Vibrations above 50mph - any thoughts

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Just been on the M1 to chesterfield today and experienced vibration and noise in the cabin, on a smooth road. At 60mpg I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel and as I then accelerate, the vibration becomes audible through the cabin, sounding like a helicopter under the car above 80mpg, then above 85mpg a clattering also starts (note these later observations were experienced whilst on a privare runways of course).

Have not experienced any kerb/debris collisions etc in recent months, so any advice on what I should direct the garage team (booked in next week) would be much appreciated, noting:-

Car at 48k miles, serviced in line with warrenty. On looking under car, it appears that the lower engine cover has come away at one corner (this might explain the clattering, but cant see how this would generate vibrations.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

product

Nov 6, 2007
Maybe a wheel weight has fallen off? Would only cause a noticeable wobble at high speeds...

Assuming every time you say mpg, you mean mph? ;)

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I'd say its the cover for sure. If the vibration is through the car and not just trough the steering then its probably that.

Has any work been done recently?

MikeShaw100

Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Guys - thanks for your thoughts and will be sure to highlight these to the technician.

I havnt had any work done other than regular service and yes, I did mean mph - could you imagine 85mpg, that would be mint. The problem is that I am so used to championing the excellent 'mpg' of my FRTDI on this forum :redface: . Taking it easy now until I can get to Ted Johnsons Seat, so my 'mpg' is back up to 48+.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Mike
FRTDI, Crono, 18", BT, Cupra bumper 'n' grille, Armrest, Alu Pack, BT, Muddies 'n' Mats

Last edited:

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
if it hasnt had any damage or pot holes then i cant see any reason for it other than a wheel weight...

"long shot but" check all your tyres are on the correct way also as the are mostly one directional and maybe the join in the tyre is starting to take punishment if on the wrong way.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
National Tyres are doing wheel alignment (not balancing, admittedly) for £14 through their website (look under special offers) at the moment.

Might be a start, even if it isn't full alignment on the back wheels...

MikeShaw100

Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Post Update

Had a tyre explode on me yesterday evening, luckily in my village, and thought perhaps this may be linked to the vibration in the past couple of days.

Booked in at Seat Barnsley today for some new tyres and will let all know whether this resolves vibration problem.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

MikeShaw100

Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
New tyres on and vibration gone, so assume this was due to two nails found in one of the rear tyres. Still had 6mm of tread, but as they had done 48k miles, thought a new pair would be beneficial.

Thanks for all the advice.
Mike:)

Last edited:

mikko22

hello..
i have got seat altea 1,9tdi sport reference 2006..
i wonder if you can help me, i have got the problem with the engine.. i ve been trying to have it fixed, i put the car into the garages few times already but the problem hasn't stopped.. the problem is that, if i drive and im changing the gear in the low torgues from low speed to higher, (3-4, 4-5) i feel vibration ( shaking ) of the engine and in the car as a whole.. The vibration appers mainly in the low tourgue, during the acceleration but in the higher torgue ( 2000ish ) when I change the gear to higher i dont feel anything at all... this car was bought a year ago with the 55000 milage then. I havent noticed this problem after I bought it, because this car used to be used only for short distances only. i ve noticed that after driving longer distance myself ( 2 hours ).. I drived this car twice to my country , which was about a 1000miles each way.
this problem occurs once the engine has been warmed up ( let say 15min after starting the cold engine)..
i had the engine tuned by the profesional company ( flushremapping) a couple months ago a the problem still exists. The new clutch flywheel has been replaced in an order to get rid of the problem and also there is a new cambelt.. After asking about this problem, each garage keep saying that there is a different problem and Im fed up..I ve been loooking for the answer on the different forums online and i found one good one ( tdiclub.com) where I found out that there may be a problem with : cvjoints, enginemount, injection, flywheel...so therefore I had the clutch changed , i cleaned the injections with the fuel cleaner too.
I spent already over £1000 trying to fix it but as you can see,it didnt work. So since then Iam being careful where which garage im going to put my car next time in. It is a really good car and I just want to have it fixed. any ideas,, is any good mechanic who lives in my area ??? (watford)