Requst: anyone with a facelift 2006-present Ibiza and a tape measure handy?

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi

I'm trying to find out the vertical distance between the bottom of the tailgate, and the edge of the "diffuser" bit of black plastic in the bumper, on a non-FR/Cupra facelift Ibiza (2006-present) as in the pic below:

Ibizadetachabletowbar.jpg

Could some accurately measure the following for me?

1/ the distance from the lower edge of the tailgate to the top edge of the black section of the bumper? i.e. the top edge of the cut in the bumper where that towbar hole is.

2/ the distance from the lower edge of the tailgate to the horizontal "ridge" that runs along the black setion of the bumper? i.e. the lower edge of the cut in the bumper where the towbar hole is.

Would be very much appreciated! I'm trying to place this "cut-out" for the towbar on my Cupra rear bumper to try and guage if that towbar could possibly be fitted to a Cupra.

Cheers
Ally

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
If nobody can help pop to SEAT with your tape in hand!

LOL that's the back-up plan, but I won't be near the dealership until middle of next week. Might get some strange looks from the sales staff... (thought about looking for an Ibiza like this in Tesco's carpark and jumping out with my tape measure, but maybe not a good idea...)

If anyone's really bored and can help before then please do!

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
why do you need that measurement?????????????

Long story...

Look at the first pic in this thread: a pale blue facelift 2006-onwards rear end, with a towbar exiting through a hole that's been cut in the lower valance of the bumper.

I'm trying to figure out if that towbar will fit my Cupra rear bumper, i.e. where exactly would I need to cut a hole in my Cupra bumper to allow the towbar to exit.

Because my bumper's a different design to the one the towbar's shown on, I'm not sure where the cut would be required. The number plate sits a lot lower on FR/Cupra-style rear bumpers and I'm not sure if a cut-out for this towbar would be below, partly below, or behind the number plate. SEAT's website says this towbar isn't suitable for the FR/Cupra, but I fail to see why. The only towbar they recommend is an ugly bugger of a towbar that involves a mahooosive cut out of the bumper (and isn't detachable).

The towbar in the first pic is removeable, i.e. you won't see it once you unclip the neck of the towbar and put the plastic cover over the hole in the bumper.

Long story behind needing a towbar - not to actually tow a trailer, but to mount a bike rack on it. Ibiza's are a f**king nightmare to carry bikes with: roofbars have a reputation of creasing the roof, and the spoiler makes fitting a rear rack a bit iffy. Not a "mod" I really want to do, but needs must...

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
a tow bar on a cupra fr is like murder :cry: if it says that a toebar wont fit then it means it cant be done imo unless you calve your bumper up!!! the rear valanceon the cupra rear bumper goes right under the undersideof the car so some cutting will be needed take the bumper off and have a play around!

toe bars aint cheap tho so not a cheap try out is it :( why dont you buy an fr rear bumper then when you come to sell put the cupra bumper back on:)

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
I know, it's not really in keeping with a Cupra, but I cannae see another solution... And believe me I'm having a damn good search before I commit myself LOL!

SEAT's website says this one isn't designed to fit the Cupra. But then, SEAT themselves (dealer phoned their actual technical helpline) said that the one towbar the do recommend for the Cupra didn't involve cutting the bumper. Load of bollocks. When it arrived the instructions showed that a big 140x80mm cut was required. Sod that.

So I'm taking the info on the SEAT website with a pinch of salt...

Anyone had a chance to measure their bumper yet?!

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
the rear valanceon the cupra rear bumper goes right under the undersideof the car so some cutting will be needed take the bumper off and have a play around!
Valance shouldn't be an issue with the towbar pictured above...

toe bars aint cheap tho so not a cheap try out is it :( why dont you buy an fr rear bumper then when you come to sell put the cupra bumper back on:)
I though the FR and Cupra had the same back bumper? :confused:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
seat put all kindsof bumperson diffrent models but the cupra and the fr dont have the same bumpers :no: new fr is sort of the same style

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.