Tyres

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
So my tyres are down to about 3/4mm on the fronts - when I was in SEAT for some warranty work recently they advised that I look to get them changed soon. I had noticed myself, as they're not giving the confidence I've been used to any more.

They are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 215/40/17 87V - I've been pretty pleased with them, the grip is great both wet and dry - my only criticism would be the noise now that they are worn, its gradually gotten worse.

My question is, as my car is a VWFS PCP and will be going back in a either a years time, or VT'd in about 6 months, do I need to put the exact same tyres back on again? I'm worried about mixing different speed ratings as there are not many tyres around in that size with the 87V rating. Most are W or Y. Is it OK to have the original Bridgestones on the back (or rotate to front) and have a new set of W or Y rated tyres at the back, can you mix and match?

Looking at the same ratings I was either going to go for the same again (Bridgestone) or the Yokohama BluEarth ES32

If i were to mix and match the ratings, I'd probably look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 or the Dunlop SP Sport MAXX RT 2, unless anyone else has any recommendations?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If the rears have more tread you could swap them to the front and eak the six months out of them. I'd be reluctant to buy new tyres for a car I was getting rid of soon.

For the sake of your insurance, you do need to put the same speed rating or higher on the car, at least you'd be advised to, but you don't need to fit the same brand and model. Few people do.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Looked at hundreds of reviews of dozens of tyres in this size. The best I've driven long term were Continental PremiumContact 2 but I couldn't afford another set, and had settled on Falken ZE914 as their replacement - but I traded the car on a whim before changing the rubber. I must also say, I have the RE050A on now in 215/40R17 and hate them - always noisy and very average grip in my experience.

Cupracing

Apr 4, 2018
ive just put some Falken ZE310 on my cupra and so far very impressed with them! very quiet and comfortable and loads of grip

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Mine were down to 6mm fronts and 7mm rears @ 10500 miles...measured at the servicing. I'm guessing you would have around 5-6mm in the rears if you have 3-4 in the front....perhaps swap them round if you think you can drag it till 6 months? If you put the rears to the fronts, you may get another 10k miles. Just take it easy on wet corners...anyway if you do get new tyres, the consensus is that they woudl put the old rears to the front ,and new rubber to the back. The consensus is that you shoudl run the same tyre brands on the same axles anyway.
My Ibiza FR is going back on 13th Dec, I vaguely heard a vibration / rattle somewhere passenger side...oh well...next car will be a Volvo V40 with Primacy 4 tyres...I'm pretty sure I cannot used them up in 2 years!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise