Updating the inbuilt Mib3 Satnav Offline

Tell

Staff member
The topic is applicable to all Seat models, VW and Škoda with MIB3 (basically all vehicles from 2020 with an infotainment system with built-in satnav worldwide). Where the connect service has elapsed or not taken out or a decision has been made to update the maps offline. Many users prefer Android Auto and Car Play, but like the inbuilt maps for back up. No 4g. Broken phone etc. So has a use in an emergency situation, if not the first call for navigation.

Prior to Mib3 Seat used mapcare to control map updates, in the UK this feature was not sold so users on MIB2 standard or Mib2 high (Plus) had to use workarounds to update the maps covered in the resource:

With MIB3, this changed. Online services (connected services) were available in Mib2 highs on VW and Škoda but not on Seat, so the choice to use offline maps for the update was not new. Online maps via connect services are updated on Mib3 monthly. A forced update across Europe can be made by picking a destination and navigating a route, this will then issue a command to update the maps. This can take a time via the built-in system. Online updated maps will always be more up-to-date than the offline updated maps although saying this map changes are not that frequent.

The previous pattern of offline updates may be frequent enough for most. The VW release is June and November each year, week 22 and week 45 although there may be some variation in the exact release.

All map releases are identical between the brands of VAG except Seat and Škoda lag providing the offline release. First port of call should always be here, then VW site. Could be the second port of call if the direct links below are more timely. The vagaries of how map updates work. The source files are identified in libraries awaiting the web page to be modified to reflect the update. So the web links below are more up-to-date. It often happens. Canny users don't wait for the web page but take the direct library link.

VW map file site:

You now need to register on the VW site, email and a password with mixed characters, length, $ etc. Press reset if you don't get it right first time. You don't need to provide the owned model car or any other details except email and password.

For MIB3, the Discover Media and Discover Pro files are identical. Pick a 2021 Tiguan Discover Pro that will give you the last file fitting into the week 22 / week 45 release dates. It is a TAR file. It is important to note that for MAC users, you must use Keka and CleanMyDrive on the USB after the copy. Macs generate additional characters in file generation, which will cause the infotainment system to fail to read the file. This is covered in VAG documention. Attached is the VW, Škoda and Seat PDF how to do it manuals - all the same instructions. Follow VW instructions attached below.

NOTE if you don't want to register the direct link for the November 2022 release for Europe:

June 2023 release:

November 2023 release (ECE 2024):

Škoda portal:

VW:

https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/EUR_11PR107_FCT3WS-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# Asia 3.7 Gb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/ASIA_11PR107_CT3W-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# Australia 1.8 Gb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/AUS_11PR107_CT3WS-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# Chile 499 Mb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/CHILE_11PR107_CT3WS-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# India 7.6 Gb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/INDIA_11PR107_CT3W-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# Israel 243 Mb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/ISR_11PR107_CT3W-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# North Africa 1.5 Gb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/NA_11PR107_CT3W-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# Turkey 1.6 Gb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/TUR_11PR107_CT3WS-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# Gulf Region 1.9 Gb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/MRM1_AGCC_11PR107_CT3W-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# South Africa 1.5 Gb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/MRM1_SA_11PR107_CT3WS-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

# South America 8.1 Gb

VW portal: https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/MRM1_SAM_11PR107_CT3WS-231E0_Offline_Update.tar

(Thank MartiniB for all the ECE 2024)

Whilst 7zip was the recommended VW way to open these files using the built-in file manager aka "File Explorer" of Windows 10/11 should / may be adequate.

Basically you open up the zip file, highlight all elements contained in the zip file, drag and drop to a blank directory on your HD / SSD. Then drag and drop that to a blank USB pen drive formatted in exFat or NTFS. See VW instructions. Suggest you do it via the HD / SSD rather than directory so as not to thrash the port speed of the USB. Correct placement is important on the USB. It can't be one directory down. Looks like this in the root directory of the stick:

1680110877253.png

On this thread the map update has been tested on a Seat so we know it works.

Prior to this, it was said offline was only supported where connected services were not offered - wrong. Not available on Seat - wrong. Think my tester on here previously failed on the Mac issue and not used Keka and CleanMyDrive.

The process should take an hour or so. Turning the ignition off will eventually time out the process, which restarts at next power up of the infotainment unit. Each of these cycles adds to the update, eventually finishing. If it's like MIB2 high, which it's mostly likely to be, you can open the door and close it at 15 minute intervals. Do this 3 times, and you get the hours processing in one go. My trick. Some say leave the door open. I go away, lock up and come back. 20 minutes is the live time, so 15 minute revisits of opening the door keeps the system live.

When complete the yy.mm will change. Photograph before and after.

Examination of the Seat, Škoda and VW files showed that Seat and Škoda files were old. Seat currently reflecting June 2022, not November 2022.

yy.mm, the yy is the year xx the month

20230329_135226.png

Suggested USB I've read is to get a reversible usb-c pen drive to give USB-A and USB-C skipping the adaptor, which has been reported as unreliable on Skoda boards. Guess it shakes loose when driving, so stops the update. For people who don't wait for the update to complete. The adaptor can be an issue if it's just designed for powering up only - not for data. It's a sucket at see if you use an adaptor for USB-A to USB-C. Elsewhere, on the Seat board, it was found that an adaptor in the connection blocked the firmware update - not an imagined issue. If your PC / laptop / Mac has USB-C then use a USB-C pen. The issue of adaptors is an additional wrinkle in getting it to work.

Also of interest is a post by Morphbzh 23rd December 2022 on the French Leon 4 site which shows the traditional historic list of file name postings. These filenames can be cross-referenced with the Seat and Skoda offerings to check for timeliness. In general, the VW listing is always up-to-date on the six monthly cycle.

Worth keeping an eye on Morphbzh in June and November on that site. Suspect they will post up the direct file server map links if you don't wish to register for the VW site.

Conversation and technical issues should be posted here. I hijacked that thread at that point.

---

For the technically minded, the modification date of package.cfg is when the file was created. Creation may be when the brand put it on their servers rather than created. VW example below of the November 2022 file. Creation date appears inline with what one would expect. I have not found a way to read the release code on the files yet. It may be in binary (yy.mm). Maybe it's done on the package date, not sure. That was the mib2 high test to check when the files were manufactured.

1680103424272.png

Here Maps is used for the cartography of Mib3.

A resource will follow.

With thank to @EVangelist @DaveH @Alex667 @dan555

Attachments

• VW Discover_Pro_Gen.3_November_2020.pdf
    343.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Skoda Map-updates-mib3.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 333
  • Seat HOW TO UPDATE YOUR NAVIGATION SYSTEM SEAT.pdf
    833.8 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022
First of all thank you so much for this information. it is extremely helpful and detailed.

i believe i had previously failed to update offline due to using a mac which i did not know the extra files would cause a problem.

im currently dealing with a different but related case.

my car is a german import to israel, therefore the EU navigation database would not show local maps.
using obdeleven i changed the CountryNavigation in the multimedia control unit to Israel (was previously EU), this allowed TSR to read signs but completely ruined the navigation. it would endlessly load. i understand the base navigation database is installed directly in the multimedia computer which now has EU and it’s incompatible with Israel as navigation country.

is there any way to force install the database in the update files to replace the current in-built one? i would appreciate if anyone has experience with this and could help out

Tell

Staff member
Presumably you have tried to load the Israel map from the Seat site (may not be the latest)

The VW map site that you can access without registering has gone into hiding again. They like to get all your car details off you before allowing you to see the update page. I normally look for VIN numbers of cars being sold on the net (second-hand or smashed) to get a VIN... least for Skoda I do it that way. Tends to be why published direct links to the map files are provided rather than the general access page else you hit the please login page.

Currently away so at the minute can't look at that to get the useful VW link back with the timely maps on it. I've posted in the European November 2022 direct file link in above as a stop gap.

On your question, map files where they are signed cannot be tinkered with since it's impossible to manufacture the signature after tinkering. That's the case with mib2 high and I believe mib3 maps. It's the firmware that has to be adjusted. This in some ways you have done with Obdeleven. Where people have imported mib2 high units outside of Europe in the past they changed the firmware on these units which then correspond to the expected maps. They change the navigation FeC from Europe to the zone of the region the car is now in or unit. I reckon that's probably the missing bit to get your maps to work, unless they are working.

I pass on where we are with DIY firmware updates for mib3 and where the community is on that. @MIB-Wiki may know. I don't reckon there is a mib3 software thread on the board yet. The European MIB enthuast group otherwise called "M.I.B. - More Incredible Bash" or Mr Bonk etc. Not sure how far they are with documenting Mib3. Mib2 they have fully documented. One is documentation, the other is being able to change things.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022
Presumably you have tried to load the Israel map from the Seat site (may not be the latest)
you are right i tried the ones from seat site. i will try tonight with the VW files and using a windows PC to prepare the flash drive.

Tell

Staff member
you are right i tried the ones from seat site. i will try tonight with the VW files and using a windows PC to prepare the flash drive.
If you get the European map in then the car will have European navigation FeCs. One sign of something working for you. You could try the Israel map first in case in it takes the FeCs from there as a set up. If it's like the mib2 high then if you have European navigation FeCs in it they will need to be changed. It's that body of knowledge I suspect isn't out there for DIY. Mib Tools for the mib2 high is the one that does that but suspect it hasnt been done for mib3. Again @MIB-Wiki would know if you hunt him down or he responds to these @'s. See whether @Chillout knows.

Apr 17, 2022
Update:
update using Israel maps did not do anything. guess well have to wait for something like M.I.B for mib3 to swap the navigation FeCs to the correct country

djmartzian

Apr 25, 2023
Hello @Tell,

Have you discussed with anybody that tried to update the maps in offline mode for any Skoda NX variants?
I've read your above thread (Congrats for the hard wok to put all these details together!!!) , but it isn't clear to me if this is applicable to Columbus/built in Sat Navs units only. In my case, the unit is MIB3/Bolero without Sat Nav.

QQ: Does it make sense to bother updating the maps database, in this case?

Ta

Keep up this good work! :worship:

Tell

Staff member
Without satnav feels like it doesn't have satnav software in it or prepped. Try asking the folk over on Briskoda. (British Skoda forum)

On your last question maps are updated all the time with new major road builds and new housing estates. The digital map providers tend to be good at picking up the major builds although one expects this may vary by country. Here Maps that provide the cartography for Mib3 tend to be on top of published new roads and bypasses but not so good on residential developments. Google Maps is similar. Users in all mapping systems can tell the provider about changes. On residential developments sales staff like to have the roads in for sales purposes. TomTom seems to get quite a few of them in ahead of others. Mapping providers also run analysis against each other's maps flagging up differences to look at. Not sure of how good Google Maps is at that one not being a cartography company only. Here Maps and Tom Tom tend to be ahead but then Google Maps has the POIs of business in it, but not always correctly geographically placed.

Reactions: djmartzian

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
The OTA map updates from SEAT seem pretty good. I'm on a new estate, and Google maps and the SEAT maps had all the new roads almost as soon as they were up with houses next to them.

Apple Maps still only has about 30% of them, even a year later. They claim the maps are sourced from TomTom/OpenStreetMap but they're available on those, just not Apple Maps. Doesn't seem they want to refresh their data very often from that source...

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
The OTA map updates from SEAT seem pretty good. I'm on a new estate, and Google maps and the SEAT maps had all the new roads almost as soon as they were up with houses next to them.

Apple Maps still only has about 30% of them, even a year later. They claim the maps are sourced from TomTom/OpenStreetMap but they're available on those, just not Apple Maps. Doesn't seem they want to refresh their data very often from that source...
Apple do their own but not very good then. Community input comes into them so if they don't invite or use it then it's all down to their own processes.

djmartzian

Apr 25, 2023
Thank you guys for the replies.

I've posted a message on the Briskoda.net (in the related topic), but no reply so far.

Basically the informations that I'm looking for are:
1. Am I going to harm or to break the MIB3 unit(bear in mind that I DO NOT have the built in Sat Nav) by following the above procedure? My current version is outdated (v21.2)!
2. Is the latest update bringing anything new OR I'm wasting my time/energy with it? What I'm trying to express is that I'll not feel any difference between old version and new version related to the current features on my car, and it doesn't make sense to do it.

Br

Nov 18, 2021
Thank you guys for the replies.

I've posted a message on the Briskoda.net (in the related topic), but no reply so far.

Basically the informations that I'm looking for are:
1. Am I going to harm or to break the MIB3 unit(bear in mind that I DO NOT have the built in Sat Nav) by following the above procedure? My current version is outdated (v21.2)!
2. Is the latest update bringing anything new OR I'm wasting my time/energy with it? What I'm trying to express is that I'll not feel any difference between old version and new version related to the current features on my car, and it doesn't make sense to do it.

Br
It's very easy in fact. You only need to extract the contents of the zipped file to a compatible USB, connect the USB in the fron usb connector, and wait to its job. Normally, after 1 or 2 hours driving the maps get updated. You are not notified, so the only manner to know if its updated, its looking at system information.

Reactions: djmartzian and Tell

Tell

Staff member
Yes the only thing that would go wrong would be where Mac OS users dont use Keka and run CleanMyDrive on the USB after the copy. That is a common error when people do the mib2 high extract. It foils the SLA check and the unit won't see the update.

BTW There should be the June release soon. The mib2 standard and high ones have already been discovered, ready to be wrapped in the web page for release so we've updated already. Normal form on these or you wait till late June and check the VW site. The people who discover them run a macro to probe the servers for the next release. Once they are discovered it cuts out the need for everyone to look on the VW website, now with a login. Worth checking the Italian site I linked to above where one guy appeared to be on top of the subject for mib3 on past releases. I just eyeballed that site nothing appeared yet, but it might be out there on another forum. Leave users to post here when found.

djmartzian

Apr 25, 2023
Hello guys,

In this weekend I've tested the above MAP Upgrade process. I can truly say it just worked. I extracted the archive and copied all the files directly on root. The USB strick has been plugged in one of the front USB ports on trip longer than 2h. Now, the Navigation Database version is 22.6 - looking at system information.

QQ: Is this the latest version than can be used to perform update in offline mode?
LATER EDIT: New version is available at: https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB/Updates
OI_P95_EU_202325_Offline_Update.zip

Thank you

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
VW is always likely to be the latest. Skoda and Seat historically drag their feet at updating map files to upload into the unit. You can always load up the Skoda one. Looking at the creation date within the zipped file once unzipped gives you an idea without installing it. When I looked the Skoda one was very old. Ditto at the time.

You can just install the Skoda one and check the date v the VW one.

djmartzian

Apr 25, 2023
Hello guys,

In this weekend I've tested the above MAP Upgrade process. I can truly say it just worked. I extracted the archive and copied all the files directly on root. The USB strick has been plugged in one of the front USB ports on trip longer than 2h. Now, the Navigation Database version is 22.6 - looking at system information.

QQ: Is this the latest version than can be used to perform update in offline mode?
LATER EDIT: New version is available at: https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB/Updates
OI_P95_EU_202325_Offline_Update.zip

Thank you
Hi all,

Update on the above: I've had a "long" trip(>2h) in this weekend and I've managed to update the Nav DB with the above file. Now, the Navigation Database version is 22.12 - looking at system information.

Cheers

Tell

Staff member
As a matter of interest was that one taken from the Skoda site or VW ?. The normal release period is November and June. VW got the mib2 ones out very early so if you took it from the VW site it may be the latest or may be just into July worth checking again. November ones you would check just into December. Mib2 have release codes on them so one is better placed to keep tabs on the release and people search them out before they are wrapped in the web page. I'm sure Mib3 is similar but I've yet to see people publishing the server location of these ahead of the web page being written to link to them. It will probably happen.

Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists