Seat leon fr tdi (remapped) vs Honda civic type r (new shape)

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
I know this may sound a bit of a stupid title guys. Basically got my car a couple of weeks ago, and one of the boys in work was giving a bit of stick. Quote " i see you've got a new fiat/seat" And basically he was ripping into it in light hearted gesture as slow (even with a remap) as he has apparantly left one in his civic for dust lol, spanish, and a poor all rounder compared to the type r. Was just looking for guys opinions on both cars, for build quality, performance (handling,pace) with remap and as an everyday car compared to the type r. If anyone has possibly had the chance to compare both cars or has had encounters. Cheers

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Whats the leon running then? One thing is for sure, a tank full of fuel will last longer in the leon :p

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Chalk and Cheese.

One revs like mad but never really seems to get anywhere fast, the other sounds like a tractor but pulls through the gears in a rapid way.

One has a dashboard from a USS Enterprise with lights and buttons flashing at you. The other has a dashboard made by Spock in his garage using parts from a crashed, rusty Klingon spaceship.

One looks like a set square with 4 wheels.

The other is the Leon

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
The civic would be faster from stand-still. You might beat him for a short time in 2nd/3rd but you wouldn't have the rev range to take it very far beyond that.

Poverty

The leon should do it, but those type r's can be quick, well the old shape anyway.

Sep 5, 2009
Midlands
I test drove a new shape type r around 3 weeks ago for around 1 hour and my back still aches from the ridiculous suspension setup, my ears are still ringing too tho they do sound good, but no they definately aint that fast

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
My non-remapped Tdi FR with 191.7bhp whipped a new shaped civic type R, but that was up a slight incline. And i don't mean crawling past it. On a flat i don't believe there would be much in it until 80+, but a remapped TDi FR might be different. Get a DPF delete and then you can truly run rings round your friend with a 225-245bhp diesel that will do 50+mpg. The problem with the civic is lack of torque and hill and acceleration is severely blunted. Handling if both are standard the Type R is probably a bit better tho.

Last edited:

Martin_DSG

Apr 26, 2009
Stevenage
i feel your pain. my mate has the old shape type r and constanly rags me, something about a washing machine.
well.......im now pushing 208bhp and 312lb/ft with a DSG and cant wait to get the chance to destroy him, tho i think the rolling start is a good idea.

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
I had a fr Tdi for a hire car for a week, my mate has the old type r and we had a few blasts and he couldn't get past untill 100+ and then he would only crawl past, so id say you would have quite an advantage from a rolling start

belfastchris45

Apr 8, 2009
belfast
DPF delete all the way.

New shape Type R's are slow. As the godly like clarkson once stated, the new shape type r is a step backwards. ts heavier and has slightly less power than the old shape.

Runing 234bhp ad 370lbs it doesnt stand a chance. It will have you off the line, but you will catch it. Rolling start and just wave bye bye :p

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I test drove a new shape type r around 3 weeks ago for around 1 hour and my back still aches from the ridiculous suspension setup, my ears are still ringing too tho they do sound good, but no they definately aint that fast

:lol:

I agree - that was my experience also...the type R is great for a trackday car, but a complete pain on the road...so boy-racer it's not true. :no:

And I thought the Leon had a fierce ride until I tried the Honda... :wtf:

What's more you can see little out of the rear window, (which freezes in winter) and can't let your mates in the back easily...

Overall, it makes the Leon seem like a DBS by comparison ! :D

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
a mapped diesel has soo much more torque it'll keep pulling away from the Honda. As mentioned above, from a stading start the Honda will have the advantage but not for long.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
It would pull away but then you'd be changing gear far sooner than the honda which may well lose it for you

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Just to add my 2 pence worth, the new Type R only has 1 more bhp then the old but is heavier, I think a remapped TDI FR would take it, even more so on rolling start, have a look at the 888 Astra diesel VS the VXR Astra doing a rolling start, the VXR has 40bhp on the 888 but the diesel still pulls away :D

Danny.

burnsy_b

FR 170 AKA THE CLANKS
Apr 25, 2009
LEEDS W YORKS
Trust me this isn't the case

i can also agree rob, from the line ive pulled away from a type R, its all about getting the perfect launch of the line. think about it, the Type R has to get hi in the rev range befor getting V-Tec were as our FR's have the low down torque. before they hit V-Tec in 1st your banging into second an siitting the arse of the leon down :lol:

steveyg

CANDY WHITE FR!!
Feb 19, 2008
Hey all thought id join in this one as i have a dpf-delete on my fr tdi and running approx 230bhp, my mate has a type r but old shape not the new one but we think its had some tuning as its got spoon stickers on engine n back end.....

i can confirm it is very quick we had a short race, in lower gears the type r just edged it but when i got into high 3rd,4th,5th,6th i pulled away 143mph :p

but we dont think its a stock type r so hard to compare

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.