Upgraded to MK 3 Facelift FR!

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Hi all

Old returning member after finally changing car!

Had my MK 2 Sport TDI for 15yrs and 170k miles but finally had to say goodbye to her :(. Enjoyed every mile but happy with the new upgrade!

Recently picked up 2017 facelift FR with about 60k on the clock and currently having some things sorted and would welcome any thoughts.

1. When bought, the infotainment unit in glovebox had been damaged with a CD stuck in the slot. Garage had sourced a replacement but hadn't coded yet. As I had driven 3hrs to view the car, they offered that I could take it and have it coded locally and they would cover cost which was a bonus! So for 3wks waiting for the earliest slot available, I had limited use and no radio/music!! Picked up after it was coded and radio now works but have lost more functionality!

I'm not exactly sure which version of the infotainment system I have but the head unit appears to be the larger alternative with only two selection buttons and a single dial.
  • Sat Nav menu now shows 'The navigation data in the infotainment system is not valid. Please check data'. This was working fine before.
  • Compass on dashboard now only appears intermittently but may be linked to above?
  • Bluetooth - Was working but now shows 'Unable to switch on Bluetooth'.
  • Android Play - Again was working but now get a line saying something about needing a licence.
  • Mode button - Didn't work initially and still nothing. Button lights yellow when pressed but does not bring up mode screen to select. Have seen a previous post by R1chy99 mentioning some code that needs to be reset which will hopefully remedy.
It's booked in again for this Tuesday for them to try and fix but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas about why this coding of infotainment system has lost these features. I don't think the replacement infotainment system was a new one and may have been sourced from another car. Would this make a difference and would it only have whatever features were available on the donor car or is the functionality available?

Other than this I'm loving the car and have it booked in for a Superchips remap at end of month which I had on the old car for about 12years and hoping makes the same difference as before!!

Really grateful of any thoughts and any other recommendations for this model.

Cheers
Shadders

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I think it would probably have been better to repair the old unit, assuming the CD hadn't damaged anything should have been reasonably easy to strip it and remove it, also it may have been coded to disable the eject mechanism although I can't see why someone would do that.
These units have CP (component protection) on them which has to be removed before it can be used in another vehicle, they also have what are known as SWaP codes which control what features are enabled for an individual vehicle.
Some of the units use a SD card for navigation and others have the maps stored on an internal SSD.

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
I think it would probably have been better to repair the old unit, assuming the CD hadn't damaged anything should have been reasonably easy to strip it and remove it, also it may have been coded to disable the eject mechanism although I can't see why someone would do that.
These units have CP (component protection) on them which has to be removed before it can be used in another vehicle, they also have what are known as SWaP codes which control what features are enabled for an individual vehicle.
Some of the units use a SD card for navigation and others have the maps stored on an internal SSD.
Hi

The unit had already been swapped out when I viewed/bought the car. The garage just hadn't had time to code as only replaced the same day which was a Sunday so no technicians on site.

My one had a Seat SD card in which it seems held the map data and which I think may be the problem. I wonder if they had not ejected it properly before they coded and maybe this affected it/caused corruption etc.

She's booked in again tomorrow so fingers crossed they can fix!

Cheers

Reactions: Walone

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Update on the ongoing saga and some further assistance/thoughts required please!

Firstly, after being booked in for a second time it was found that the infotainment F5 in the glovebox that the garage I purchased from installed was actually from a 2016 Ibiza! With this it's not compatible at all.

After lots of negotiation, the garage have now agreed to pay Seat to fit a brand new unit with Sat Nav/Full link etc enabled :).

From the user manuals with the car, I see that there are two options available, either 'Navi System' or 'Navi System Plus'. As I never had the original unit in the car, I don't know which option my car actually had although the car was advertised with having an 'upgraded navigation system costing x hundreds of £'s'. Unfortunately the garage web page for the car is no longer available.

I have been doing some research on the forum but have found myself going around in circles and I want to make sure I'm getting what I should! It appears quite difficult to distinguish between the two (especially when you have never had the correct box installed!). But I have seen mentioned that one way to identify is that only the Navi Plus has the the 'Jukebox' function.

What I can say is that the head unit is the one with the larger screen with two selection buttons and a volume control knob. When I first got the car, the Nav/Full Link/Bluetooth were all visible from the head unit but unable to play any sound due to the F5 not being coded so it seemed to be showing the original functionality but just unable to fully use. But I definitely saw that Jukebox was an option in media source which leads me to think this was the Plus version.

However since it has been coded to the replacement box, I no longer have any navigation/Full Link/bluetooth so cannot confirm any details about what I had previously or now.

Are they any other pointers to identify which one the car may have had?

I also have to order the right parts myself so would be useful if anyone knows what I need to ask for. When speaking to one Seat dealer the parts team told me there was only one option of F5 although there definitely appears to be two with the 'Plus' version having an internal SSD (?) storage.

With all of the ramblings above you can see I am totally confused and after almost 3 months am desperate to have the car in the state it should have been!!

@Tell - I've added you as I've seen you've provided lots of useful content on this subject but my little brain can't piece it all together! Would be great if you have any advice.

Also if anyone can tell me what system I have installed ie MIB1/MIB2 or, how to check, would be great as this has confused my reading!

I'd really appreciate any feedback as I want to get this ordered/fitted ASAP before garage changes mind again about paying for it!!

Cheers
Shadders

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Update on the ongoing saga and some further assistance/thoughts required please!

Firstly, after being booked in for a second time it was found that the infotainment F5 in the glovebox that the garage I purchased from installed was actually from a 2016 Ibiza! With this it's not compatible at all.

After lots of negotiation, the garage have now agreed to pay Seat to fit a brand new unit with Sat Nav/Full link etc enabled :).

From the user manuals with the car, I see that there are two options available, either 'Navi System' or 'Navi System Plus'. As I never had the original unit in the car, I don't know which option my car actually had although the car was advertised with having an 'upgraded navigation system costing x hundreds of £'s'. Unfortunately the garage web page for the car is no longer available.

I have been doing some research on the forum but have found myself going around in circles and I want to make sure I'm getting what I should! It appears quite difficult to distinguish between the two (especially when you have never had the correct box installed!). But I have seen mentioned that one way to identify is that only the Navi Plus has the the 'Jukebox' function.

What I can say is that the head unit is the one with the larger screen with two selection buttons and a volume control knob. When I first got the car, the Nav/Full Link/Bluetooth were all visible from the head unit but unable to play any sound due to the F5 not being coded so it seemed to be showing the original functionality but just unable to fully use. But I definitely saw that Jukebox was an option in media source which leads me to think this was the Plus version.

However since it has been coded to the replacement box, I no longer have any navigation/Full Link/bluetooth so cannot confirm any details about what I had previously or now.

Are they any other pointers to identify which one the car may have had?

I also have to order the right parts myself so would be useful if anyone knows what I need to ask for. When speaking to one Seat dealer the parts team told me there was only one option of F5 although there definitely appears to be two with the 'Plus' version having an internal SSD (?) storage.

With all of the ramblings above you can see I am totally confused and after almost 3 months am desperate to have the car in the state it should have been!!

@Tell - I've added you as I've seen you've provided lots of useful content on this subject but my little brain can't piece it all together! Would be great if you have any advice.

I'd really appreciate any feedback as I want to get this ordered/fitted ASAP before garage changes mind again about paying for it!!

Cheers
Shadders
The build codes of the car is going to tell you whether it was built with the Seat Plus unit (Mib2 high) or Seat Standard (Mib2 Standard). £600 or so price difference if it was like mine at the time. Your dealer should be able to print out the build codes for you. That will have a line on it or two saying with or without.

Mine has the line:

105 7UG VWGROUP NAV Navigation system - High

That's the high unit (Seat Plus).

The Arona which has the standard system says this:

104 7UF VWGROUP NAV Navigation system - Standard

If it also mention navigation SD card that's also a clue, standard.

You can venture your own hour or two on Erwin to get the build codes yourself plus all the workshop manuals. I always think if you own the car outright you might as well go the whole hog and get the workshop manuals. Like having Haynes manuals of old.

Erwin costs about £8 an hour, you should raid the Pdfs in two and download the pdf build codes or ask the dealer for a print out. Think only a dealer witg access to Erwin can do that (VAG documentation / repair system).

The VIN number is on the windscreen you photograph it if you are looking it up yourself.

Not sure whether you are dealing with a Seat dealer since there will be programming to do to marry up the unit. Retrofit ones like from the boards sponsor East Yorkshire Retrofit (@East Yorkshire Retrofits ) will be unlocked to give you plug and play to get someone to fit it, or you take your car to them to get it fitted. I'd be careful about buying second hand units off eBay. @Walone point, CP protection, ones supplied by retrofitters have this taken off.

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
@Tell

Thanks for the quick reply(y)

I'll be having this supplied/fitted by an official Seat dealer so they will/should be able to have all coding done correctly etc.

I'll speak to another dealer tomorrow to see if they can confirm the build code and identify which unit was in there originally. The other dealer quoted me £898 inc VAT for just the hardware.

I'm also hoping that this will solve the issue with with the Mode button not working as well as currently doesn't pull up any screens/menus!!

Thanks again for the response.

Cheers

Tell

Staff member
If a Seat dealer @Shadders get them to order and fit it. The retrofit ones are second hand whilst the main dealer ones should be new. If new then they need integrating with the rest of the car (CP). If it's a standard unit they will need to provide the map card. The high units have the map on the SSD. Mind you it might be a challenge for a dealer, something they dont often do. Needs all the FeCs loaded up. Retrofit ones are plug and play. A new unit integrated into your car, more coding.

The best bet would be to check which part number was originally fitted (we can check this with your VIN). We can then work out which software train it should be. From here it's possible to install a unit with the correct software train, perform whatever TPI takes it to the latest version and then perform SVM meaning it will be automatically coded to the factory spec (Or, we can do it manually with 0 differences, just a little extra work). You'd also benefit from being completely up to date software wise.

As your car already had MIB2, it's a simple case of restoring the FeCs associated with your VIN, no need for any hacktivations.

New infotainment systems are in their thousands, so even with discount I'm amazed that a dealer can offer it to you at that price 🤯

IMO there's no reason to remove the unit that had been thrown into the car willy nilly. Just configure it correctly and you'll never know it wasn't factory fit.

We've seen a flurry of factory fit MIB2 units give up the ghost recently, so spent a lot of our time replacing them.

www.eastyorkshireretrofits.co.uk
VWAG independent workshop

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell and SuperV8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
@Tell

Thanks for the quick reply(y)

I'll be having this supplied/fitted by an official Seat dealer so they will/should be able to have all coding done correctly etc.

I'll speak to another dealer tomorrow to see if they can confirm the build code and identify which unit was in there originally. The other dealer quoted me £898 inc VAT for just the hardware.

I'm also hoping that this will solve the issue with with the Mode button not working as well as currently doesn't pull up any screens/menus!!

Thanks again for the response.

Cheers
If you need help I can tell you your build codes (PR codes) if you IM me your reg.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise