tyre tread depth which axle?

cupra-rich

Dec 28, 2008
coventry
got myself some secondhand fr+ alloys with tyre's already on, 2 with 4mm 2with 6mm tread depth, i was gonna put 6mm on the rear's, until i went to get them balanced today when the tyre fitter said, i should put the 4mm tyre's on the rear? :confused: which way round should it be???

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
As above. Any car no matter what type of drive it is, well with exception to 4wd the tyres with the most tread should always go to the rear. All about safety and grip under heavy braking and cornering.

cupra-rich

Dec 28, 2008
coventry
that's what i was thinking, but why would he say to do it the other way round after all surely it's his job to know? just got me a little confused

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
Basically they aren't that worried about your safety, just the money. We've been putting new on the rear at work for about 9yrs, when the memo was sent out to all tyre centres. Kwik-fek have only just started doing this proccedure.

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
Not really mate they prob got the memo from rubber manufactor's association. But it's down to them if the abide by it, it's not law just a recomdation for grip and stability.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members