Jan 10, 2021
Hello everyone đź‘‹
I’ve recently ordered a set of front parking sensors to retrofit to my Seat Leon mk3.5, but the seller doesn’t offer an option to repaint them to the same body colour that my car is (mystery blue). Does anyone know how could I go by doing that repaint myself? Thanks in advance 🙂

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@deadneon; you could spray them yourself. You’ll need;
  • some fine grade wet and dry paper to very lightly rough up the surface
  • panel wipes,
  • aerosol cans of primer specifically for painting plastics, the correct base colour and clear coat (lacquer)
Take your time and don’t rush. Spray the sensors in a warm, dry non-windy environment. I’d recommend practicing on a separate surface to perfect your spraying technique first before spraying the parking sensors.

This is a useful video on YouTube showing how to paint them.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadneon

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I would recommend rubbing them down with wet and dry after primer and top coat stage so they don't look orange peel like the posted video

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I just degreased the new primed sensors that I bought, and applied 2 coats of paint followed by 2 coats of lacquer, I bought the twin paint spray pack from VW Group, mine for a 2011 Audi S4 in Deep Sea Blue Pearl.

I covered the sensors in masking tape first up to where I wanted the body colour paint to cover, then removed some of the masking tape so that the lacquer covered slightly more of the sensor than the body colour.

These sensors were secured to a raised surface like a cardboard box on to of a typical builder's platform that was covered with secured newspapers, really just to get the areas to get painted up to a comfortable height.

As said already, I carried out this work in a warm, dry wind free area - the kitchen! This did not impress my wife much at all!

The finish on these sensors was excellent!

Edit:- I had bought an extra sensor, so sprayed it at the same time - just in case!

Reactions: deadneon

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I just degreased the new primed sensors that I bought, and applied 2 coats of paint followed by 2 coats of lacquer, I bought the twin paint spray pack from VW Group, mine for a 2011 Audi S4 in Deep Sea Blue Pearl.

I covered the sensors in masking tape first up to where I wanted the body colour paint to cover, then removed some of the masking tape so that the lacquer covered slightly more of the sensor than the body colour.

These sensors were secured to a raised surface like a cardboard box on to of a typical builder's platform that was covered with secured newspapers, really just to get the areas to get painted up to a comfortable height.

As said already, I carried out this work in a warm, dry wind free area - the kitchen! This did not impress my wife much at all!

The finish on these sensors was excellent!

Edit:- I had bought an extra sensor, so sprayed it at the same time - just in case!
How long did it take to remove all the overspray from the worktops and taps?:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: RUM4MO

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
How long did it take to remove all the overspray from the worktops and taps?:ROFLMAO:
I think/thought that I did quite well, a few spots of "black" paint were first spotted by wifie a few days later, and yes they were actually Deep Sea Blue Pearl! The spraying of 3 sensors took extremely short time 4 times in total, then the windows were opened to dilute the solvent heavy brew in the air before the fridge or freezer etc thermostats caused an unsafe situation.

When, a few years later I repeated this action, this time to a mirror cap from wife's 2015 Polo, I had prepared for longer bursts of spray cans, so I bought a cheap small green house thing, placed that over the builder's platform again everything was covered in secured newspapers, but I also bought a small turntable and placed an axle stand on that and fabricated a stand for the mirror cap. That worked well enough and so I could rotate the mirror cap within the enclosure while continuing to spray paint the cap - no traces of paint left that time!

Jan 10, 2021
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm currently looking at getting my hands on the exact colour of paints spray and when the sensors arrive I'll get right on it. Will feedback any news on the development when I get to them.