Smoking on tickover but not while drive help?

Weasel

Hi guys I have a yellow cupra and recently it's started smoking only on tickover if I drive it I get no smoke what so ever I have done a compression test and all 4 cylinders are at 175psi which is mint also did a leak test and all cylinders help pressure so the rings seem fine was thinking valve stems and guides any one hive a similar problem please help

Weasel

Smoking while on tickover but not while driving please help

Hi guys and girls I have a 51 plate cupra and it recently started to smoke on tickover if u bring the revs up or while driving it does not smoke I did a compression test and all four cylinders are at 175 psi which is mint also did a leak test and all cylinders held pressure so can only leave valve stems right? Please help

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Back to M0rk's question, what colour is the smoke? What does it smell of?

The reason is that quite a few cars 'smoke' at tickover, it's actually steam from the catalytic converter and is perfectly normal.

If it's blue and smells of oil, then it could be other problems. But to be honest, I was under the impression oil leaks show more when the engine is working hard, whereas you're saying it's only there at tickover which is the wrong way round.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
But to be honest, I was under the impression oil leaks show more when the engine is working hard, whereas you're saying it's only there at tickover which is the wrong way round.

If it's the valve stems then the vacuum at tickover will pull the oil past them where as under load it won't.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.