Seat Leon FR Hybrid battery charging.

Feb 19, 2024
Hello all,

I’ve recently purchased a Seat Leon Fr Hybrid that is a couple of years old.
I’m trying to find the most efficient way to charge the battery. My commute is approx 20 miles round trip.
Should I…
A) use all the battery then charge it to 100%
B) top up the battery after I get home from work each night.
C) keep the battery between 30% - 80% charge ( I’ve read elsewhere that you shouldn’t always charge batteries to the full 100% or let them get too low either? )

I’ve noticed the battery charges to almost 100% in around 4.5 hours - but soon after leaving it drops pretty quickly. I know there are lots of variables and i don’t know how the previous owner drove/charged it.
would appreciate any advice. I use a three pin charging unit.

many thanks in advance
Neilo

Shoveitpusher

Jan 7, 2023
Used to have a 45 mile round trip, I used to commute on electric, fully charge at work, then drive home and charge again.
I now have to run hybrid mode all the time so charge over night.
Neither option seems to have affected range.
Cold and wet weather on the other hand knocks 10 to 15 miles off the range

Feb 19, 2024
Used to have a 45 mile round trip, I used to commute on electric, fully charge at work, then drive home and charge again.
I now have to run hybrid mode all the time so charge over night.
Neither option seems to have affected range.
Cold and wet weather on the other hand knocks 10 to 15 miles off the range
Thanks for your reply!
I’ve spoken to a Tesla owner that says she never gets the quotes range - she also said she only charges to 80 percent, and as you said weather and temp can effect the range and hills etc. mine dropped so quickly today but as I said it is a few years old and I don’t know if the previous owner charged regularly.
I read this about batteries so might try, but perhaps it applies to full EV cars.

“Never let your battery sit at 100% charge. Generally speaking, lithium-ion batteries do best when they operate in the 30%-80% charge range. Although it may take some extra planning, prolonging the time spent within that middle range may extend the life of your battery.”

Shoveitpusher

Jan 7, 2023
Couple of things to consider.
I’m pretty sure the % shown is available charge not absolute charge
Vag would probably deal with max and min charging in the car software
I know the batteries don’t like dropping below a certain level, but not heard of them not liking full charge.
Remember Tesla’s charge at a much higher rate, something that does shorten battery life, especially when going to full charge

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
The eHybrid doesn't let you set a max percent charge. The built in departure time isn't that great (at least for me) I've it currently set to 8am when I depart, but have tried setting it to 9am, either way its at 100% when I set off. I think I've even tried setting it to 10am, and still found it at 100% 😂

Mar 2, 2024
London
If you're an Octopus Energy customer you can switch to Intelligent Go tariff. They communicate directly with the car and only charge during off-peak times (7.5p kW/hr). In the app you can set to 80% charge so that's how I limit it.

Reactions: C_ED_99