Turbo options for a BWJ 2.0TFSI?

Jul 31, 2021
Sorry if this has been asked before - but I couldn't find much information anywhere else.

So, I had a BWA 2.0 TFSI with the full 'Stage2+' R-Tech package. So basically, 'full bolt ons'? HPFP, revised diverter valve, S3 intercooler, custom intake, full 3" decat exhaust etc.

But, I was forced to replace the engine and dropped a BWJ in there - but I've still got the KO3 turbo and FR injectors. At the minute I run 280bhp, and it's a pretty good linear map for what it is with 260bhp+ from around 3900RPM all the way to around 6900RPM.

I'm satisfied with the power tbh, but certainly wouldn't mind a little upgrade to around 300-330bhp. Only problem is (and sorry if I'm being a bit daft), but I was hoping to try and find a turbo kit that was a bit more economical, whilst still allowing for a respectable increase in power too. I know you can't have everything, and there's always a compromise to be made - but I was wondering if there was any other straight forward options other than a KO4 for this engine?

I'd LIKE a bit more power, but I'm not really fussed if I can't squeeze past 280bhp. I'm more interested in getting rid of some lag and hitting larger power numbers earlier if I'm honest. Like, if I could have 250bhp+ available around 3000RPM that would be sweet. Just trying to find something that's a bit more suited to finding power during lazy, daily driving - but still able to provide that extra bit of power when you really start to spin the engine up.

For example, I was in a Mk4 Focus ST the other day, and i could really notice the difference in lag. Obviously very different engines, but it was nice having around 200 horses at 2800RPM compared to just under 3200RPM. Despite the similar peak HP figures, the Focus was definitely faster just because of how much sooner it could actually create that power.

Don't get me wrong, the lag and sudden rise in boost are fun and adds lots of character - but I'm looking for something with a bit more smooth power delivery. Is a hybrid KO3 turbo the way to go? A twin turbo set up would be nice - but I'm not aware of any kits available that don't require a lot of work.

I'm seriously not bothered about not being able to reach silly numbers like 400bhp though. I don't need to be able to squeeze some extra power out of whatever turbo I buy in the future. I'm a lot more interested in lazy power haha. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.