Rear wash woe

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Went to use the rear wash on the way to work today and nothing came out. The wiper worked and just messed up the already dirty screen. I figured the water had frozen so left it alone. Got in the car to come home and had warmed up a bit so i tested the fronts and washed the screen no probs. Still nothing from the rear but a big puddle coming from under the passenger side of the car:(. I had a quick look under but everything is covered by trays etc, looks like the bottle goes behind the bumper area.

Anyway phoned the stealer and they comfirmed that it most likley a pipe which has popped off as i have tried to use the wash whilst its frozen. Its going in on my day off next thurs, not covered as warranty so going to cost an est £30-£40, which is nice:whistle:

So note to self DO NOT use the the rear wash when temp is below freezing:(

Clark10

Apr 13, 2005
Belfast
Went to use the rear wash on the way to work today and nothing came out. The wiper worked and just messed up the already dirty screen. I figured the water had frozen so left it alone. Got in the car to come home and had warmed up a bit so i tested the fronts and washed the screen no probs. Still nothing from the rear but a big puddle coming from under the passenger side of the car:(. I had a quick look under but everything is covered by trays etc, looks like the bottle goes behind the bumper area.

Anyway phoned the stealer and they comfirmed that it most likley a pipe which has popped off as i have tried to use the wash whilst its frozen. Its going in on my day off next thurs, not covered as warranty so going to cost an est £30-£40, which is nice:whistle:

So note to self DO NOT use the the rear wash when temp is below freezing:(

Fix it yourself, it's an easy job, even I can do it, there's a guide on here somewhere.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Fix it yourself, it's an easy job, even I can do it, there's a guide on here somewhere.

Yeah i might have a better look at the weekend but its bloody freezing outside and my garage is jammed up with my MR2 in bits at the mo.:(

Thing is the water is running out of the square box section which runs onthe floor under the passenger seat if it was coming out near the front it would look more straight forward. I have a quick search.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Ok done some searching and it appears there is a joint around the bulkhead which i think has popped but it dont sound a 5 min job.

quote:

"the pipe has come off on the bulkhead behind the ecu above the abs, its in a right b*tch of a place! somebody at SEAT had a flash of brilliance putting a join there!!!
i tried unclipping the ecu to create a bit of space to get at it, no chance!
i reckon i might have to take the air filter box off to put it back in, unless anybody can tell me an easier way?"

If i start ripping things apart in the freezing cold and snap clips etc i am screwed so i think i am going to bend over and let the stealers have a go.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
i ve read a bit more and shall have a better look when i finish work on sat, trouble is everthing is so tight in the Tdi engine compartment. If all else fails its the stealers next thurs if so i will report back the cost :cry:

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Just to conclude this i took the car in to the dealer today and the pipe had disconected at both the bulkhead and in the tailgate. Cost £45.

So the lesson learnt is not to try and use the rear wash when it is below freezing, not at £45 quid a go...:(

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Glad you got it sorted, but the windscreen washer system is guaranteed to work down to -25c (-35c in polar climates) as long as you use the correct windscreen washer fluid. The genuine stuff has better anti-freeze properties than regular stuff and doesn't block the fan spray of the jets. So it's fine to use it when below freezing really.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Yep thats where i went wrong as i put in some old rubbish from halfords which ive had for a few years knocking about in the garage. I had used it in my Polo without any problems but i should have got some new wash as the recent coldest snap in years proved it was not up to the job. Live n learn through the wallet :shrug:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members