running prob with 130tdi

blockman

:censored:hi guys
i have a 2002 ibiza tdi 130 and the wife drove her near empty she then started running rough and cutting out and wouldn start 1st go any more. i put a new fuel filter on and checked all hoses and it has not cured the prob i then got another filter and same thingi then bypassed the filter and it runs the same so i got her plugged in and there where no fault codes. im really stuck now and need the car so any suggestions would be great.

blockman

yes the filter is filling and the pump is priming the fuel ok

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Sounds like there still could be air in the system. Keep priming the system...about 5 times and then start the car. It may run rough so give it a few revs. The air will bleed out and the car should start fine after that

blockman

thats exactly what i thought but afte doing it a load of times it gets no better and if you drive and let the revs drop at a juntion say she just cuts out and wont start?

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
My car experienced the same problems after I replaced my fuel filter... although it was low on engine oil too and wouldn't start! After topping up the oil and priming the fuel system a few times the engine ran for 10 seconds then cut out. After re-starting it, it ran fine.

If I was you I'd test drive the car up and down a road and see what happens

blockman

yes done that to mate lol ended up pushing her back to the house f@*k but my legs where sore after that

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
Could be crap in the lines, maybe crap in the pump inlet/outlet?
As far as im aware your engine has a low pressure fuel pump that then feeds the injectors which act as there own little pumps to each cylinder.
I would say the injector part is fine as it would still run if 1 of the injectors was down so must be further down the line somewhere.

When I changed my fuel filter it wouldn't run right for a bit so I let it prime a few times and then when it finally started I held it on about 2k revs so it didn't cut out then after a bit it was fine.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
could it not be one of the injectors is fooked.

Only takes a little bit of crap to get through and can cause a problem. However i would have thought you would have had a fault code.

No restrictions in the exhaust anywhere such as broken down cat etc,

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Could be crap in the lines, maybe crap in the pump inlet/outlet?
I'd be inclined to agree, it sounds more like starvation than air---check for a good flow at the filter end (disconnected and large jar or bottle) if not good, I would pull the pump unit for a look, the gauze on the bottom is quite fine-- search for guidance on http://forums.tdiclub .com there is a how to and some mod for early pumps(before prefix F if I'm right) of which yours may be one-- something to do with a venturi and the swirl pot---re; crap and/ or cold weather ---best of luck :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.