Should I buy the Leon or Ibiza?

sebouh00

Hi. I'm looking to buy a car, but i can't choose between the SEAT Ibiza Style (full option including sunroof) or the SEAT Leon S Emocion. I've read a few reviews on both cars, yet i can't decide. The Leon costs a bit more, so I'm thinking of the manual (much cheaper). Although the Ibiza has DGS-7 gearbox, I don't mind the manual.

I just want to know why Leon costs more? What sort of advantages does it have? The S Emocion has the 1.6 V petrol engine 102 PS, and the Ibiza has the 1.6V petrol engine 105 PS. According to the Top Gear car review, the Ibiza sucks, and the 1.6V Leon isn't impressive either. But I can't afford the better ones.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section. I couldn't find a general question section. Also, the fact that i've posted it in here, shows that i'm kind of leaning towards the Leon.

Thanks for your help.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Neither will set your world on fire performance wise, I guess it depends on what you want from a car?

If it's size, pick the Leon. If it's compact, pick the Ibiza.

DSG 7 speed is relatively untested (but warranted for 3yrs)

If it's performance you're after, buy second hand

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Hi. I'm looking to buy a car, but i can't choose between the SEAT Ibiza Style (full option including sunroof) or the SEAT Leon S Emocion. I've read a few reviews on both cars, yet i can't decide. The Leon costs a bit more, so I'm thinking of the manual (much cheaper). Although the Ibiza has DGS-7 gearbox, I don't mind the manual.

I just want to know why Leon costs more? What sort of advantages does it have? The S Emocion has the 1.6 V petrol engine 102 PS, and the Ibiza has the 1.6V petrol engine 105 PS. According to the Top Gear car review, the Ibiza sucks, and the 1.6V Leon isn't impressive either. But I can't afford the better ones.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section. I couldn't find a general question section. Also, the fact that i've posted it in here, shows that i'm kind of leaning towards the Leon.

Thanks for your help.
There are some very good deals out there in the secondhand market [ but make sure you pick up extended warranty too] 58-59 plates seem to have less of the problems that were in the early builds.

The Leon is a medium sized hatchback and the Ibiza is a small hatchback - that's the main difference.

Personally I think the DSG gearbox is a big plus. I would disagree with Top Gear: I haven't owned an Ibiza but I had one as a hirecar and it was really very good, especially on economy. With both cars, controls etc are standard VW stuff so feels solid and well-built.

The only issue I have with my Leon FR is the hard ride, but even that's a matter of taste... I'm sure some people must like it or they'd never have passed into production.

You'll definitely get a better deal secondhand. If you get a nearly-new then you'll most likely get the remaining warranty cover.

KzJF

Full Member on Wednesdays
Aug 7, 2009
You'll definitely get a better deal secondhand. If you get a nearly-new then you'll most likely get the remaining warranty cover.

I second that.
Get a months-old one, preferably a facelifted one :D the difference in the aesthetics is worth it.

sebouh00

I went with the Ibiza. I decided the Leon 1.6 just isn't good enough, even thought it is a damn gorgeous car.
Let's hope i made the right decision. You can't test drive a car here, so I based my decision on online reviews. I found the Ibiza very cheap from the inside, but the SE version with the additional updates makes it an okay one. And the DSG is a big plus there, so...

Hopefully in 5 years time, i'll trade it in for a Leon FR :D.

Thanks for your help guys. :)

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location

Thanks for your help.

If i was you there are better cars from other marques for the money , and better looking ones , i dont think you can go wrong with the new generation focus , looks good and goes well.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.