Type-r vs. Revo'd Cupra

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
Basing my opinion on my car vs Type R's and a mates (albeit) APR'd Ibiza Cupra, I would say the Ibiza should have the edge.... not a great deal in it. I would have though the Type R would be slightly better in the twisties, but not if the roads were very bumpy.

flashbsd

ive never had any problems pulling away from CTR's, they just dont have the torque in mid range gears, e.g. if your doing 70's and plant your foot, by the tiem i blink im doing a ton! 0-100 he will beat you, any mid range gear pulls the ibiza will have it. I dont realise how quick my car is sometimes until you watch thespeedo hopping from 70, 80, 90 in a few seconds.

Corners obviously the civic, and as people will say, around a track blah blah...

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
I pull on the missus Type R every time, Revo Stage 1, settings 7 n 7

SMIC
TIP
Milltek Cat Back
Induction

Thats with us both driving each car (does that make sense?)

Mike

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
Cupra all the way. Had a play with a CTR on the roundabout on the A3 going towards london, he didn't pull an inch on me all the way to 13!. So I can imagine a chipped cupra pissing all over it!

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
PhilW said:
Mike, you done any logs on those settings?

I did with Flash with them on 8 n 8, timing was only 3.2 on one cylinder, not sure on MAF and NM readings...they are on laptop at home...

Did it with Mork once on 9 n 9, pulled mental, spinning up at 80 in 3rd, had bad tires then. He said we could leave it on that settign as timing wasn't an issue, but he didn't feel safe leaving them that high, maybe I just got a good engine....well apart from the small oil leak I have currently. I'm hoping that its because there is too much oil and it is coming up turbo inlet and spraying out....or thats what I have kinda gathered....prob wrong tho lol

Getting Stage 2 today and 4 bar FPR, with the K03s on too, FMIC will be soon, but got RR tomorrow, so I can't wait....

Mike

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
JimyFloyd said:
Cupra all the way. Had a play with a CTR on the roundabout on the A3 going towards london, he didn't pull an inch on me all the way to 13!. So I can imagine a chipped cupra pissing all over it!

You kept with one NOT remapped?

Not being funny chap are you sure that either

A) He was trying
or
B) Your car isn't remapped

I dont scream away from the Civic, if I was standard she would leave me for dead...156 vs VTEC 196?

Mike

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
Ruddmeister said:
Here is a chipped LCR V CTR

(Right click and save as to download but do not stream)
http://zebustype-r.de/video/Cupra210(Chip)-CTR_2.wmv

CTR has the exhaust done I think but nowt else.

I would guess that on the road a chipped Beeza isn't far off the LCR's pace :shrug:

Not definitive tests but interesting

More to download if your bored ;)
http://zebusvids.de/Video/Cupra210(Chip)-CTR.mpg
http://zebusvids.de/Video/Cupra210(Chip)-CTR.wmv

Those movies have never seemed right to me, the pace of the chipped LCR in those moves seem like that of a standard LCR.... I could pull away from CTR's like that when mine was standard (at motorway speeds), like these videos.

Edit: Does the file name being Cupra210(Chip) not mean its a chipped Cupra at 210bhp...??? That would explain alot with those video's......

Last edited:

flashbsd

i keep yup with a revo;d LCR just as an extra point. 280bhpish LCR

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
havent had many 'race' experiences in mine (dunno why) but i have had a couple run ins with a fella in a ctr who drives it like he stole it (prob did) but i can confidently pull away from it quite effortlessly...god bless a turbo

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
The missus has a CTR "Nighthawk". I can reel her in with my LCR but overtaking is difficult until silly speeds. Especially now she's learnt to keep the CTR in the powerband of 6-8K revs. Must admit I'm not a fan (apart from of the noise sometimes) but the Recaro seats and gearchange are spot on. Much prefer the torque of the 1.8T though...

Simon L

Audi TTS
Sep 24, 2004
Glasgow
I had a play with a CTR on the motorway from 70-140.

I pulled away initially, but he was slowly catching me up, and by the time we got to 140 he was just about to draw level. At a snails pace though, not passing me quickly.

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
my mates got a black civic type-r and we've had races twice now, first time i had the edge up to 120 but second time he just crept passed at 110, nothing in it really

bazza1000

Jun 2, 2005
Leicestershire
There's next to no difference in the two cars. My mate - Underzcupra who used to own a silver apr'd cupra now has a civic type r. Speed wise they are identical, ibiza has more torgue but the type R just keeps revving and revving! Top end the type R would definately win, as that is where they excel. The civics handle like a dream as well.

I prefer the torque of the Ibiza though lol. Both are very nice cars.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members