Seat Leon FR+ 2012 Black (newb with no mechanical knowledge)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Legojon did you use the stuff you got with your spoiler to stick it on or use that tiger seal stuff cheers

Bought it from Dave@Sere, he said to chuck the glue that came with it. So I didn't even take it to the garage with me. I asked for Tigerseal, he said he was going to use it anyway. Which was lucky cause it chucked it down 4 hours later.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Vibra-technics mount fitted and feels so much better than the Powerflex!

Also... decided the rear Bridgestones have had it:
LfqfSDK.jpg

:D
P33QiET.jpg

Last edited:

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Hey Legojon, loving the car it's sweet! :)

Curious questions here haha!

What's the difference between an FR and an FR+? How do you tell them apart? Is it just the FR+ has the satnav system or?

With the upgrade from OEM to PowerFlex to Vibra-technics engine mount, what kind of difference do you notice? Same with the H&R springs and polybush mounts?

See I know very little when it comes to these things and with the MK2 I know very little, I don't need to do much as of yet to mine (plus I don't have the funds to do anything right now either haha!) though my main goals as of yet is to get a Cambelt and Waterpump done, then service then the AirCon serviced and re-gassed as I don't think it's ever been done since the time my brother had it before me. (I know it's empty due to testing it and also having the code come up for it on the Carista app :))

--Lee

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
The FR+ has different 18-inch alloys, SEAT Media System 2.2, which includes satnav, DAB, bluetooth. Bi-xenon headlights that bend and front parking sensors.

Reactions: Israar

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
The FR+ has different 18-inch alloys, SEAT Media System 2.2, which includes satnav, DAB, bluetooth. Bi-xenon headlights that bend and front parking sensors.

Thanks Hawkers :)

I saw the FR+ quite a bit and wondered, I know mines definitely not the FR+ as it's just the standard FL FR from what I believe :)

--Lee

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hey Legojon, loving the car it's sweet! :)

With the upgrade from OEM to PowerFlex to Vibra-technics engine mount, what kind of difference do you notice? Same with the H&R springs and polybush mounts?

Cheers. Well, as with most things theres always a placebo effect. But I've taken a lot of time to get used to the car and installed the handling upgrades a few at a time so I could feel the difference as I went along.

The PowerFlex insert feels like the power is picking up quicker both off the line and between gears. I also used to spin the front wheels all the time... the traction control light was never off. But the antilift kit (regains traction quicker on uneven surfaces) and PowerFlex engine mount reduced that significantly.

However... it also felt like my car was shaking to pieces. Strangely, I actually quite liked it. But every passenger commented on it and it was so aggressive its shaken some of the trim and dash loose. The Vibratechnics mount feels identical to the powerflex performance wise. But... it hardly shakes at all. Just a gentle reassuring buzz so you know its there. But a massive price difference. :(

I believe the poly bushes give more feeling to the car. Before upgrading, I could never really tell what the car was going to do cornering (even after 12 months). So I ended up driving it quite cautiously.

The lower stance and improved handling of the H&R springs is possibly one of the best upgrades I did. I'd say they are only a little more comfortable. But greatly improve the handling through corners. Added to the anti roll bars you can really work the car through corners and previously when your "pushed" away from a corner and have to let off. You can adjust the steering slightly and add more power.

So all in all, its cost me a fair bit. But I'm really pleased with the feel and the handling. And have a lot of confidence in the car now. I finish off the handling with Pilot Sport 3s / 4s. I found the Bridgestone Potenza (factory tyres?) really spongy and uncomfortable. But have found the Michelin really good in the wet.

I rarely see the traction control light on at all now... usually only if I hit a bump whilst accelerating which is always fun! But you can also better feel when you are starting to lose grip and act accordingly.

Last edited:

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Cheers. Well, as with most things theres always a placebo effect. But I've taken a lot of time to get used to the car and installed the handling upgrades a few at a time so I could feel the difference as I went along.

The PowerFlex insert feels like the power is picking up quicker both off the line and between gears. I also used to spin the front wheels all the time... the traction control light was never off. But the antilift kit (regains traction quicker on uneven surfaces) and PowerFlex engine mount reduced that significantly.

However... it also felt like my car was shaking to pieces. Strangely, I actually quite liked it. But every passenger commented on it and it was so aggressive its shaken some of the trim and dash loose. The Vibratechnics mount feels identical to the powerflex performance wise. But... it hardly shakes at all. Just a gentle reassuring buzz so you know its there. But a massive price difference. :(

Thanks for all the information mate! :)

I think in the future when I come to get this done, I'll go straight to the Vibra-technics as I'd prefer as little engine shake as possible! :D

When I brake I can sometimes feel a shake, not sure if it's the engine or the steering, will have to get back on this one... I just know it bugs me when it does it haha!

I believe the poly bushes give more feeling to the car. Before upgrading, I could never really tell what the car was going to do cornering (even after 12 months). So I ended up driving it quite cautiously.

The lower stance and improved handling of the H&R springs is possibly one of the best upgrades I did. I'd say they are only a little more comfortable. But greatly improve the handling through corners. Added to the anti roll bars you can really work the car through corners and previously when your "pushed" away from a corner and have to let off. You can adjust the steering slightly and add more power.

So all in all, its cost me a fair bit. But I'm really pleased with the feel and the handling. And have a lot of confidence in the car now. I finish off the handling with Pilot Sport 3s / 4s. I found the Bridgestone Potenza (factory tyres?) really spongy and uncomfortable. But have found the Michelin really good in the wet.

I rarely see the traction control light on at all now... usually only if I hit a bump whilst accelerating which is always fun! But you can also better feel when you are starting to lose grip and act accordingly.

In the dry I'm confident with the car and it's aggressive nature, but in the wet I don't play about with it as it's too aggressive as it is and I'm not confident enough within myself to say I can happily handle it in a heated situation in the wet. :D So caution is always the way for me with the wet! :D

I can tell straight off the bat that this FR is no where near as solid through corners and round-a-bouts like my last Leon was, that thing stuck to the floor and corners like it was melded to the ground haha!

After the work being doing to the car is done (Cambelt & Waterpump + Service and AirCon -- Will take a few months due to funding!) my first mod will most likely end up the suspension and ARB, from the reading of most people's RR and mods they have had a massive benefit just off them. I'm not reading for a Remap, want to enjoy the current power for a while before I hit that area! :)

You bought front and rear ARBs right? I can't quite remember but did you mention the FR has a rear ARB already? How would I tell if I have one on mine or not? That way it saves paying out for something I already have haha! :D

Question with the suspension though, what's the difference between getting H&R 40/40 over 30/50?

Tyres, not an area I'm great on, not sure what are currently on this but will check later on or tomorrow. What are the differences between Pilot Sport 3s / 4s and the Michelin tyres?

The traction light loves me in the wet haha, mostly from pulling off and going uphill, otherwise it's sleeping! :D

--Lee

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
You bought front and rear ARBs right? I can't quite remember but did you mention the FR has a rear ARB already? How would I tell if I have one on mine or not? That way it saves paying out for something I already have haha! :D

Question with the suspension though, what's the difference between getting H&R 40/40 over 30/50?

Tyres, not an area I'm great on, not sure what are currently on this but will check later on or tomorrow. What are the differences between Pilot Sport 3s / 4s and the Michelin tyres

Yeah, the H&R bars came as a kit. They gave me the old bars back and I already had the same size rear, so effectively I paid to upgrade the thickness of the front bar. Oh well! The easiest way is to look underneath the back of the car. It literally is a black bar running from one side to the other with a couple of rubber mounts holding it to the subframe. When I had my tyres put on the other day, with it jacked and the wheels off I could see the blue H&R springs and blue H&R rear ARB easily.

Well, 40/40 puts the car level, 30/50 points the nose down. Some people prefer the nose down look. Not sure if nose down provides a performance benefit (more weight / force on driving wheels?).

Pilot Sport 4s are Michelins new performance tyre. From what I gather 3 was more of a side step than an upgrade to their sports series. However, I've loved the performance and grip of the 3s. So having read the reviews of the 4s didn't hesitate to throw 2 on. My other choice was the GoodYear F1 AS3... which were cheaper. But I wanted to stay with what I've already tried.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Colonic irrigation for cars:
lBj2POc.jpg

I'll be throwing these in and taking it for a blast at the weekend!!!

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Been having trouble with the Mk5 pedal... so switched back to original seat black rubber... booooo... but added accessory kit YAY!
tY3nWF4.jpg

Oh and finally a mobile phone holder:
ypsO9Lz.jpg

Last edited:

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Yeah, the H&R bars came as a kit. They gave me the old bars back and I already had the same size rear, so effectively I paid to upgrade the thickness of the front bar. Oh well! The easiest way is to look underneath the back of the car. It literally is a black bar running from one side to the other with a couple of rubber mounts holding it to the subframe. When I had my tyres put on the other day, with it jacked and the wheels off I could see the blue H&R springs and blue H&R rear ARB easily.

Well, 40/40 puts the car level, 30/50 points the nose down. Some people prefer the nose down look. Not sure if nose down provides a performance benefit (more weight / force on driving wheels?).

Pilot Sport 4s are Michelins new performance tyre. From what I gather 3 was more of a side step than an upgrade to their sports series. However, I've loved the performance and grip of the 3s. So having read the reviews of the 4s didn't hesitate to throw 2 on. My other choice was the GoodYear F1 AS3... which were cheaper. But I wanted to stay with what I've already tried.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you superman! :(

Thanks for the lengthy explanation, really appreciate it mate!

I think when it comes down to it, I'll most likely go for the 40/40 look as I like the level look of the car at present and I don't want to go too low with some of the roads around here haha! :D

So when it comes to tyres it would either be Eagle F1 AS3 or Michelin Pilot Sport 3/4s, since having the 4's for a bit now would you rate them the same or better than the 3's you've had also?

Colonic irrigation for cars:
IMG_4851_zpsw2mr6ojn.jpg

I'll be throwing these in and taking it for a blast at the weekend!!!

I'm not accustomed to using Forte products though I've seen the name about a lot, what exactly do those do? Do they make much of a difference and given your engine is a PD and mines a CR, what difference would those do for you as opposed for me?

--Lee

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
since having the 4's for a bit now would you rate them the same or better than the 3's you've had also?

I'm not accustomed to using Forte products though I've seen the name about a lot, what exactly do those do? Do they make much of a difference and given your engine is a PD and mines a CR, what difference would those do for you as opposed for me?

--Lee

I'd say grip wise between the 3s n 4s they are both excellent. The only disappointment I have in the 3s is that at 8000 miles they are just over 3mm. I was planning on taking them off at just under 3mm. But they are worn enough that I've got a substantial loss of grip (for the way I drive) so I'm tempted to swap em out now. But max 9000 miles doesn't seem a lot for the price I paid. The 4s promise 20% more miles. Guess I'll see.

The Forte stuff is supposed to clean some of the sludge out of the injectors, cylinders and also claims to clean the turbo, DPF and EGR. I think it only makes a difference if your car is really clogged up with cheap fuel (which mine was). So its made a massive difference for me! Um, mines the CR170 also.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Spent 4 hours cleaning the car this weekend :blink: May have gone a bit overboard with the wax:
OiMG3bb.jpg

However, am really pleased with the result:
pwCk85S.jpg

z1SnwLD.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zardoz

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Cause she's worth it!
4T3p6gI.jpg

Despite mixed reviews, really impressed with this and going to add a shot every time before I fill up!

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Out of interest what has impressed you?

I'm always dubious about these products..

It makes the car feel so much more responsive. I don't think it increases performance, more restores it. But the reason I started with such things is because I was suffering random power loss and my car felt dead. Eg, I could push my foot to the floor in 2nd @ 2000 revs and watch the revs slowly climb. As I'd got used to being able to do that, the first time I did it after the Forte / Millers it was whiplash and a bout of traction control light. So I'm positive my car was in a bad way. It had been in the garage 3 times for it, but no error codes = no idea.

Just to clarify... I'd been suffering the power loss for about 2 months. I used the Forte / Millers across about 6 weeks. Passengers have claimed to be up to 23% more terrified when I drive which is good news to me!

Last edited:

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
I'd say grip wise between the 3s n 4s they are both excellent. The only disappointment I have in the 3s is that at 8000 miles they are just over 3mm. I was planning on taking them off at just under 3mm. But they are worn enough that I've got a substantial loss of grip (for the way I drive) so I'm tempted to swap em out now. But max 9000 miles doesn't seem a lot for the price I paid. The 4s promise 20% more miles. Guess I'll see.

The Forte stuff is supposed to clean some of the sludge out of the injectors, cylinders and also claims to clean the turbo, DPF and EGR. I think it only makes a difference if your car is really clogged up with cheap fuel (which mine was). So its made a massive difference for me! Um, mines the CR170 also.

Ahh, haha MY BAD! I didn't realise yours was a CR engine too, I should have known but due to constantly seeing PD's I had PD in my head at the time! :doh:

I've used that Millers on my last ride, not used it on this but will give it a shot as nothings been done to the car before me in terms of keeping it up and smiling! Power seems to be fine but giving it a shot of millers can't hurt it! :D

Never used the Forte before though, but seen a few places recommend it, what would you say outweighs the other? Forte or Millers?

I'd most likely be needing new tyres every year then with that mileage on the 3s though my wallet wouldn't like me for it! :D

Just to clarify... I'd been suffering the power loss for about 2 months. I used the Forte / Millers across about 6 weeks. Passengers have claimed to be up to 23% more terrified when I drive which is good news to me!

Now that is nice to see haha! I like the idea behind that hahaha! :rofl:

--Lee

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Sorry for double post! Missed the quote for the cleaning, done a smashing job and well waxed haha! :)

--Lee

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Never used the Forte before though, but seen a few places recommend it, what would you say outweighs the other? Forte or Millers?

I'd most likely be needing new tyres every year then with that mileage on the 3s though my wallet wouldn't like me for it! :D

Now that is nice to see haha! I like the idea behind that hahaha! :rofl:

Hmm, I think the Forte is a once a year thing. Whereas the Millers is once a tank. And the price reflects its. Both are £15. The Forte uses the whole bottle, the Millers lasts 10 tanks.

I've consigned myself to the fact its new fronts every year and new rears every two.

Accelerating really quick also means less people ask me for a lift :D

Sorry for double post! Missed the quote for the cleaning, done a smashing job and well waxed haha! :)

Cheers... couldn't help giving it another coat the weekend... shiny shiny shiny... :D

leacR2P.jpg

Looks good, nice little read! Look forward to seeing what's next

Cheers. Saving for boring stuff at the mo... got new front tyres soon followed by a 4 year service.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise