Timing Belt Interval

Tolly

Feb 5, 2009
Leeds
Hi

Can anyone tell me what mileage interval the timing belt is for a 1.8 20v.... Mine has a full Seat history with the last service at 63,000 but now it has done 72,000 and is due another service.... I am not using the dealer but wondered if the belt should have been changed at the last service or is due now.....

Tolly

Tolly

Feb 5, 2009
Leeds
Thought it might be due..... I have just looked through the service books and noticed the MOT ran out on the 12th November..... Oops:rolleyes:

Better get it booked in for the MOT and then buy the service bits.....

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Excerpt from 'honestjohn';

All engines need new timing belts and tensioners every 4 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. Plastic timing belt tensioners of 1.4 and 1.6 16v engines now failing regularly, though fortunately the belts are rarely flung off when this happens.

1.8 20v engines are snapping their timing belts at 70,000 - 80,000 miles and the extensive damage this causes is not repairable. The car will need a replacement engine. 1.8 20v timing belt drives waterpump and belts are difficult to replace on transverse engines.

Hope that helps.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Service schedule for the petrol engines is usually inspect at 60k and 20k there after for cracks and wear and replace at 120k. So basically change it at 60k or four years.

Tolly

Feb 5, 2009
Leeds
I have checked the service book and it says inspect at 60k and replace at 120k.... If the tensioners are prone to going then I will replace it now....

The tensioner on my 1.4 16v polo was ok at 80k but the water pump impeller was plastic and the coolant caused hardening of the plastic. This caused it to fall off the input shaft in to the block meaning it over heated all the time. Are the water pump impellers on the 1.8 20v plastic also????... If so I will buy a pattern part with a brass impeller and change it at the same time as the belt / tensioner....

Tolly

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
I just had a look on AutoData and according to that, for engine codes AGN, APG and APT, all are 'Inspect at 60,000 miles, then check condition every 20,000 miles after, replace when necessary. Tensioner at 120,000 miles'. To be honest, I would recommend it changed at every 60,000 miles or 4 years as said above, just to be on the safe side and at least you know it's done. Seems a bit vague checking it every 20,000 miles as that can be a while for some people and it could deteriorate quite a bit in that sort of time.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
They say recheck at 20k intervals as that will tie in with the inspection service.

However who can say if it will last or not, certainly wouldn't vouch on it myself.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.