Refurbing Your Brembos: For Dummies

the_prophet

Jul 28, 2006
can i jst check something before i do it, where you say prepare the area for paint, ie with sandpaper, do you jst rub the edges of the flaking lacquer? or the whole caliper face? sorry if its stupid question but i'm in no way, shape, form, type or skill a painter! lol.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Brilliant guide, mine look just like that, something for me to have a go at. May try it on the rears too :)

Well done..Sticky it,. :thumbup:

Thanks mate,
I'm going to have a go on the rears soon,
if yours are anything like mine they are a dull pink, not sure how they'll turn out but it's worth a go.

never got a sticky before, i'll be chuffed if the mods do :D
all this appreciation makes it worth it.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
can i jst check something before i do it, where you say prepare the area for paint, ie with sandpaper, do you jst rub the edges of the flaking lacquer? or the whole caliper face? sorry if its stupid question but i'm in no way, shape, form, type or skill a painter! lol.

the whole caliper mate, the lacquer bonds to it better.
i didn't go mad though, the wet and dry paper is really fine so wont take much off.

I did pay extra attention to the lines where the flakey lacquer joined the ok lacquer.....you can see the lines on here:

4.jpg

super cupra R

Diesel Power
Apr 23, 2006
Hampshire
At last someone elses calipers look like mine, i saw a guide on evo but wasn;t as detailed as yours. Nice one i will give mine a going over now the weather as picked up.

Steamy

Jan 5, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
Just a quick question,
Do all you guys with peeling laquer use alloy wheel cleaner on a frequent basis? To me it looks like the sort of damage caused by the acidic wheel cleaners.
Of course, I don't advocate my method of not cleaning the wheels for 20k miles at a time. The calipers are fine, but can I bugger get the dust of the rims....

the_prophet

Jul 28, 2006
Just a quick question,
Do all you guys with peeling laquer use alloy wheel cleaner on a frequent basis? To me it looks like the sort of damage caused by the acidic wheel cleaners.
Of course, I don't advocate my method of not cleaning the wheels for 20k miles at a time. The calipers are fine, but can I bugger get the dust of the rims....

clay might help gettin it off. or alternatively WASH YOUR WHEELS MORE OFTEN :D :D :D :D

name__taken

... Narrp?
Jan 11, 2006
Cambridge UK
www.soundclick.com
Top guide, mine are looking much like yours used to at the moment and that's just the guide I needed! :) If i can get over to halfrauds this week i'll have a crack at it at the weekend!!

So you think about 90minutes per caliper??? Seems a long time, or am i just impatient? lol

Last edited:

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
You could do it quicker if you dont take so long peeling off all the lacquer, i spent ages on this.
You could just peel off the bits that are actually flaking and leave it at that.
I spent ages pushing the air bubbles into other areas of the lacquer with my nail. Once they are sealed with lacquer it will be fine, not sure how long it will last though if you.

will be a lot quicker with 2 jacks, spent a while waiting around sitting in the sun waiting for the coats to dry.

Post up some pics when you got them done.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2007
Great guide dude.

Mine are starting to show a bit. Not worthy of doing just yet. But I'm still giving my wheels a go with wonder wheels every time I clean the car, as there's some hardcore break dust welded on there.

I wanted to ask though - You sanded the caliper down, were you at any point in danger of sanding off the brembo text?

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
They look good m8,

Also as a noob to painting, doesn't that fine a grit sandpaper still take off any paint? Or is just a few ligth rubs to remove the flaking laquer that's left?

I can imagine myself having to paint the caliper after getting a bit carried away with the sanding :happy:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
You could do it quicker if you dont take so long peeling off all the lacquer, i spent ages on this.
You could just peel off the bits that are actually flaking and leave it at that.
I spent ages pushing the air bubbles into other areas of the lacquer with my nail. Once they are sealed with lacquer it will be fine, not sure how long it will last though if you.

As you say all the work is in the preparation the spraying takes a few mins per coat.

Told you it was a piece of cake ;)

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
I wanted to ask though - You sanded the caliper down, were you at any point in danger of sanding off the brembo text?

good point mate,
be careful in this area, i didn't notice anything but i can imagine it going horribly wrong.

i just rubbed until a light layer of red dust came off

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
doesn't that fine a grit sandpaper still take off any paint? Or is just a few ligth rubs to remove the flaking laquer that's left?

I can imagine myself having to paint the caliper after getting a bit carried away with the sanding :happy:

1200 is the right grade,
I wasn't convinced when i first felt it but believe me you dont want anything more coarse.
as i mentioned in the previous post, you dont need to go mad, i did rub down the whole caliper lightly, and paid extra attention to the lines where flakey meets non flakey.

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
I've got to get of my arse and do mine, they really let the car down!

As for the rears....i'll be painting mine red then laquering i think......some paint has chipped off mine.

Mar 5, 2007
The pain has chipped off your rears?

I dunno, it doesn't even look like normal paint on mine. More like a red (or slightly pink) stained rubber. Does anyone know if they are just painted normally?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
If the rear need painting then IMO it's worth trying a quick coat of lacquer first......if it doesn't work sand back the lacquer and paint over......You've lost nothing really except an hour of your time :shrug:........you'll be able to tell almost immediately if the lacquer will work

Plus if the lacquer works (which I suspect it will) then you've saved time and money on paint.