Turbo - high pitched whistle

willisthm

Aug 13, 2005
Sunderland
On my 2005 Fr TDI when I accelerate and the turbo starts spinning it emits a high pitched whistle - is it normal, or is it just the high outside temperatures making it do that noise.

Cheers

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
or could be a intercooler hose lesking whistle out air under load

i would take into garage and tell them to have a look.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
The turbo should whistle to a certain extent. One of my passengers approximated the noise quite well:

"It sounds like distant police car sirens"

willisthm

Aug 13, 2005
Sunderland
Cheers - def not a blown turbo - she still pulls very well considering the heat we have at the minute.

I have done 12k miles in her and everything seems really well on the car. Is there any way that I can check the intercooler hoses for leaks myself before I take it to the garage mate?

Thanks

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
jack and axle stand the driver side take off the bottom tray slide under the hoses are located at the bottom drivers side and running up to the turbo which can easily be seen behid the engine from the bottom. the other hoses are located at top of engine remove cover and you should see them.

does it smoke a bit more now? thats a good indication of a funny hose.

also ues a couple of tme i thought a cop was chasing me!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Mine used to give out a noise when accelerating hard, sort of a cross between a whistle and a screech, think it's pretty common and normal.

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
i know forgot to post it but hopefully For dia of a BROKEN TURBO BLOWN it will now come up :) thats what it sound like the worst sound for a tdi owner to hear :)

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
My old man has a new Golf Plus 2.0TDi - his fourth TDi engined VW. However he has noticed that with the 2.0TDi there is a strange hissing noise coming from the engine (Not the usual turbo sound) especially when the air-con has been on for a while and the engine is roasting. He's taking it in to VW next week to get it checked out but the dealer has mentioned that when these new TDi's get a little hot and bothered there is a built-in 'release' valve which helps expel pressure?

Anyone else know about this?

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
redcupratdi said:
jack and axle stand the driver side take off the bottom tray slide under the hoses are located at the bottom drivers side and running up to the turbo which can easily be seen behid the engine from the bottom. the other hoses are located at top of engine remove cover and you should see them.

does it smoke a bit more now? thats a good indication of a funny hose.

also ues a couple of tme i thought a cop was chasing me!

Did it give other symptoms? like loss of power white smoke etc?

Triple D

All turbo's are different, my standard turbo whistled a bit more when i had the milltek downpipe and cat back fitted. Then i have had 3 hybrid turbo's, the current one being more whistley than the previous 2.mine whistles at low rpm, then get turbo chatter when its spooling up and pulling through the rev range :D

Last edited by a moderator:

willisthm

Aug 13, 2005
Sunderland
cheers lads, I have come to the concluision that the whistle is normal and that I have nothing to worry about. There has been no power loss, no white smoke etc - am just paranoid a bit.

Thanks for all of the replies, possibly more noticeable because I have been driving with all windows down in this heat.

Still love the damn car:D