Resetting engine management light

brooksy

I have a 2003 seat ibiza 1.4 16v se, i had a misfire so i replaced the coil for cylinder number 4, this sorted the fault, the engine management light is still flashing, how do i reset it, could i remove the battery for a period of time or do i have to take it to a garage
any help would be appricated

brooksy

I have taken the car for a drive and the light has stopped flashing but is still on, the car drives fine, would i be able to reset the light myself

jeffery

Nov 5, 2009
I have had 2 coil packs go in the last week, second one went yesterday. :doh:
Unfortunately to get the light put out you have to take and your car to a garage and get plugged in. They will be able to reset it for you and should only cost around £10.

Problem solved.

Last edited:

brooksy

I have just bought a vag.com lead off ebay, hopefully i will be able to sort it myself, £10 for a lead could be a good investment if its a common fault

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
I have a similar lead and software. I havent had any problems and they seem to clear all the faults that have come up. Not sure on the cost as my mate bought it and gave it to me.

Slippery_Stu

May 23, 2008
I picked up one of those leads from eBay and it works with the free download available from Ross-Tech. It will definitely clear the error codes but other functionality can be a little limited with the free version.

brooksy

My cable arrived today and it works, it showed that i had one engine fault and it was the coil pack that i replaced, so it looks like if you have a fault with your car and you fix it yourself you still need to clear the fault with vag com as the car wont realise you have fixed it

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Unless the system has been changed - when the ignition has been switched on 8 times or more and there is no fault - the engine management light will go out and reset itself.

It works on my 2003 TDi sport

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.