Things that have randomly broken on my car since the cold weather

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
...may not be related of course, but since the cold snap started last week:

- Keyless entry on driver's side. Locking works fine, just won't unlock at all with hand in handle. Checked for snow/ice around sensor etc. but nothing. Also tried putting key closer in case it's a fob battery, to no avail (it's only a few months old anyway).

- Stop/start - got in yesterday morning, warning icon shown and message "stop start system fault" (or similar to that). Restarted, showed the same. Had cleared this morning.

- "Drive system fault - see workshop". Another message which popped up randomly a couple of times but now seems to have dispersed.

- Front assist inactive. Again, no ice or snow etc. on the car. Get this sometimes anyway, but certainly more recently.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Mine wouldn't unlock with my hand inside the handle either, but only for a day. It was very wet, so something was probably interferring.

Front assist issues is common with salt, dirt, snow etc. Do you also have your front license plate mounted on a big plastic bracket? That interferes with the front radar. I recently had mine removed, which alleviated most of the sensor issues.

Reactions: adrianator

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
It's not particularly big - it's just the OEM mounting which it came with from the factory.

Scriminjer

Oct 13, 2022
My keyless has been working but I've noticed my Infotainment system appears to be crashing and restarting shortly after getting in the car and usually just after having set off but only since the temperature dropped. Each time I've had the temperature turned up and windscreen de-misting on.

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
My keyless has been working but I've noticed my Infotainment system appears to be crashing and restarting shortly after getting in the car and usually just after having set off but only since the temperature dropped. Each time I've had the temperature turned up and windscreen de-misting on.
Same

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Mine did that the day before the snow hit Kent. First time its happened, lasted a few seconds and all was well afterward.

Scriminjer

Oct 13, 2022
Mine did that the day before the snow hit Kent. First time its happened, lasted a few seconds and all was well afterward.
It is more distracting than the Infotainment itself on a normal day! The first time it happened I also lost my digital cockpit for longer than I was comfortable with. I'm hoping that was just a one off, all other times the digital cockpit has remained on.

It runs fine afterwards, albeit a couple of times the Navigation map continual says it's loading and never does but I mainly use Apple Car Play for the Nav.

fpdoc0697

May 22, 2021
The cold makes electronics go mad! Had a lightbulb warning light on the dash this morning, indicating issues with the headlights/ taillights. Disappeared this morning so must’ve been a sensor

Railwayman

Jun 13, 2022
Lancashire
I’ve had the front assist inactive on the Leon a few times this week. Inactive for around 20 seconds just after start up then clears. Same issue with the keyless entry, but the handles have been covered in ice most of the time

Nov 17, 2022
The upper control panel (on the roof/headliner) seems to have stopped working on mine meaning the lights and pan roof controls don’t do anything. Thought it might be an electrical issue but they lights still come on when opening the doors and roof still works by holding the key unlock, weird

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
Just went out in mine, car says it's 0°c. it's been parked up since the snow last weekend and was covered in snow & ice. I had no issues at all, asked me to do an update on the info system, which it did whilst I drive a few miles to pick something up. No warnings from front sensors, though I have had that before foe a few minutes. Maybe it's down to the colour of the car. :whistle:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Judging by some of the posts on VW Golf forums, the Golf 8 seems to be similarly affected by this cold weather snap.

My VW has been fine although AFAIK, the software in my car predates VW’s less than successful attempt by their Cariad subsidiary at designing / developing the Golf 8’s software in-house.

Deleted member 135594

Just went out in mine, car says it's 0°c. it's been parked up since the snow last weekend and was covered in snow & ice. I had no issues at all, asked me to do an update on the info system, which it did whilst I drive a few miles to pick something up. No warnings from front sensors, though I have had that before foe a few minutes. Maybe it's down to the colour of the car. :whistle:
Arh...knew it!
Should have gone with the Metallic Oyster Purple🙄

Scriminjer

Oct 13, 2022
Today most of the snow & ice around me has melted. Car is covered upto about halfway in a thick coat of all manor of dirt and grime from the roads. Sensors are definitely not responding well to it. Random alerts for things being too close while driving along an open road. As soon as I start reversing it’s practically screaming I’ve hit something. Time for a wash or rinse I think!

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
What is annoying after a long trip down the motorway and back on Saturday ( apart from the usual lane hoggers ) is the lack of headlight washers and washer fluid level warning. I had to stop at a services and clean the headlamps. I wasn't the only one though, a Merc driver was doing the same.

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
Sister-in-law has just got a new T-Roc, guess what, she has the same issues as noted here, locking, sensors etc.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Keyless entry has started working again now. What an absolute joke this is. 😡

Also missed off the list above, the ACC stopped working for a while. Presumably similar reasons.

darkshadow13

Sep 27, 2021
england
Mine in coupra now with the infotainment booting at its own accord, and sometimes dont start up. To fix however you need to hard reboot them press power for 25s hard reboots them (like a Laptop) they are such a pain. Told the dealership that they probably wont find anything but got a courtesy car so they can figure it out. Only thing i can think of is this occurred since the last service which they said they put a battery update on it god knows.

Scriminjer

Oct 13, 2022
I've not had any infotainment restarts since the cold weather went. I've noticed Apple Car Play is now showing the full song/artist name rather than being cut at the top/bottom. I haven't updated my phone so it can only be part of the Cupra infotainment updates

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.