Stereo head unit advice (iphone/ipod, moving towards subwoofer)

Well, I get a call, music fades out, Call comes into my ear when i push the button on the h/u. I can't make a call through the h/u itself, but it does the same thing if i make a call through the phone when its connected.

The earpiece is paired to the phone, not the h/u

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Well, I get a call, music fades out, Call comes into my ear when i push the button on the h/u. I can't make a call through the h/u itself, but it does the same thing if i make a call through the phone when its connected.

The earpiece is paired to the phone, not the h/u

OK, makes sense, thanks.

I can't decide where to place the iPod cable/connector doo-dah. Out of interest, where do you locate your iPhone in-car?

Ta :)

OK, makes sense, thanks.

I can't decide where to place the iPod cable/connector doo-dah. Out of interest, where do you locate your iPhone in-car?

Under the ashtrey, infront of the gear stick, the coin bit...

IMG_1024.jpg

My cable is a bit longer that I like it, and not hidden, because my mate is always 'Can I play JellyCar mate???' :whistle:

Doesn't slide around at all, but you could get one of those JML rubbery mats if you needed reassurance..

Very easy way to do it, with the h/u out, you can see into the driver foot well, with a coat hanger, or I used the OEM aerial I had just removed for my C2 one, and a rubber band, feed it through to the foot well... then just gently pull it through to the place where you see it, job done :)

If I remember, the iPhone is too fat to fit in the ashtray...

Last edited:

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Another vote for the Alpine, here's mine

iDA.jpg

Bought my LCR from a bloke in Croydon... Anyway, how do you rate the iDA-X305's sound-quality compared to the Aura (assuming you still have standard speaker set-up?) & where have you placed the iPod cable?

Last edited:
Bought my LCR from a bloke in Croydon... Anyway, how do you rate the iDA-X305 compared to the Aura (assuming you still have standard speaker set-up?) & where have you placed the iPod cable?

I think my iDA-x305 is ace, and I use the stock speaker set up... Very punchy, and much better than the Aura crap I had before. Which occasionally would have little to no bass at all for what ever reason, turn it off and on again and its fine.

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
I think my iDA-x305 is ace, and I use the stock speaker set up... Very punchy, and much better than the Aura crap I had before. Which occasionally would have little to no bass at all for what ever reason, turn it off and on again and its fine.

Thanks for your replies & advice Mr B. :)

Curious re your Aura, cos the one thing that my Aura does not lack is bass: if I crank up the bass tone-control to '+7' it rattles the windows, sends an alarming vibration through the seat-bottom (& mine :blink:) & gives that full-on 'dumm, dumm, dumm' effect that some folks seem to like. However, the mid-range sound is 'muddy' with an irritatingly harsh top-end treble - ie good hi-fi it ain't.

Well, The bass levels etc on my iDA-x305 are so good, that I took my sub out as it was total over kill, and I run it all on 0 gain levels and its prefect!

Rear view mirror and side mirrors shake enough to distort the reflection.... good sheeeeeeet!

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Well, The bass levels etc on my iDA-x305 are so good, that I took my sub out as it was total over kill, and I run it all on 0 gain levels and its prefect!

Ahh, good sound via 0 gain levels - 'tis the barometer of decent hi-fi. ;)

Will have a iDA-X305 installed asap (Weds or Thurs). :funk:

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
The unit arrived but I just can't get the damn standard Auru unit out. I'm using the credit card trick but it is proving...tricky. Thing just isn't budging, although I'm sure I can feel the springs giving way behind the cards. Of course, I can't see them so I'm not sure...

Any tips ???

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Thanks! Unfortunately, and due to a pending bed delivery, I am stuck at home until that happens. So I can't escape to the local garage in order to get the keys. Annoying!

Hence fiddling with the credit cards...

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
****, ****, ****, ****, ****, ****, ****, ****, ****, **** - & thrice-more ****!!!! [:@]

Just phoned ICE shop to arrange iDA-X305 purchase/instal, & it turns out that the iDA-X305 is not compatible with the LCR's OEM CD stacker. Crap! :cry:

Really want to have a CD option when it comes to re-sale - just my luck that the only punters who'll be interested in buying my LCR will be non-iPod luddites!

However, turns out that the best CD- & iPod-playing alternative with red illumination option - Alpine CDE-103BT - is a) cheaper (£170 vs £250), b) has same sound-quality & c) has built-in Bluetooth/handsfree, which'll mean that if 'er indoors' is driving solo, then she can still use her iPhone (f-ing thing!) + all cables & iPods/iPhones will be out-of-sight in the glove-box (I'll use an iPod Classic, with CDs ripped as Apple Lossless files :D).

In hindsight, I actually prefer the CDE-103BT's more discreet appearance. :redface:

Erm, anyone know how to remove a OEM CD stacker from the glovebox...?

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Ok, new stereo is in. I swapped red/yellow as advised and it powers up and works correctly.

My next question is regarding the plumbing of the iPod connector cable (and also the microphone cable, come to that). What is the best way of routing this? How do I get back there to see what I am doing???

Edit: It connects to my iPhone fine, and I played some music loud... ahhh... so much better than running it through the cassette adaptor (bit obviously though!)

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
I'm glad I keep packaging. The sound quality of the Alpine is AMAZING. I don't think I need the sub now as all the frequencies are so clear now. Admittedly, I am comparing this with the old cassette adaptor that I was using. Haha.

Anyway, I didn't realise when purchasing how weird Alpine's model numbering is. The 104BTi does NOT have the changable illumination but the 103BT does. The only difference is the former comes with the iPod cable. Which when taken into consideration, makes the price the same...

Bit weird that one has the illumination and the other one does not.

Soooo... thanks to Distant Selling Regulations I'll be swapping that out. Alpine's blue is just TOO blue (Even when dimmed on the buttons. Going for red, naturally, to match the other interior lights.

A minor point really as everything else is working great, although I think I need to pick up the powered aerial adaptor...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise