge faster and safer.

Mar 21, 2023
I had some issues with wireless charging just after I purchased the car. It was on and off every few minutes. But somehow it fixed itself. But I rarely use it. It makes the phone hot like hell and then the phone will turn off charging because of the built-in safety measures. It also charges very slowly. Same thing happens with cheap household wireless pads so that ain't a big surprise for me. After all it's a nice thing to have in car but I would rely more on simple usb-c to lighting cable to charge faster and safer.
Agreed. Poor effort from Cupra though as putting in something 'cheap and cheerful' that causes angst just damages the brand. Do it properly or not at all. A wireless phone charger would not have influenced my purchase decision, USB-C ports available anyhow.
Not have the radio working would have had an impact on my purchase decision!! It still does not work. The workshop diagnosis says all good "so on your way mate".

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.