water puimp dying ?

cawsey18

Apr 5, 2009
Hi there alittle concerned. was driving to drop someone off last night and it was tipping down with rain and i had the heater on to clear the windscreen. i put me foot down a little on a dual carriageway, and i noticed the temp starting to go up from its normal 90 to nearly 120 !. so i backed right of and it started going down. :S this has never happend before.

i then went out this morning to try and replicate to see what conditions where making it like this . and yes it did it again.. you can give it a quick blast with your foot and it seems ok but sustain the power and it kreeps up :S:S .. please help cheers

Jul 8, 2007
Mine did the same put the engine under any load an the emp gauge wud start to rise everytime i stopped 20sec laer it would stay at 90, Mine did turn out to the be the water pump so had cambely done at the same time, I would suspect that yours is the water pump :)

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Yea sounds like the pump is come off the drive. the plastics comes away on the pump and at low revs it can still spin fine then with a bit more throttle it just slips and stops pumping the water round making it over heat.

When was the cambelt and pump changed if ever ?

cawsey18

Apr 5, 2009
yer yer .. i dont think it has been changed cars only on 35k . doesnt show in the history so im guessing it hasntt. ok i will get that booked in this week, thank god i have just bought a mk2 gti to play about with can use this for abit :D