Spare wheel advice

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Never used one myself but Aussie truckers have used them for years as 'get you home' repairs.
Well they don't have a lot of options and have lots of tyres sharing the load.

I'm not saying the idea is unappealing or don't make sense to me but if it were a good option I think it would be more widely used. I'm a bit suspicious of things you can only get iffy internet sites!

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
The tyres come off for repair so you can see any damage and then decide if a permanent repair is viable. Then it could be considered a permanent repair.
Until then it will be temporary regardless of the method.
Gluing rubber plugs in the tyre is pretty much the only way tyres get repaired, but it requires some level of skill, unlike squirting a gel in the valve and rotating it. That's why those kits are in cars instead of rubber plugs.
H & S concerns are very real changing a tyre and whilst back in the day that was how we did it, it's safer for everyone to just get recovery or squirt a fluid in the tyre and then get it replaced or repaired.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Part two in this video (1.30min into the vid) show another method with "Mushroom plugg" I never seen it before .

The mushroom system is what we carry on the motorbikes.

The most well known version is the Stop & Go tire plugger

I have known guys use the repaired tyres above 150mph without issues.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think this sums things up quite well: LINK

When you plug a tyre from the outside, you do not know if the tyre has damage on the inside. My wife drove on a flat brand new tyre, one day old. It looked perfect once inflated but when the fitter took it off the rim the inside of the tyre wall was shredded. My daughter did the same thing recently.

You don't know how well the plug is fitted. If the tyre is off the rim you can see the inside of the plug. The plugs garages use also have bigger heads, because they are fitted from the inside. The head of the plug cannot go through the hole.

If you plug a tyre, a garage won't fix it.

Having a spare wheel should be mandatory.

Bikers probably aren't a good example to cite as everyone knows they're crazy anyway! ;0)

Reactions: LeylandVCDS

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
No, neither would but it's supposed to be temporary. You're supposed to drive slowly and take the tyre to a garage as soon as possible but who's going to do that? My bet is that most people just forget about it.
Totally agree with this, folks never heed advice and guidance.......I was heading down the M6 yesterday afternoon in the wagon, flat out at 56mph, and was overtaken by a Jaguar XF with a bicycle size space saver spare nearside rear, and he went past me like I was stood still. He must have been pushing 90mph on the thing. Absolutely stupid..... But karma later, a camera flashed when he went through a red X :D

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Picking up my ST this morning - can I just confirm that the ST boot WILL take a full size spare? Thanks

Yes it will. My wife's car has an 18'' alloy and jack kit in it right now.

That's the problem I have with foam and plug kits. They put assessing the damage to a tyre in the hands of people who are not qualified to do it. It's dangerous. A tyre could have been driven on while flat and be shredded inside but look fine once inflated. The tyre my wife killed did. That tyre could be filled with foam crap and forgotten about only to let go on the motorway a year later.

It's sick and shouldn't be allowed. They take out the spare wheel to save polar bears but they don't take out the air conditioning do they? And we've still got the electric windows, mirrors etc. But something that can actually get you to where you need to go, something critical to the basic functionality of the car, that is optional.

fuzzylogic

May 22, 2021
Buy a repair kit. I did to my mk3 Cupra R. I also bought a oem jack, never used, on a scrap yard.
Then it is possible to remove the wheel and repair the puncture. Since I have the 4 pot bremo calipers/370mm brake discs it is not possible to use space save spare wheel in front.
Space saver on the rear, rear to front sorted.
Done it on my Mk 3 Cupra R ST ABT

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Space saver on the rear, rear to front sorted.
Done it on my Mk 3 Cupra R ST ABT
Two swaps, rear to front if puncture on front. Save spare 18" on rear. Possible.....but to circumstantially.

PS Full size 19" wont fit not an option. Have also beats audio sub in trunk. I will stick to the repair kit :).

Last edited:

dundeedek

Jun 22, 2023
Cheers for the advice everyone, very much appreciated! I'll have a look for a spare/ full size alloy. I'm looking to change the 18's for 17's for a bit more comfort in time so will maybe go for a 17" alloy in prep (and can use that as a spare - same principle I take it, smaller rim, more rubber but same diameter).

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That kit I recommended fits in a 16'' or 17'' wheel too obviously. What tyres do you have in 18'' and what pressure are you running?

Reactions: dundeedek

dundeedek

Jun 22, 2023
That kit I recommended fits in a 16'' or 17'' wheel too obviously. What tyres do you have in 18'' and what pressure are you running?
Ideal!

The pressures were quite high from the dealer so brought them down to 33. (They were are 37/38)

Nexen SU1 on the front and Bridgestone Potenza S001's on the rear (neither my choice!)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Better tyres will help. I don't know the Nexen but the Bridgestone is a firm tyre. I'm using Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric5 and don't find them harsh. 33psi is a bit low is it not?

A 17'' tyre will be a bit softer but it's not a huge change. It might not be enough to be worth the hassle.

Reactions: dundeedek

dundeedek

Jun 22, 2023
Better tyres will help. I don't know the Nexen but the Bridgestone is a firm tyre. I'm using Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric5 and don't find them harsh. 33psi is a bit low is it not?

A 17'' tyre will be a bit softer but it's not a huge change. It might not be enough to be worth the hassle.
Mine sadly doesn't have the DCC - just the basic suspension. If yours is the same and you find those tyres fine I'll maybe just go for a tyre change in the first instance. It does feel firmer at the back so it's maybe the Bridgestones.

Comfort pressure is down as 32 I think, but could be wrong.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Mine sadly doesn't have the DCC - just the basic suspension. If yours is the same and you find those tyres fine I'll maybe just go for a tyre change in the first instance. It does feel firmer at the back so it's maybe the Bridgestones.

Comfort pressure is down as 32 I think, but could be wrong.
Oh I can't remember but I thought the comfort setting was 35. The Bridgstones are not great. Not just the ride but the general handling and poise was a lot better with the Goodyears. If you live in the city with loads of potholes I guess any 18'' tyre is going to be tough though. The things we do for fashion eh? ;0)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
There's a comfort pressure for tyres?
So it seems. For the 18'' tyres on the Leon they quote a range with the lowest value being the comfort setting.

I tend to pick tyre pressures by looking at tyre wear. I start off on the recommended setting and see what happens.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
So it seems. For the 18'' tyres on the Leon they quote a range with the lowest value being the comfort setting.

I tend to pick tyre pressures by looking at tyre wear. I start off on the recommended setting and see what happens.
The 'comfort' pressure is what used to be the 'normal' pressure! before they brought in the 'eco' very high pressure to try to eek out less CO2 on the emissions test!

Reactions: Mr Pig and TheSwede

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Picking up my ST this morning - can I just confirm that the ST boot WILL take a full size spare? Thanks
I'm using my old Audi winter tyre/alloy for my spare - same size as the Leon - 225 45 17. Fits fine with the ST boot floor in the upper position but in the lower position the floor very slightly rocks - doesn't worry me, but must be the design of the spokes is slightly proud - it's free so can't complain!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.