To Sell or Not To Sell?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
And you, enjoyed our day out and banter on here, I only joined up again to stop you selling the motor.

All good with me thanks starting to get more track time in and making the car more track focused than Daily but hopefully thats all done now so its just paying for new tyres / pads / oil chages etc. I did Bedford back in January and it was very odd, most of the day there was nobody on the track, so few people came but we had a great sunny day but I think people are cutting back on track days so they are not as busy as they used to be if you go mid week.

Nice. Glad to see you’re well into it now.
Bedford was chaos busy when we went. Some mental cars too. Noble, 458, Exige 420. Etc etc loads of bimmer boys too.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: tracktoy

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Hope it went well, that's certainly a lot of driving! 👏. Sad to hear you were the only R, but at least you showed up all the other cars 😁
I’ll stick some photos on my thread from last year’s Le Mans trip when I get chance.
Ferrari and Porsche are common as muck in and around Le Mans.
I still wouldn’t say no but it was nice to be different. :ROFLMAO:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Just back from our trip to Le Mans in the R, done nearly 1200 miles and didn’t see any other mk1.
We are getting rare now! ;)

Yeah we drove to the Algarve last year, not in my R
We saw 2 half decent ones bit Diesels and 1 mk2 that was trick.
Thought we’d see more in

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Jay, the late replier here. If you sell then you part company with many sentiments, that is us Mk1 lovers. I say keep it... Like many I am also scared because some parts are simply not available. However, modern technology means that things can be fabricated if need be, but cost will be an issue. I was out in mine today and was thinking, if I won the lottery tomorrow would I seel it? Answer NO
These are proper classics and built so bloody well.
If anything, park it up and drive every now and again. Cherish it

If I won the lottery, I'd do a full nut and bolt job on mine. Probably an engine swap though, given it's a DERV...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jay20VT and Sparkie

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
I wonder if our Spanish friends have better availability of parts for their cars? Many a Spanish lad have a Mk1 and I wonder if it's worth touching base to see what is an is not available

Reactions: BadBoy03

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
How about another reason not to sell..

Attachments

• IMG-20230614-WA0002~2.jpg
    IMG-20230614-WA0002~2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20230614-WA0001~2.jpg
    IMG-20230614-WA0001~2.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20230614-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230614-WA0006.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20230614-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230614-WA0005.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 71

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
It does annoy me how little resemblance the newer Leon has with the older ones. Golf, Focus, Peugeot 20x, they all have those little design cues where you know what model it is. Shame SEAT didn't take that approach with something that's clearly a design classic.

Reactions: Jay20VT

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
It does annoy me how little resemblance the newer Leon has with the older ones. Golf, Focus, Peugeot 20x, they all have those little design cues where you know what model it is. Shame SEAT didn't take that approach with something that's clearly a design classic.

Yes it’s changed dramatically with each gen.
like that Ford Puma. It’s now a small jeep!
Unrecognisable.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Thought of you today, I was at Cadwell Park for a track day there were only 27 motors and a lot of those left early apparently there were only 12 for the evening session.

Along with the Porche and proper track cars there were a number of older cars (Type R, Mazda's and BMW) along with my middle age Cupra but sadly no Seats. I would also say a lot of the owners turn up in very expensive motors with trailers but drive these proper cars.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London

I agree with this.. look at the Golf 6 and 7.. they made lights more thinner and as a result a more aggressive look. If they did that with the Leon Mk1 that dumbo looking rear would have looked more slick and the front more mental than it already is
My mates always tell me the design of the Mk1 is great but the rear lights make it look a little dim

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset

I agree. It baffles me beyond belief as to why the MK2 design did not end up in the bin? How could you ever go from iconic to fugly? 😖

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I agree. It baffles me beyond belief as to why the MK2 design did not end up in the bin? How could you ever go from iconic to fugly?

I did like the BTCC bodykit, but the fact I see more mk1s around than the mk2 says a lot.

It's like the leap from the mk2 Ibiza to the mk3 - going from something more angled to a curvy design.

It sucks - all the other VAG cars show clear nods to the previous models - even the bloody Skodas - but it's like SEAT had no respect for something that was always bound to be a design classic.

Reactions: BadBoy03

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Whilst we are talking about old cars and how they look,

Cadwell today had a great Vintage Motorsport event, one day our cars will be able to compete :)

cadwell4.jpg

cadwell1.jpg
cadwell3.jpg

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
What's the tax like on a Cupra R anyway? Just had my renewal come through and the government has jacked it up another £25 to £210.

Hardly seems worth the difference now..