Under powered Alhambra since.turbo change

Tezzler

May 1, 2016
Hi guys, could someone shed some light on this that me and my mechanic are having...

So.. Car has done about 120000 miles, tdi 115bhp, and kept going into limp mode at certain revs, mainly motorway and we had "overboost pressure" on the diagnostics, tried everything to clean the turbo, forte etc.. But to no avail, so decided it was the sticking vanes after a test and the arm on the turbo would not move, so we went for the best option for the cars age of a recon turbo.
Sourced what seemed to be a good one, "melett" and my mechanic fitted it.

Now ever since then it's been woefully under powered, and we have the "P1556 code" come up for low boost.

So we went about checking everything for leaks, changed the egr "which was stuck", changed all the n75/n18/solenoids etc.. And it's still throwing up the code and under powered.

Now question is have we missed something, is it likely to be the turbo not being good and not giving enough boost..

My mechanic has suggested we could get it re mapped for not alot of.money and it may improve things, but would this work..

Or is it inevitable that it's a dodgy turbo

Cheers guys

Last edited:

Tezzler

May 1, 2016
May be answering my own question here but just stumbled across this while searching the net on remapping and recon turbo's..

Basically the garret factory turbo's are set up for each vehicle, an after market turbo may just set the actuator arm and assume that this is right but not be as exact as the Garett.. So here's me thinking that the actuator arm may be to long/short and this is the problem.

The site gives good instructions on how to adjust this and with it being new the arm shouldn't be rusted up so we can adjust it with a vagcom.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.