Purchasing a Pre-facelift Cupra

xJoelinez

Apr 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, this is my first topic.

I'm currently the owner of a MK4 Seat Ibiza, 1.4l 74bhp; but i'm looking at upgrading to the prefacelift MK5 cupra and have found a few options and would like a third party opinion on this.

The first thing is:

I've heard a lot of rumours/complaints that the engine for the 1.4TSI doesn't last very long, was designed very poorly and some don't even make it past 25,000 miles. The ones I am looking at are around 40-50k. Again, i've heard that some don't make it much further than 45k either.

Is this necessarily true, or is it just something that people seem to get very vocal about when it happens to them and spread it all over the internet?

Second question is:

Would you purchase one that has already been modded like crazy?

One of my options is a very 'good' deal. The car is at 46k and is for sale for £5,500, but has been modded like crazy.

I don't necessarily want the mods, and would probably consider trying to change it all back to stock if I could, how easy would it be to do this? Would it be a pain to get the parts back etc?

It's got carbon forge intake induction, Forge intercooler, Forge earlyshifter, Forge recirculation valve, Forge turbo actuator, Forge blow off adapter, Miltek turbo back non resognated, H&R lowering springs, 325mm brake disks Oversized calipers, Amd tuned stage 2, Amd tuned dsg gearbox, Iridium spark plugs, Hd leads, Pan roof, Folding mirrors, Methonal kit, Facelift rear lights and stage 2 remapped to 230BHP

and more...

Would it be costly/economic to put this car back to normal is it comes?

I'll be honest, i'd rather not have any of the mods but it has some of the top specs such as Pan roof and folding mirrors

Third one:
What's the maximum mileage these cars live up to roughly? :)

Thats all I can think of for now, but will post other topics if necessary.

Thanks in advance, Joel :)
:D:D

byron_1992

Apr 17, 2017
Hi mate , I've owned a mk5 Bocanegra for nearly four years now

The engines can be a bit fragile alot of them have high oil usage , I brought mine when it was on 26000 miles and am currently on 45000 , I must be one of the lucky ones as it doesn't use much oil at all

They do also have problems with cam chain tensioners which can set you back a good few hundred £

It's defiantly worth getting one that has been serviced reguarly !

If you don't want the mods id say keep shopping for a standard one , but if you've got the time tovsrrip off and sell the aftermarket parts it might be worth doing

As for mileage , the highest I've seen is 100,000 , some at between 60,000 - 80,000 , asking as they're loomed after I do t think they're any less reliable than other engines , or I might just be very lucky so far

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

xJoelinez

Apr 18, 2017
Perfect answer, found another one that's a bit better, got full history etc :)

Thanks a lot man

byron_1992

Apr 17, 2017
Enjoy the car ! , they're lovely bits of kit when treated right

Smurfybhoy

Apr 15, 2017
Glasgow
I bought one and was scared by what i read about the early ones

Not had it a week yet but so far so good.

Fingers crossed it is one of the "good ones".

From what i gather keep an eye on the oil and dont kick its hole for extended periods and "should" be okay.

I too decided against buying a modded one.

See how it handles what i throw at jt for a year and then maybey stage 1 it and go from there

byron_1992

Apr 17, 2017
Aslong as you keep it serviced regularly you should be alright , I do an oil change on mine every few 1000 miles and like to service the gearbox every few years too.

Mines had a fair few mods for atleast 2 years now and only uses a shots glass worth of oil a year , I always give it plenty of time to warm up before using full throttle and let if cool down for a minutes afterwards :)

byron_1992

Apr 17, 2017
To my knowldge they all got recalled due to the wrong oil being put in them which could cause it to de-clutch randomally

A day service just involves changing the oil and the dsg filter , similar to a normal oil change but on the the gearbox

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise