Right component speaker trips on high volumes

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
Hi folks....it's me again. Finished installing my Focal 165 KP's last Saturday. To my disappointment, I noticed that one of the speakers starts to trip at higher volumes, way before the other starts sounding bad. I did get these speakers second hand so I am wondering if it was already blown. At lower volumes however it still sounds great. If it were blown, would it still be able to sound good at lower volumes?

The other thing I am thinking is that it may actually be touching the door card so I'll pull that off tonight and see.

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
everything is set the same for both sides. I did notice that it mainly occurs when the bass hits, even though I have bass set to minus 2 on the HU. Going outside now to open up the door to see if I can see any visible defekts...:(

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
okay, crap...just pulled out the speaker...the thing is ripped :( can I get it glued? can I glue it myself? if so with what kind of glue? Or should I bring it to a professional?

torn_speaker.jpg

Last edited:

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
bought them second hand on internet auction..no chance in getting my money back because I am not sure if it was already busted or if I busted it...didn't check when they arrived...

so there is no point in trying to glue it back together down there? it is not ripped all the way around...

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
I know this is an old post but I would just like to update it for anyone else that may have a similar problem.

I simply glued the thing back together and so far it has been holding out at full volume for 3 months... Hopefully it stays holding. I used a soft superglue to glue it!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members