SEAT Ibiza DSG or Manual

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I am finally coming back to SEAT after three years in what was to be my eldest's Alfa Romeo MiTO and selling my Arona. However COVID and Uni mean he still has not past his test... I am moving from a WFH role to hybrid so need a newer and more reliable car. Although, Mito has only given me minor issues for a 64K 2010 1.4 and paid just £2000 in 2020.

About to order an Ibiza Excellence Lux and cannot decide manual or DSG and also if Magnetic Grey is an easy colour to look after, Mito is black and a bit of a pain.

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I went for a Peugeot 2008 GT EAT8 in the end - like the Ibiza it is a lease deal and worked out cheaper as price dropped on the 2008 backend of last week.

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Norfolk, Next To The Sea 🐟
About to order an Ibiza Excellence Lux and cannot decide manual or DSG and also if Magnetic Grey is an easy colour to look after, Mito is black and a bit of a pain.

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!
I've got the same idea as you had fella. Because later this year I'm going to order a brand new Ibiza 110 Excellence Lux. And like yourself I couldn't decide whether to go for a manual or a DSG gearbox. But I've finally decided to go for the manual gearbox. Because from what I've been reading the DSG Is a lot more complicated and twitchy than the manual and therefore has a higher probability for things to go wrong. And as for the colour, I'm going for silver. Because In my opinion a silver coloured car does not show up the dirt and stone chips as much as the dark colours do, especially colours like dark blue, black or white.

Just my thoughts though 👍

Last edited:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I've got the same idea as you fella. Because later this year I'm also going to order a brand new Ibiza 110 Excellence Lux. And like yourself I couldn't decide whether to go for a manual or a DSG gearbox. But I've finally decided to go for the manual gearbox. Because from what I've been reading the DSG Is a lot more complicated and twitchy than the manual and therefore has the possibility for things to go wrong. And as for the colour, I'm going for a silver car. Because In my opinion the colour silver does not to show up the dirt and stone chips as much as the dark coloured cars do, especially colours like dark blue, black or white.

I was coming to the same conclusion, then got offered a 2008 GT auto for the same monthly lease as an Ibiza Lux 110 manual with free servicing. It would of been silver or Tech Grey, as agree after a black Mito a lighter colour is easier to keep clean my favourite mystic blue is no longer a colour option.

For the Pug I have gone for pearlescent white as contrasts nicely with the black roof. In two years I will look at the Ibiza again though. As I think the interior is a real step up from my pre-fl Arona.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I've got the same idea as you had fella. Because later this year I'm going to order a brand new Ibiza 110 Excellence Lux. And like yourself I couldn't decide whether to go for a manual or a DSG gearbox. But I've finally decided to go for the manual gearbox. Because from what I've been reading the DSG Is a lot more complicated and twitchy than the manual and therefore has a higher probability for things to go wrong. And as for the colour, I'm going for silver. Because In my opinion a silver coloured car does not show up the dirt and stone chips as much as the dark colours do, especially colours like dark blue, black or white.

White is an easy colour to maintain - not that I’m biased (see signature picture 🤣). It’s also an easy colour to match for DIY stone chip repairs and if you’re ever unfortunate to need any larger paintwork repairs.

I used to have a claims inspection engineer contact in the claims department of a large insurance company. They once told me that they had more issues (and customer complaints) with colour matching repairs to OEM paintwork on metallic silver cars than with any other colour even when the new paint was correctly blended into the OEM paint on adjacent panels.

A guy who lives near me once had a silver 3 series BMW and that had a very obvious repair that you could see a mile off. Agree that silver hides the dirt well, but the issues with colour matching if new paintwork is ever required has always put me off buying a silver coloured car - my car OCD couldn’t handle a car with ‘patchwork’ silver paint 😮, although modern spectrophotometer paint matching technology might mean metallic silver is less problematic to get a good colour match these days.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
By chance we had an Arona DSG hire car in Portugal with the 1 litre 110 engine. Overall, I was impressed very smooth and nice auto box with a decent economy as well. I will say the 7 speed DSG has the edge on the 8 speed box I have recently driven in a Peugeot 2008, overall economy in the Arona was much better too.

Only downside is gearbox can feel a bit jerky at low speed and this is more down to lack of torque of the engine at low revs so going slowly up a slight incline especially in reverse requires a reasonable prod of the throttle to get it to move which in turn makes progress a bit jerky.

Other issue is that the manual handbrake is a pain and seems to almost be redundant. An electric parking brake would work better than the manual handbrake fitted. I would certainly recommend the DSG in Ibiza or Arona.

20230216_161748.jpg

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Yep the manual handbrake and no autohold are let downs in what is otherwise a good package.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members