Thrashing the car when the oil is low!

w14ntd

Jul 8, 2009
just bought the leon. the oil was low slightly. i put my foot down a bit when the oil was low and this was mainly down to the bonnet not opening. took it to the garage this morning and it was a bit noisy. opened it up and the oil was low. put 2lt of oil in and drove to the petrol station. the oil light stayed on? at traffic lights had a little VTR revving up so i put my foot down and at 6k revs in first it died. from then the turbo wont kick in.. im worried!!!

Not being funny mate but if you knew the oil was low most of us on here would not RAG our cars and attempting to race crappy citroen vtr's, Oil quality and oil maintenace is crucial even more so if your a fast driver, I dont understand what you want people to respond with if you knew the oil was low now your worried after you ragged it! ???????? :ban:

JamJay

California Bound
Uh oh, new engine time!

Nah, seriously I have no idea but i'd expect some serious wear on your engine internals if there wasn't sufficient oil to lubricate them properly.

I don't think I felt the need to spank a VTR since my 1st car (106 GTi). The LEON is after bigger game but that's a rarity, i'm normally quite sensible and NEVER put my foot down for the 1st 15mins of having the engine running.

w14ntd

Jul 8, 2009
lol well i realised this after. its my 1st petrol turbo be nice. im used to my diesel astra and that took a beating all the time. i just bought a diesel leon now aswell so i think im going to keep that. anyone any suggestions what could be wrong with it OTHER than me :D

w14ntd

Jul 8, 2009
and to be fair the oil light came on when i put my foot down. and then constantly late last night. done not even 10 miles since then

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
You topped it up with 2ltrs? WTF, bottom of the dipstick marker to the top is 500ml! Thats nearly half an oil change.

Good luck with that one.

w14ntd

Jul 8, 2009
could that over do it? the turbo isnt working. going to get it scanned later with a friends laptop thing. should hopefully diagnose the problem precisely

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
If the turbo "isn't working" the car has probably put itself into limp mode so it must think something is wrong
Or due to lack of oil turbo has destroyed itself

w14ntd

Jul 8, 2009
If the turbo "isn't working" the car has probably put itself into limp mode so it must think something is wrong
Or due to lack of oil turbo has destroyed itself

i like your response more than the others :p the turbo isnt smoking or anything so i guess that a positive. i think its probably down to too much oil. shall get it scanned this evening and hopefully it shouldnt be anything serious. then fix and advertise. going to keep the diesel version instead !

btw thanks for all advice

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Nope thats not really a positive becuase the turbo isnt working full stop!

unless it was half empty (in which case it wouldnt register on the dipstick) then 2 litres is too much, so that will at least be a contributing factor. If it was low becuase then that would help muller it too.

IMO there's no point scanning it until you drain the oil to a decent level. Presumably you should reset the codes first, then drive it, then re scan to find out what the actual problem is - otherwise codes could have been there months. And you dont want to drive it anywhere with the wrong amount of oil in it.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
whats the dipstick showing now?

big question is if you havnt overfilled it and it was missing so much oil , wheres the oil gone? it isnt smoking?

w14ntd

Jul 8, 2009
its throwing white smoke. my brother ( not a mechanic ) said its loud and the tappets have gone. it is loud.. sounds like a diesel

mike2926

vroom vroom
Mar 18, 2009
Just outside Colchester
i have to ask....why buy a car that the bonnet didnt open on and that was "a bit noisy" i cant believe that anybody would by a car without being able to look under the bonnet that was "a bit noisy" and why have you just bought two of the same cars and now want to get rid of one.......?

im very confused,