RCD/RNS surround trim

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
Fitted an RCD330 Android Auto Chinese market head unit today to the mk2, it is the same fit as the RCD315/RNS510 etc. Bought a surround trim cheap on ebay and at first glance it looks ok, but if you look a little harder it seems a little greener than the OEM dark grey trim, plus the finish is a rough rather than smooth finish of the OEM. i imagine in the height of summer the colour difference will be really obvious and affect my karma.

Does anyone have a link to anywhere that is selling the trims that match better with the OEM dark grey trims, but that don't cost an arm or a leg? Seen second hand OEM ones on ebay for £70, which seems a tad expensive for a flimsy bit of ABS plastic with a big hole cut out of it.

For reference my old trim piece is part no. 1P2 858 063 A if that contains a colour code, it's the one for awful single CD with the big red LCD thing.

I could try and make my knock off look and feel a bit better by chucking a couple of coats of lacquer on it, giving a wet and dry plus polish, but if i can get a better matching trim for a few quid i'd rather do that then mess around with rattle cans in the cold.

Chris-cupra R

Jul 25, 2012
Durham
Fitted an RCD330 Android Auto Chinese market head unit today to the mk2, it is the same fit as the RCD315/RNS510 etc. Bought a surround trim cheap on ebay and at first glance it looks ok, but if you look a little harder it seems a little greener than the OEM dark grey trim, plus the finish is a rough rather than smooth finish of the OEM. i imagine in the height of summer the colour difference will be really obvious and affect my karma.

Does anyone have a link to anywhere that is selling the trims that match better with the OEM dark grey trims, but that don't cost an arm or a leg? Seen second hand OEM ones on ebay for £70, which seems a tad expensive for a flimsy bit of ABS plastic with a big hole cut out of it.

For reference my old trim piece is part no. 1P2 858 063 A if that contains a colour code, it's the one for awful single CD with the big red LCD thing.

I could try and make my knock off look and feel a bit better by chucking a couple of coats of lacquer on it, giving a wet and dry plus polish, but if i can get a better matching trim for a few quid i'd rather do that then mess around with rattle cans in the cold.

Hi, did you have a bog standard head unit before fitting the rcd330?

I'm trying to work out if I can replace my head unit straight out for an RCD head unit and just get a new facia? Or if the sizes are all different. I've added a pic of what's in mine.

Apologies about not answering your question at all 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211_144740_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211_144740_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 143

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
That is the same stereo my car had originally, I had to buy a new facia that is designed solely for the VAG RCD/RNS head units, you can tell them from double din facias by the rounded corners.

The one I bought was https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333865284318 but the colour and finish is not a perfect match for the standard dark grey facia.

To fit the RCD330 i had to cut part of the inside of the dash just below the stereo as the SD card cage hits it and prevents you from putting the unit in properly. 2 minute job with a junior hacksaw blade. It is unseen once the unit and facia is in place.

Chris-cupra R

Jul 25, 2012
Durham
That is the same stereo my car had originally, I had to buy a new facia that is designed solely for the VAG RCD/RNS head units, you can tell them from double din facias by the rounded corners.

The one I bought was https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333865284318 but the colour and finish is not a perfect match for the standard dark grey facia.

To fit the RCD330 i had to cut part of the inside of the dash just below the stereo as the SD card cage hits it and prevents you from putting the unit in properly. 2 minute job with a junior hacksaw blade. It is unseen once the unit and facia is in place.

Ah that's great cheers, thought there would be more to it than that. Are any additional adaptors needed?

Just had a quick look on ebay but it is tricky to tell exactly what colour the facias are in pics.

Found this one and says its OEM but also says the colour is silver 🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210215_201643_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20210215_201643_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 112

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
The RCD330 came with an adapter for changing the aerial in the car from two connected plugs to one plug (thing it just ditches the AM/MW signals), but I didn't need it as my car only had one aerial plug.

It also came with an adapter to install the reverse camera but I've not decided whether I want to install one yet.

The main connector was the same.

I think silver is a silver as I have seen leons with lighter interiors to mine, silver might be a colour more like the flat bottom of the FR/Cupra steering wheel. Mine is definitely dark grey, no way anyone would describe it as silver, it's like a metallic gunmetal colour, but who knows.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire

Why didn't you buy a genuine one? They're only like £20 or so?

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
Why didn't you buy a genuine one? They're only like £20 or so?
Where from? The genuine ones on ebay I've seen are going for around £70. Last time someone said parts are cheap at SEAT I went in to the dealer, part code in hand, and they wanted nearly 3 times what was said on the forum.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Have you run Seat parts up to ask for a price?

I bought one in 2019 and it was about 20 quid, I'd be shocked if it's more than trebled in price in the meantime.

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
Have you run Seat parts up to ask for a price?

I bought one in 2019 and it was about 20 quid, I'd be shocked if it's more than trebled in price in the meantime.
i try not to use my local SEAT dealer as they aren't the best with locating parts on their system, and when they do they are slow at getting the bits in, they said if i buy bulk then they'll expedite the order, not good if you just want one rear lower arm adjustment bolt. I've found if I have part number the local VW dealer are the quickest option.

Chris-cupra R

Jul 25, 2012
Durham
i try not to use my local SEAT dealer as they aren't the best with locating parts on their system, and when they do they are slow at getting the bits in, they said if i buy bulk then they'll expedite the order, not good if you just want one rear lower arm adjustment bolt. I've found if I have part number the local VW dealer are the quickest option.

Done some more digging and found some part numbers for the fascia:

1P2858071A N87

Then the last three are the colour:
N87 =Brilliant silver
FJ2= Dark grey
47V= Ona silver
1mm= Persia black

Could try emailing Seat Motor parts (forum sponsor) for a price possibly

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull

1P2858071A N87

N87 =Brilliant silver
FJ2= Dark grey
47V= Ona silver
1mm= Persia black

pity the original facia i have off the car doesn't have a colour code stamped on it just the part code. i'd have to make contact with Seat to find out what it left the factory with as i'm not absolutely sure what the actual colour is. I doubt it is brilliant silver or Persia black (that sounds like a really nice colour actually), but i wasn't sure there were 4 colours total, i only thought there were 3. Mine is like a dark metallic grey with speckles in it but in some lights it has almost a brown tint. Might just take them all off and do a custom job gloss black, i lacquered the knock off and i actually prefer the finish compared to the factory trims, it looks more classy.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Seat can tell you the colour code off your VIN.

My local dealer is a pudding-brain but even they managed to do that correctly.

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull

1P2858071A N87

N87 =Brilliant silver
FJ2= Dark grey
47V= Ona silver
1mm= Persia black

Just found out there's another colour 🤦‍♂️
1MM persia black
47V ona silver
FJ2 dark grey
GB1 galena silver
N87 brilliant silver

I wonder if it is written on the sticker in the boot, I'll have to have a look in the morning.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.