Refurbing Your Brembos: For Dummies

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I wondered how the laquer came off.
Great guide mate. 10/10

Brembo's are prone to it. Not just on the LCR, but other cars with them fitted too. Evo owners for instance have just as much trouble as LCR owners. Why it happens, who knows, but it shouldn't happen to a brand as strong as Brembo.

CHRIS200

Powered by Seat Sport
Oct 4, 2003
Fleet, Hants
Visit site
I rubbed both of mine down the then re-painted them along with new Brembo stickers.

Here is an old pic...As you can see it looks pretty pants.

P4090200.jpg

Here is the refurbished one....Look much better.

P4300212.jpg

P4300211.jpg

CHRIS200

Powered by Seat Sport
Oct 4, 2003
Fleet, Hants
Visit site
Just be careful that of you use Hamerite like I have done, then leave for about a week before you stick the stickers on and lacquer. I went a bit over zealous on the laquer on one side and it melted the paint!!!

Re-dene that on this week so now have a matching pair!!

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
they look mint
so it was just normal hammerite paint you used?
Might be worth doing the rears with this if they dont come out good with the lacquer

CHRIS200

Powered by Seat Sport
Oct 4, 2003
Fleet, Hants
Visit site
Yep normal hamerite in a spray can. Laquer is good, just be sparing with it and don't put too much on at once. One spray up and down then leave for 15-20mins the do it again and again and so on. Took about 2hrs worth at every 15-20mins so 8 very light coats = 4 good coats. Came out perfectly as you can see.

the_prophet

Jul 28, 2006
anyone actuallly done the raer calipers yet? did it make a difference

just wondering whther to get mine done, as i've now re-laquered the fronts which made a massive difference.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
anyone actuallly done the raer calipers yet? did it make a difference

just wondering whther to get mine done, as i've now re-laquered the fronts which made a massive difference.

I'd planned to but the weather wouldn't let me :(

I'd like to see some pics if anyone managed to get them done.

Balf2k

Jul 5, 2006
South East Kent
That's it, just ordered new Brembo stickers, mine really need doing but im gonna repaint the calipers than apply the new stickers. What is the best paint to use? I don't think you can get caliper paint in sprays can you (Too thick)? The pics of the new painted caliper look superb, gonna get my wheels done in CTR paint at the same time I think, just got a quote for £260 for my alloys, that any good?

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
When i 1st saw this, i waas thinking "brilliant, i can clean the look of the car up a treat, cheap and dead easy to do" now i have moved on to thinking i may spray them black, add new brembo stickers and do something a little different. I am well impressed with the re-spray that the chap has done above, and with spray hammerite not to expensive to.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
When i 1st saw this, i waas thinking "brilliant, i can clean the look of the car up a treat, cheap and dead easy to do" now i have moved on to thinking i may spray them black, add new brembo stickers and do something a little different. I am well impressed with the re-spray that the chap has done above, and with spray hammerite not to expensive to.

Dont be overzealous with the hammerite spray, takes ages to dry and runs like Linford Christie if you put too much on in one go

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Dont be overzealous with the hammerite spray, takes ages to dry and runs like Linford Christie if you put too much on in one go

I have heard this stu, but without blowing my own whistle, gardening is not my only talent ;)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I used a laqure pen from hell fruads and it worked very well. Only prob is that the other side has now gone so im going to sand the front and rears and do them all!

I just picked off the flacky bits then filled the gaps with the pen, its like a touch up pen.

Wonder how ard it will be to change the colour!

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
I used a laqure pen from hell fruads and it worked very well. Only prob is that the other side has now gone so im going to sand the front and rears and do them all!

I just picked off the flacky bits then filled the gaps with the pen, its like a touch up pen.

Wonder how ard it will be to change the colour!

I cant see it being that hard can you scott? If you spend the time on the prep etc surely the results wont be to bad, just take your time and do it properly. Unless you have heard different?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise