(updated problem)Coil pack or blocked injectors 1.2?

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
I have had one of those common problems with the 1.2 mk4's yesterday..i.e the VERY rough idle, wanting to stall, loss of power until you floor etc etc...

i havent VAGcommed it yet as i have a date with AmD on the 13th. my EML has been on for over a week.

Now to throw a spanner in the works....after yesterdays trouble with driving it...
the symptoms no longer exist! i bought a coilpack as i immediately thought that it was this, but with it now driving as normal im led to think that it may be the injectore having blocked or something...my car is way overdue a service so i was thinking that id carry out a DIY service and then clean out the injectors with some redex or similar...

Now... the question... Do i need to put the redex in after i full up an empty tank of petrol or can i do it when my tank is half empty?

if you feel like helping me on any of the above assumtions i have made feel free :happy:

Last edited:

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Could be that the coil pack is on it's way out but not totally dead yet. My parent's 1.4 coil pack failed and then started working for a bit, then died totally.

It should say on the Redex bottle how much to put in per tank. If the tank is half full, just put half as much in :) I've never noticed a difference from it personally in 3 different cars..

danmay

Fast cars, shooting stars
Mar 25, 2007
Stafford
www.myspace.com
i put the redex in when my tank is full then let it run allllllllll the way down to the red, seems to improve my fuel consumption to be fair!

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Also, I would check the air filter, make sure it isnt dirty. Also check all the air pipes and vacuum leads they are very important.

Lastly I would check the throttle body and maybe clean it out with throttle body cleaner.

Im thinking its a MAF sensor or possibly the EGR valve.

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
Also, I would check the air filter, make sure it isnt dirty. Also check all the air pipes and vacuum leads they are very important.

Lastly I would check the throttle body and maybe clean it out with throttle body cleaner.

Im thinking its a MAF sensor or possibly the EGR valve.

what does the EGR valve actually do? ive heard people actually closing it off or something?

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
Update: i ive had a look around my bay looking for popped off vacume hoses (i replaced them all with blue ones) and found none had come off. So thats ruled out. I spoke to a mechanic and he said might be spark plugs need changing? anyone?

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
You still need spark plugs to ignite the fuel! The coil packs just provide the high voltage to the spark plugs.

Def worth a change, my parents had spark plugs replaced after replacing the coil pack didnt fix their non-starting 1.4 :)

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
Big problem :( seems like its the lambda probe and the map sensor thats playing up...but i got a quote for £210 to fix it! :angry: surely i can do it my self for much cheaper...any advise?

ive been told also to remove one of the probes to see if the idle gets any better but because the lumpy idle wasnt constant and fixed itself after a while i now have no way of seeing whether it is the probe or not...

Vag-com said something like 'too rich' or something ' the guy who did it didnt save the faults just cleared them then the lumpy idle came back for a day EML light came on, then the idle went away. :confused:

I REALLY NEED HELP ON THIS PLEASE

Last edited:

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
I can't see the MAP sensor being too hard to change yourself, i think they are quite expensive though. As for the lambda i don't know where it is on the 1.2 but again it should be easily accessible.

I know when my MAP was dodgy the car ran terribly, it would jerk everytime i tried to put my foot down, that turned out to be a broken wire to the plug going into the sensor and not a fault with the actual MAP itself.

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
the lambda probe itself is right ontop of the manifold at the front very easy to get to...

not sure where the map sensor is but im sure i can find it...question is, do i pay £210 to get it done or do it myself?

i have read a thread where someone with a 1.2 polo had the same loose wire issue and not broken sensor..might be the same problem? car has only covered 25k :shrug:

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
The map sensor should be on the pipe leading into your inlet manifold. It just looks like a block about 2 inch square by an inch deep with a connector with three wires going into it (at least it is on the 20vt). If you can get the parts cheap i'd suggest do it yourself.

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
checked with pete88 and the lambda probe is a hundred pounds odd...ill have a check on the price of the map sensor....

with that being said, are they my main fix solutions?

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
checked with pete88 and the lambda probe is a hundred pounds odd...ill have a check on the price of the map sensor....

with that being said, are they my main fix solutions?

Until it been VAGcommed you may be best hanging fire on buying any new parts. I (and my wallet) found this out to my peril!!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that I read somewhere that if you remove the MAF connector and the car seems smoother, then that means the MAF is u/s or needs a good clean out (cleaning out with contact fluid would be cheaper to do first off if removing the plug improves things). Other thing seems to be that this MAF connector or the MAF wiring connector pins can get contaminated - so removing refitting a few times can clean them up a bit - maybe try this first, then try leaving this connector off if that fails. If it is the connector that appeared to be the problem then cleaning both the male and females pins then stuffing in some contact grease might keep the connects better for longer. Good luck, as I've said, this lot is not my brain wave, its just something I've read in www.briskoda.net

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise