The old screenwash scam

sicasey

FR Derv Power
Jul 24, 2005
Cheshire
Just had my car in for a service. I allways make a point of filling up the washer bottle right to the top before i take it in for a service as i cant stand being ripped off for the screen wash that they allways add on. Anyway as i was suspecting i have been charged £2.80 for non existent screen wash - i was in too much of a rush to even notice at 6pm tonight but it those kind of tricks that make you want to find another dealer for servicing.

Oh yeh and we had agreed a price for the service beforehand which had jumped up £7 when i arrived. Rubbish. :censored:

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I have just been quoted £84.07 for a 10,000 mile service from a family run Seat garage. :)

Phoned Arnold Clark and they wanted about £160!! :wtf:

What was the service you just had?? :confused:

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Make sure it isnt THE 10k service that cars get if they do 30k+ miles a year.

You will probably need the 10k service that is basically the 12 month service.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I had heard there were 2 services. The car is a year old next March.

Does that mean it will need a 12 month servcie then as well?

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
sicasey said:
Just had my car in for a service. I allways make a point of filling up the washer bottle right to the top before i take it in for a service as i cant stand being ripped off for the screen wash that they allways add on. Anyway as i was suspecting i have been charged £2.80 for non existent screen wash - i was in too much of a rush to even notice at 6pm tonight but it those kind of tricks that make you want to find another dealer for servicing.

After having a very loud argument with a dealership I found out something very interesting. VAG supply a kit with all the parts for a standard service. It is much cheaper (for the dealer) to buy the kit rather than the parts separately, and the kit includes the screenwash.

So actually the dealer should charge you less for using the kit (and hence the screenwash) than doing the service without it.

You can always get them to leave the sachet of screenwash concentrate in the car...

Simon.

Myles

Jun 22, 2004
Carterton, Oxon
TheOtherSimon said:
After having a very loud argument with a dealership I found out something very interesting. VAG supply a kit with all the parts for a standard service. It is much cheaper (for the dealer) to buy the kit rather than the parts separately, and the kit includes the screenwash.

So actually the dealer should charge you less for using the kit (and hence the screenwash) than doing the service without it.

You can always get them to leave the sachet of screenwash concentrate in the car...

Simon.
We need to see if we can get hold of the kit, perhaps from one of the parts dealers that are on the forum. It would be top banana to get the kit AND get 10% off. Any ideas if we can do this anybody?

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
DonnyBoy said:
I had heard there were 2 services. The car is a year old next March.

Does that mean it will need a 12 month servcie then as well?

No mate (unless you do a bizzillion miles a year). You only need one service (which should be the fuill 12 month service) at 10k miles, then your next one should be at 20k miles or 2 years old (whichever occurs 1st).

I'm in the same boat as you, just hit 9k miles, will need one in early December !!!!!!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Myles said:
We need to see if we can get hold of the kit, perhaps from one of the parts dealers that are on the forum. It would be top banana to get the kit AND get 10% off. Any ideas if we can do this anybody?

This isnt a bad idea, i'm sure one of the dealers on here will confirm something about this kit if there is one.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
£2.80 for a screenwash?

At work, the official Renault/Nissan screenwashes are about 83p+VAT. If the reservoir is full, we tend to put the screenwash bottle in the glovebox.

All manufacturers have specifications on servicing. They state a screenwash should be included in every job. The garage does as the manufacturer tells them and books it out. The poor service receptionists aren't aware that your screenwash reservoir was full, so I find it unfair if you scream at them. If you don't want it on the job, you should always tell reception first! The fleet companies do it, so can you :)

ianrawlins

Munch
Mar 21, 2005
Kent
Last time I had my car serviced (at a seat main dealer), they definately topped up the screenwasher bottle.

Driving home I needed a squirt, the screen smeared to buggery and I got a faint whiff of washing up liquid. I got home and spent 5 minutes flushing out the bottle with a hose. Am I being a complete sceptic and seat's screenwash is crap or do people think they actually put washing up liquid in the screenwasher bottle?

I didn't say anything to the dealer on fear of looking like a prat.

sicasey

FR Derv Power
Jul 24, 2005
Cheshire
I was charged £175 for a 12Month 10K service - extremerly expensive. Civic Type R 36K service is about that much! On the bright side though i have just found the bottle of VAG screenwash in the back still half full. The car now pulls even harder - very wierd. But good.

Russc

Oct 23, 2003
Kent
Visit site
Yeah i get the same, washer bottle full up and then get charged for the screenwash. I give up now and don`t bother filling the bottle. Then at least i get my monies worth :)

orca

Aug 30, 2004
N Kent
www.bdmlr.org.uk
SEAT are paying for my service, as compensation. I'm going to empty my screen wash bottle!!!!! (10k or 12 month) They are also paying for my 20k 2year service, as compensation. Called out SEAt assistance (AA) they stuffed up and are giving me £50 compensation...good investment these SEATS!!!

WGSEAT

hi guys, some valid comments there hope this will clear it up for you.

service packs available as a kit from SEAT complete b*****s, you have been fobbed off there im afraid.

screenwash, this problem happens all the time basically when the receptionist is making your bill she or he has a little list of consumables and topups they have to charge for unless told utherwise, best to let them know when you arrive because I can bet the mechanic will forget

Pagnobito

No more LCR
Sep 24, 2002
Almost Maidstone
Visit site
The last two services I have had, (and I have a lot) I have asked that they do not touch the washer bottle, and when I returned they have charged me.
Both times I complained and got a 500ml bottle of screen wash.

Incidentally as we are talking about screenwash, mine was a bit rubbish really, not much squirt to it, the dealer said I needed a new motor, so I bought one and fitted it myself, but I found the tube coming from the motor went under the washer bottle, so I took the bottle out and found that the tube was squished flat under the bottle!!
I fitted a new bit of pipe, (bought at Halfrods) and it is much better now, very squirty!
Seat build quality eh?

BigDave67

I too had the screen wash charge, when I knew it was full as I had filled it the day before and not used it. I complained and their excuse was saying they used a lot when they test it. Why??? I did get the charge refunded though. Do they think people don't fill their own screen wash?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
At work, the official Renault/Nissan screenwashes are about 83p+VAT.

they still use the perfumed concentrated pink stuff ?

not that motrio orange junk !!

hope so as its the best i have seen/used over the last 20years and my ample stash is getting a bit low

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
well my 60k service is happening now and i have the full cambelt tensioners and thingies going for £480 and the service i got down to £200 which i still think is a bit of a rip but still needs to be done.

they also said to do the tie rod on drivers side would be £140 but it appears i can do this myself when changing the suspension.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise