Switching wheels Ibiza/Cordoba

Oswald

I don't know much about cars, so I thought I'ld ask you guys...

Since my worn out Ibiza won't start anymore, I've got my eye on a secondhand Cordoba Vario. But the Vario's tires are pretty worn out. I had just put new tires on my Ibiza, so I'ld like to swap the wheels, if this is possible.

The Ibiza has 16" rims, the Vario has 14" rims. Can I swap these wheels out? The height is 45 on the Ibiza tires, the height on the Vario is 60. I forgot the width of the tires, I think it's 205 on the Ibiza vs 175 on the Vario...

So:
Will they fit?
Will this be legal?
Will this affect steering, ride quality of the Vario?

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
I don't know much about cars, so I thought I'ld ask you guys...

Since my worn out Ibiza won't start anymore, I've got my eye on a secondhand Cordoba Vario. But the Vario's tires are pretty worn out. I had just put new tires on my Ibiza, so I'ld like to swap the wheels, if this is possible.

The Ibiza has 16" rims, the Vario has 14" rims. Can I swap these wheels out? The height is 45 on the Ibiza tires, the height on the Vario is 60. I forgot the width of the tires, I think it's 205 on the Ibiza vs 175 on the Vario...

So:
Will they fit?
Will this be legal?
Will this affect steering, ride quality of the Vario?

In short, Yes to all the above

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Yup - run 195/45/16R on the van (or I will be again) - have also run 205/45/16R and they're fine too

45 profiles are fine, and when comparing the speedo to GPS it's bob on

Oswald

Just read online somewhere that the new Ibiza has 5 hole rims...

My 10year old Ibiza only has 4 hole rims... Don't know what type is on the Vario, since it has steel wheels with plastic covers. And I forgot to ask the dealer.

Anyone know what wheels the Vario has? It's a 2003 model.

Oswald

Just got the car. It's a lot nicer then my worn out Ibiza, less noise and more comfort. More then enough room to transport my bicycles. The brakes probably need an overhaul, since they don't have a lot of power.

What pressure would you guys recommend for the tires? I used to run 2.3 on the Ibiza. I expect the Vario needs more, since it's heavier?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I run about 32/34 psi in the van....

I bought mine for bike transport, and we fitted 3 up bikes all in the car before.

brakes do suck big time though

Oswald

34 psi is about 2.3 bar, so I guess I'll just leave them as is.

I can fit my bicycle without putting the back seats down, if I take out the wheels. With the seats down, I can leave the wheels in.

Speakers are pretty crappy as well. Will probably replace those with something better in the near future. I don't need a dancing on wheels, but I can't stand creaking speakers.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.