Small bit of condensation in lights..

alexlew69

Jan 17, 2024
Wales
Just picked up a seat cupra 300 estate. And I have noticed a small amount of condensation in the head lights. Should I worry about this ? Is there something I can do ?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that a sweeping statement might be "this is in part due to the outer covers now being made of a plastic and many of the headlights being LED" - the plastic slows down the transfer of current ambient air temperature into the headlamp interior and the LED headlights are more energy efficient than older tungsten filament and so do not force any collected/trapped moisture to evaporate as quickly as it would in older headlamp units. Also, new/used cars for sale tend to washed/prepared using pressure washers and that might have forced some water into that assembly.
My old 2011 Audi S4 does end up with moisture (condensed on the inside of the covers) on its fog lights after it has been washed - without using a pressure washer, but that clears away - slowly in winter though!

Reactions: alexlew69

alexlew69

Jan 17, 2024
Wales
With the current weather being -2 and then warm in the day I thought it may be due to that. It was also washed yesterday before I picked it up. I will have to keep my eye on it

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Once you have enough moisture in the headlamp it will condense out onto the coldest surface first. When the lamp heats the condensation goes back into the warmer air, which can hold more moisture.
You can use silica gel packets on a string through the lamphole if there is one, seal it up, to dry out the insides somewhat. Maybe a dry rag on a sick etc.
You can try using a dry gas, for example to replace the air in the headlamp to get better results.

Reactions: alexlew69

alexlew69

Jan 17, 2024
Wales
Once you have enough moisture in the headlamp it will condense out onto the coldest surface first. When the lamp heats the condensation goes back into the warmer air, which can hold more moisture.
You can use silica gel packets on a string through the lamphole if there is one, seal it up, to dry out the insides somewhat. Maybe a dry rag on a sick etc.
You can try using a dry gas, for example to replace the air in the headlamp to get better results.
Ok thank you, I had a delivery yesterday and kept the little silica packs for this so I will try and sort them out when the weather is a little better

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Are the LED headlamp units completely hermetically sealed - or do they have small vent holes?
Been thinking of putting the unit in a warm oven - to dry it out - then seal it up, but would obviously need to seal any little weep holes?

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I don't know how they are constructed, pressure relief is likely to be there.
You need to replace the air inside with something containing less moisture.
Warming a container will cause the condensation to go into the air, not dry the unit.
Warm air can contain more moisture than cold which is why condensation disappears, it just moves into the air.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise