stripped threads on sump

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
Cant believe this shite[:@] :censored:
I went to change the oil and oil filter today and the sump plug or sump threads must be rung as the plug is just spinning and now it wont even tighten up again.
I had put a tin of engine flush in with the oil before i tried to take the sump plug out and now i cant even get the engine flush and oil out. So i cant drive it either

I done a quick search and it seems this is a problem with alot of seats
:help: :help:

A9_SLU

A9 SLU
Nov 22, 2006
Portsmouth/Wiltshire
Does not sound good mate i think you have done the right thing not to drive it with the engine flush in. I know it will be messy but can you not just take the sump plate off to get the oil out.

Last edited:

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
if you really need to get the oil out , borrow a pela pump , youll get the vast majority of it out , new sump time then karl ,

traynors have a few 1.8T engine cars last time i was up

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
if you really need to get the oil out , borrow a pela pump , youll get the vast majority of it out , new sump time then karl ,

traynors have a few 1.8T engine cars last time i was up

where about is traynors
will any 1.8t sump fit or are they different.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
its between moy and armagh , 10 mins from dungannon off the m1

am searching now karl

EDIT Looks like any AYP AQX will do ,,

EDIT 2 . any 1.8T thats AUM ,AGU,AUQ , so thats 150 and 180 transverse lumps from A3s , golfs etc

part is 038103601MA

Last edited:

weemzer

upside down not good!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Perthshire
just check to see if you've got the sensor hole in the sump (gearbox end)

some of them do some of them don't!

fyi the part number for the one without the sensor hole is 038 103 601ma i'm not sure of part no if u do have the sensor in the sump!

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Due too being over tightened too many times over a period of time, seen it loads on all VAG cars,

pain in the jeer mate.

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
mine is a ayp
so some ayp's may have the hole for the sensor and some may not?
ill have a look in the morning and see what which type mine is

think i might get a new sump from the staelers as long as it's not a silly price

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
Turns out my dad has a pela pump to pump the oil out the dip stick pipe so i might just weld the sump plug in place and pump the oil out the dip stick pipe in future.

GolfGTTDI

Pela pumps are brilliant. Warm the oil up...then pump away without even getting under the car! You can even leaving it sucking out the oil while you prepare other things to do with the job. A definte worthwhile investment in my eyes!

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
its not really the best selling point of the car though is it?

I'd be put off if i was told that whenever the oil change was due, i had to suck it through the dipstick....

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
its not really the best selling point of the car though is it?

I'd be put off if i was told that whenever the oil change was due, i had to suck it through the dipstick....

it will have to do for a quick fix til i get a new sump as i need the car on the road.

Do seat not suck it through the dipstick when you leave in in for oil change anyway

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
it will have to do for a quick fix til i get a new sump as i need the car on the road.

Do seat not suck it through the dipstick when you leave in in for oil change anyway

I honestly have no idea, what would be the point of Seat designing a sump with a plug on the bottom if they're not gonna make use if it?

I can understand if its gonna be a quick fix as you dont really have any other option apart from buying a new one at the moment. i know it will take a bit of time but if you were to take the sump off.......wouldnt it be possible to drill the thread out and re-tap the hole with the next size thread up? Might save you money in the long run??

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
Another option which may or may not be feasable is talk to an engineering shop and see if they can Helicoil the sump as not sure if aluminium can be helicoiled. May have to take sump off vehicle aswell depending on if any bits of swarf (metal) would get into the sump if on vehicle, decent place will tell you best way.

Don't quote me but I think it is around £25 ish to have a thread that size helicoiled. Would also be as strong as original thread aswell. Just depends if they want the sump off the vehicle to do it (can't say if they would or not as we get local engine machiners to helicoil things at work for us and we haven't had to have a sump done yet).

May be worth looking into.

Last edited:

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
i would definately take the sump off!! thers is no way i would risk any slight bit of swarf entering the oil lines.......whatever you decide to do there are a couple of options anyway.

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
i would definately take the sump off!! thers is no way i would risk any slight bit of swarf entering the oil lines.

Personally I would aswell if i was to have it drilled/helicoiled. But if I/he is gonna take the sump off I'd put a second hand one on depending on price maybe a new one.

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
OK i got all the oil and engine flush out with a Pela pump which really makes changing the oil easy:D

The sump plug cant be welded up anyway as it's a steel plug and alloy sump so it would be a bitch to weld. So just to make sure it wont leak until i get it fixed properly i glued around the sump plug to seal with Scotch weld which is possible the strongest glue ever (use it in work to glue parts of aircraft together)

So i think i will get a new sump and before i fit it i might take it into work and get a steel helicoiled fitted which should fix it permanently

After doing a search it seems to be a common fault which may be the reason seat suck the oil out the dip stick

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members