To Sell or Not To Sell?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So I’m torn between wanting to keep my cherished beast and selling up to move onto something new.
74dceeff032b26534424085284564017.jpg

When not driving it, I think of selling but once behind the wheel, even at legal speeds the car still puts a smile on my face.
It’s so far from the standard car I bought.
On one hand it’s becoming a rare thing. Especially one in such good condition on low mileage. Very hard to find.
On the other hand parts are like rocking horse **** to acquire and one shunt from a fool could spell disaster.
I have old headlights, wheels etc hidden away but even decent bumpers or grills are hard to find now.
( splitters for example, no longer available) and that’s just a bit of plastic!
The car has everything bolted on from SEATSport gear knob to liquid gauge and an LSD.
Money has never been a consideration. If it’s needed something it’s been bought brand new. Like nearly every sensor on the car, door locking modules etc. all genuine VW parts too. No eBay crap.
New turbo, VVT tensioner and much more done under the bonnet.
All in, I’ve spent a small fortune which I’ll never see returned.
So the real question is do I sell for a loss, or keep it and wrap it in bubble wrap!!
Really unsure of what to do.
Thoughts guys?

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Am in the same boat with my FR TDI, was mint condition until guy shunted my rear bumper.
Now insurance are saying total loss - it’s only the rear bumper that’s damaged!!! Read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Am in the same boat with my FR TDI, was mint condition until guy shunted my rear bumper.
Now insurance are saying total loss - it’s only the rear bumper that’s damaged!!! Read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was about to hit the like button.
Then thought about that action.
Nothing to like there.
This is one of my fears. Minor damage can be disastrous for the owner.

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I'm gonna wade in here... don't sell it!
You've put your heart & soul into that car & built it up far beyond it's original state. I know your dilemma, as you say some tool could fk it over in one hit.
I assure you, you'll miss driving it immensely & not having it around will really piss you off when you see another on the road!
I know it's a hard decision, & they are costly in every way, but it's a stunning build. For me, nothing comes close & they really do put a smile on your face, they are the best.
Could you entertain 'resting' it & having a cheaper daily to ease the wear & tear?

Reactions: bruceR

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I'm gonna wade in here... don't sell it!
You've put your heart & soul into that car & built it up far beyond it's original state. I know your dilemma, as you say some tool could fk it over in one hit.
I assure you, you'll miss driving it immensely & not having it around will really piss you off when you see another on the road!
I know it's a hard decision, & they are costly in every way, but it's a stunning build. For me, nothing comes close & they really do put a smile on your face, they are the best.
Could you entertain 'resting' it & having a cheaper daily to ease the wear & tear?

Cheers bud.
Yes a lot of time and money. Lots of love too. I do still love it. Yea they are becoming increasingly rare on the road. Been months since I’ve seen one near me.
It’s not a daily thankfully.
I’m lucky in that. Car is still only in 75k.
Plus everything is new apart from engine and chassis
Only does 2.5K per year roughly.
Maybe I should drive it more!!

Reactions: BadBoy03

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Keep it.
Entirely your choice obviously, but I’m sure everyone else with a mk1 will tell you to do the same.
The yellow one I bought a few months back has similar miles to yours and I plan on keeping both as long as possible.
There is nothing else I would rather have that’s why I bought another.
My hope is soon insurance companies will start allowing us to put them on classic policies with agreed valuations.
I asked last year, they went back to the underwriter and said no but they will look at it in the future.
And regarding parts I’m sure our friend @Thai-wronghorse will keep us all on the road for many years to come.
My yellow one is currently loaded up ready to head to Le Mans in a few hours time, love a good road trip. :flag:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Keep it.
Entirely your choice obviously, but I’m sure everyone else with a mk1 will tell you to do the same.
The yellow one I bought a few months back has similar miles to yours and I plan on keeping both as long as possible.
My hope is soon insurance companies will start allowing us to put them on classic policies with agreed valuations.
I asked last year, they went back to the underwriter and said no but they will look at it in the future.
And regarding parts I’m sure our friend @Thai-wronghorse will keep us all on the road for many years to come.
My yellow one is currently loaded up ready to head to Le Mans in a few hours time, love a good road trip. :flag:

I know you’re right.
Another Problem is there is very little I can do to it now bar a big turbo build or 064 but they are expensive and can’t think of pumping more into this.
Yeah LeMans.
Have a blast.
( I was talking to you about ride height and the train )

Reactions: Nathan penney

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Keep it.
Best of luck, hope everything goes well! 👍

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi mate.
I guess I can understand your dilemma. Its a nice ride with all the love and care you have spent on it over the years. But now it's all done right? Mint condition, all the mods you wanted, and no much more to do except regular service. I guess when you have it all you just... want more! :)
I suppose a new project and a more recent ride would have more tweaks to play with. What are you looking at? Still Cupras or gonna leave the VAG circle?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi mate.
I guess I can understand your dilemma. Its a nice ride with all the love and care you have spent on it over the years. But now it's all done right? Mint condition, all the mods you wanted, and no much more to do except regular service. I guess when you have it all you just... want more! :)
I suppose a new project and a more recent ride would have more tweaks to play with. What are you looking at? Still Cupras or gonna leave the VAG circle?

Yes, exactly that.
And a newer ride would bring more to fiddle about with as you say. Not to mention having a load more power and possible DSG changes going on.
So I do love the MK2. Problem is they aren’t so young either.
Although proper manual and not drive by wire / computer. As with modern stuff.
The mk3 I like but I’m k no it crazy about although you can get good power for a front wheel drive car without spending a fortune.
Ideal car would be an Elise or Exige then don’t need to o much but drive it.
Will have to seee what happens this summer.

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
I think I know how you feel, I love mine like we all do here but I have done all I can now without say the big turbo route like you have said, but I'm happy with stage 2 it puts a smile on ya face just being in it does that as well. The build has come to an end now it's time to enjoy it after all the work.
Best way is how would you feel not having it on ur driveway or maybe worse someone buys it local and you see it but someone else is enjoying your hard work or sadly not looking after it.
I've had mine 9yr now and it's going nowhere. Good luck deciding buddy

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I think I know how you feel, I love mine like we all do here but I have done all I can now without say the big turbo route like you have said, but I'm happy with stage 2 it puts a smile on ya face just being in it does that as well. The build has come to an end now it's time to enjoy it after all the work.
Best way is how would you feel not having it on ur driveway or maybe worse someone buys it local and you see it but someone else is enjoying your hard work or sadly not looking after it.

Your words a food for thought.
I haven’t seen another R on the road for months except 1 at a property near me, he has a mk1 and a 2. They never move.
Aaarrrr, it’s a really difficult thing to try and decide on.
Consensus is keep it.
I do still love it and have been in it all week.

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I see my silver driving around locally & it really annoys me. It was immaculate and looks good on the road. I don't know why I lost my head and got rid.
Sorry Sparkie, this may not help! 😖🤔

Reactions: Sparkie

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I see my silver driving around locally & it really annoys me. It was immaculate and looks good on the road. I don't know why I lost my head and got rid.
Sorry Sparkie, this may not help!

It all helps.
When I look at how much I’d get it makes me want to keep it til it does.
But then some part of me says oh well it will be what it’ll be.

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
How can I sell this?
59efc66a3a47aa0e79d963c88ff02422.jpg

They are getting rare too.

It's awesome, you can't sell it m8.
As for the value, it's all up from here, especially in this pristine condition!
We've all witnessed the decline of mk1's on the road, and it saddens me. I love to see them out & thanks to the peeps on here, there will always be a few for keeps & soon sell for a fk ing fortune 😁

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Sorry Sparkie, this may not help! 😖🤔
Haha this is my main point could never cope watching someone drive it around I'd be is it getting treated right lol. I've been there with a subaru impreza I had it was stunning sold it to someone I knew I had to close my eyes when I went past it with how they looked after it.