Cupra Formentor front parking sensor upgrade

Nov 13, 2023
Hi Guys,

Recently I bought base model of Cupra Formentor which came without front parking sensors which I think is disgrace for the company when another cheap cars are having this feature. I would like to ask if any of you upgraded Formentor by adding front parking sensors? If yes - How much it costs?
Thanks for your time

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
In the UK I think only the V1 came without rear sensors.

A word of warning, a colleague took his A3 to his local Audi dealer for 'retrofit' front parking sensors and the dealer fitted a third part product. It never worked properly and after 12 months the dealer has finally removed it and restored the car to how it was previously (including a new front bumper, a new dashboard - as the 'retrofit' included a button drilled into the dashboard to activate the sensors) and additional compensation.

Nov 13, 2023
Hey dashnine,
Thanks a lot for the quick response. I am living here in Germany and contacted with dealer and they said that, upgrading for now is not possible as there is not original front parking sensor available. How is that possible? :)))) . What happens with the car owners when this sensors fails to work? How dealer solves this problem?

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Hey dashnine,
Thanks a lot for the quick response. I am living here in Germany and contacted with dealer and they said that, upgrading for now is not possible as there is not original front parking sensor available. How is that possible? :)))) . What happens with the car owners when this sensors fails to work? How dealer solves this problem?
They probably mean it's not a standard service that they can provide, it's not available on the system. Someone could order the sensors, wiring loom, bumper (or drill the holes in the right place in the original bumper), get them fitted and painted and then update the car to 'tell' the car it's fitted, but a Cupra dealer won't do it.

In the UK, the next level of options fron V2 upward is "Park assist (includes front and rear sensors)", so would the car need a code to upgrade to Park Assist to make the sensors work? We know dealers (or most dealers) won't update cars to add functions that they weren't supplied with, even if on the car and coded 'off'.

It's probable the car can't have just front sensors added to it, unless you use a standalone product that isn't a retrofit at all.

Reactions: ma_arzuman

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
upgrading for now is not possible as there is not original front parking sensor available

Well, that's a bit ridiculous - to say the least...
You should have asked them what happens with an owner that has a minor frontal crash, or as you say - the sensors fail and need replacement under warranty. One thing is to invoke the lack of spare parts and another to admit you own lack of knowledge (or interest) as an official car dealer.
IMHO those sensors are identical over several different cars from VAG group - so I'd be surprised if they are not identical to those of Golf mk8 or some other VW.

Nov 13, 2023
We can retrofit this if you fancy a holiday in the UK 😎
Thanks a lot for the offer. I appreciate it. I have again contacted with dealer and what they said that we can now install only front camera (camera itself costs 2000 Euro) but only with front parking sensors which is not provided by Cupra as a retrofit. I just gave up with Cupra. Their income strategy is not what I expect from the company which focuses not creating loyal customers but mainly about income. I think I will never buy car from this company again. In 2023 producing car without front parking assist is just nonsense. Or I am stupid to buy this car. Second sounds to me more logic :))))))

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Thanks a lot for the offer. I appreciate it. I have again contacted with dealer and what they said that we can now install only front camera (camera itself costs 2000 Euro) but only with front parking sensors which is not provided by Cupra as a retrofit. I just gave up with Cupra. Their income strategy is not what I expect from the company which focuses not creating loyal customers but mainly about income. I think I will never buy car from this company again. In 2023 producing car without front parking assist is just nonsense. Or I am stupid to buy this car. Second sounds to me more logic :))))))
Given you've bought the bottomn of the range car (the V1 - which is the only model in the UK without front sensors), I think you've answered your own question! The cheapest car in a range usually has the minimum amount of options which are stripped out to make a price point and give scope to add features in the more expensive cars.

Antera

Nov 13, 2023

Here you can find the kit and only possible when having already PDC at the rear.

Easy to fit. 2 hours of work and iff you done for the first time 3 a 4 hours. I can do it but i am in The Netherlands
Hey Antera. Thank you a lot for the reccomendations and offer. I really appreciate it. I hope I will find solution for this car. But what about software changes after retrofit? Should I take car to dealer or there is no such need?