Starter fault and relay seat Leon fr Cr 170

Oct 12, 2021
Hi I have been having some trouble with my Leon when starting. It intermittently won't start or crank when hot ( starts fine when cold? and upon inspection I seem to be losing the signal to crank the engine over. At the small wire going onto the starter solenoid itself. ( It starts to crank for a second and stops before it fires even with key held on) . Can anyone give me some info on the ignition system? is there any relays or connections it runs through. I checked the wire at the back of ignition switch and getting constant voltage out of the ignition when key is held on start position but not getting a constant voltage at starter. Cannt find any info related to relays online

Chris78

Oct 5, 2019
Greece
Hi I have been having some trouble with my Leon when starting. It intermittently won't start or crank when hot ( starts fine when cold? and upon inspection I seem to be losing the signal to crank the engine over. At the small wire going onto the starter solenoid itself. ( It starts to crank for a second and stops before it fires even with key held on) . Can anyone give me some info on the ignition system? is there any relays or connections it runs through. I checked the wire at the back of ignition switch and getting constant voltage out of the ignition when key is held on start position but not getting a constant voltage at starter. Cannt find any info related to relays online
I have exactly the same issue... My car is a cupra facelift 1p. This week i will go to change the whole starter motor. I hope the problem is this and not just a broken fuse or something.... My logic is that the starter made this and not just a fuse because when my car is cold it starts right away. But when it gets hot and try to start it. Its just doesn't... Only mades some clicking noises...

Jul 31, 2021
Sorry but I'm not familiar with these engines so I can't suggest any common faults - but if there is only an issue when the car is already up to temp, then you might have a heat soak issue with the starter. If the starter gets too hot, there will be too much reisistance for the necessary current to flow, in order to drive the motor. Try and see if you can feel the starter once the engine is up to temp, and see if it's unusually hot, or even too hot to hold with your hands (be careful though, don't burn yourself). If so, you might need a heat shield for it. The starter may even need replacing at worst case scenario. If it starts when cold then I doubt there's any issues with the wiring. But I could be wrong, and this is just what i would check for first.

Chris78

Oct 5, 2019
Greece
Just an update!: Today i installed a new starter motor and everything's fine!! So thats the culprit! No waiting anymore until it gets cold.. it starts right away as it should!! I hope that i helped you 😉

Oct 12, 2021
My thrust bearing on the clutch just went 2 weeks ago and I replaced the flywheel and all. My flywheel was in bad shape and when I replaced the flywheel it has cured my starting issue. And even starts alot smoother when cold. A

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.