Software fixes in the pipeline

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
It’s a shame ‘physical upgrades’ doesn’t mean they’ll update our cars (as ‘upgrade’ implies), but will eventually upgrade the system in new cars.

I can’t understand how un-illuminated sliders made it through to production without anyone saying ‘hang on a minute…’. Did they not drive the thing at night during the development process?

The bean counters strike again I assume.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Really interesting article that Spivvy. There's no way the unilluminated sliders will get upgraded to illuminated ones in our current cars but at least the problems are being recognised! Time will tell 🫰.
Very happy with my V2 eHybrid 204 btw.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Really interesting article that Spivvy. There's no way the unilluminated sliders will get upgraded to illuminated ones in our current cars but at least the problems are being recognised! Time will tell 🫰.
Very happy with my V2 eHybrid 204 btw.
They will just supply the dealers with headband torches to give to us all.

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
Has anyone that is on 1896 been updated over the air yet to either 1898 or 1899?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
They will just supply the dealers with headband torches to give to us all.
Already on it!
headlight jpg.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
My hope is that it is a part that can be retrofitted...
lt might not be as simple as retro-fitting a part to current cars, especially if the new hardware is a different design to the current infotainment screen.

The linked article in the first post in this discussion topic states that new hardware will be installed ‘within the next 18 months’, so I suspect installation of new hardware with illuminated slider controls may coincide with a model’s mid life facelift. That gives VAG the opportunity to change the design e.g. to also incorporate a lower row of physical buttons seen in the pictures in the linked article; if they do change the design, then parts may not be readily interchangeable between the current hardware in existing cars and any new redesigned version.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
lt might not be as simple as retro-fitting a part to current cars, especially if the new hardware is a different design to the current infotainment screen.

The linked article in the first post in this discussion topic states that new hardware will be installed ‘within the next 18 months’, so I suspect installation of new hardware with illuminated slider controls may coincide with a model’s mid life facelift. That gives VAG the opportunity to change the design e.g. to also incorporate a lower row of physical buttons seen in the pictures in the linked article; if they do change the design, then parts may not be readily interchangeable between the current hardware in existing cars and any new redesigned version.

Good point, but let's wait and see - could also be someone finds a way to make an hybrid.

johnmcclane

Jun 29, 2021
As an experience designer, I'm amazed of the decisions automakers (not only vag) are currently making, by removing most (if not all) of the physical buttons, pushing everything onto screen or via capacitive touch buttons. Like opening glove box in model 3 is berried somewhere deep in the settings...
About time they started actually listening end users.

But I guess its what millennials want: A bigger ipad slapped on top of the center console :unsure:

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
As an experience designer, I'm amazed of the decisions automakers (not only vag) are currently making, by removing most (if not all) of the physical buttons, pushing everything onto screen or via capacitive touch buttons. Like opening glove box in model 3 is berried somewhere deep in the settings...
About time they started actually listening end users.

But I guess its what millennials want: A bigger ipad slapped on top of the center console :unsure:
Maybe they finally are listening. VW are to stop fitting steering wheels with capacitive touch pads to the mk8 Golf performance models and revert back to steering wheels with conventional buttons. And judging by the linked article posted by @Spivvy in the first post in this discussion topic, some physical buttons are also making a comeback.

Touch screens might be what millennials want but not all car owners are millennials; I’m not (and I also pre-date Generation X) and I’m glad my car has conventional buttons, switches and knobs for the most-used functions.

Reactions: Seastormer

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I don't see the issue with the touchscreens when it's your car and you're using it all the time, you learn where things are - but I accept it may take longer for some people than others. I quite enjoy finding new things and learning how it all works, I appreciate others don't.

The issue I do see is when the car is for temporary use, e.g. a hire car, courtesy car, etc. and then when trying to find something, understand how it works, etc. is a complete, frustrating nightmare.

Reactions: Hizzards

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
Being an old fart ( well the wife says I am ) it took me a little while to realise that you don't touch the bars where the +- indicators are, but the touch pads above them. Having worked that out it's pretty easy.

Reactions: Seastormer
May 30, 2022
Has anyone that is on 1896 been updated over the air yet to either 1898 or 1899?
I am still on A896, and haven't seen any notifications to update. Apparently the date your car was built might have some to do with the timeline on when the OTA update might be available.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.