TMC Motorsport 1.6 TDI tuning box

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
Hi, I bought this box a while ago to spice up a bit the performance of the car and since it's still on warranty and there isn't any remapper that I trust to touch my ECU (there isn't any garage specialized in remapping, just some guys here and there) so I decided to bit the bullet on these controversial tuning boxes.

I have a 1.6 TDI 105hp to be clear.

Well, the reason why I'm creating this thread is because I'm not happy with the box, it didn't make much difference if at all, maybe just a little, so I sent it back, TMC said they will change the map and it will work better, then I got the box again, went to test it and it was better but not the "better" that I expected. I can hear the engine revving harder and it pulls a bit harder but I'm almost sure it's not making 135hp and 310nm as claimed.

People say it makes a whole difference, it transforms the car but I'm not getting that feel.
I even got beaten by a peugeot 206 1.4 75hp petrol on uphill road which I felt "embarassed" the car was moving away more and more and I was on full throttle on 3rd and 4th gear.

Wish I could test a remapped one to see the difference but I don't know any.

I made some tests yesterday to check the differences, so I made it this way, full throttle from 2k to 4k rpm on 2nd gear and then the same revs but on 3rd gear, on stock and Sport Plus.

2k to 4k - 2nd gear

3.7 seconds - Stock
3.4 seconds - Sport Plus

2k to 4k - 3rd gear

10.4 - Stock
9 - Sport Plus

Then I thought about trying Sport and Eco mode which I never use, I got 3.3 seconds in Sport and 3.4 in Eco mode in 2nd gear.

Do you think this numbers correspond to a 1.6 tdi with let's say 130hp ?

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I'd say you'd feel it more than if you timed it, but a second difference is a lot in the world of cars.

OP he's in Portugal so I guess is less common over there?

I'm looking to do my 1.6 TDI early next year but will be going custom remap if anything.

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
OP u near Porto/lisabon? Revo have 2 dealers in portugal, they will map it.

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
I'm from Madeira, so no Revo or anything like that. The only thing I could do would be sending the ECU to some ecu remap garage in Portugal but it's too risky I must say.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
I'm from Madeira, so no Revo or anything like that. The only thing I could do would be sending the ECU to some ecu remap garage in Portugal but it's too risky I must say.

are there no ferries over to portugal? or even moroco?