What are peoples 'must have' accesories & extras?

demonear

Sep 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Or what did you wish that you'd gone for that you didn't?

It looks like I'm going for the FR TDI 170 after much deliberation & advice from the helpful guys on here.
I had toyed with the idea of DSG in a Lux Nav 140 TDI or FR DSG with the paddles but have decided to go for the more 'pure' & controlled driving experience of the stick shift torquey 170 with the miles I do. I think I'd miss the traditional more involving set-up after the initial novelty had worn off.
Maybe my next car for DSG. I can always plug in my Tom Tom when i rarely need it so the Lux Nav is probably unnecessary, though I did like the sound of the leather seats in the Lux Nav model. Hmmm?

The final choice frontier is choosing the extras for the TDI FR anyway.

If there's a similar thread anywhere apologies & guide me to that, otherwise. An explanation of the ins and outs of all the convenience packs etc & there actual usefulness or cost would be spot on & very helpful!

cheers in advance :clap: i'm getting excited now! :bounce:

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Just beware that all options are worth next to nothing come resale time, so get want you will use but don't go overboard and expect to recoup the value, you won't.

I have Convenience Pack (as per other thread), iPod Connector and Autoglym Lifeshine.

Convenience Pack is great for the price, I am paying over double that for almost the same thing on my new car.

iPod connector, I have a full thread on this under the FAQ. It isn't as great as you'd hope but plays your iPod with limitations. Worth getting that or the USB though. My dealer wouldn't even sell me a CD Changer last year they are that old hat. (so he said)

Autoglym Lifeshine and the others, complete waste of space. Mine was free and I still feel ripped off.

If I was buying again I would get Bluetooth, not for the Bluetooth but for the large MFD and all the extra functions that gives you.

Xenons came as standard on mine but are an option now. I personally don't rate them at all and for me are no better than halogen. Most of my night driving is on well lit roads though. People who live in the sticks say they are useful but not worth the money.

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
Factory Options
18" wheels
Blue Tooth
Ipod dock

Dealer Fits
Mudflaps
Cupra Pedal rubbers
Arm Rest
Sill guards

If your happy fitting the "delaer" fit bits yourself, Dave @ "SEREMOTORS " will hook you up with some good prices, his member name on here is "seremotors" too[B)]

Last edited:

demonear

Sep 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Just beware that all options are worth next to nothing come resale time, so get want you will use but don't go overboard and expect to recoup the value, you won't.

I have Convenience Pack (as per other thread), iPod Connector and Autoglym Lifeshine.

Convenience Pack is great for the price, I am paying over double that for almost the same thing on my new car.

iPod connector, I have a full thread on this under the FAQ. It isn't as great as you'd hope but plays your iPod with limitations. Worth getting that or the USB though. My dealer wouldn't even sell me a CD Changer last year they are that old hat. (so he said)

Autoglym Lifeshine and the others, complete waste of space. Mine was free and I still feel ripped off.

If I was buying again I would get Bluetooth, not for the Bluetooth but for the large MFD and all the extra functions that gives you.

Xenons came as standard on mine but are an option now. I personally don't rate them at all and for me are no better than halogen. Most of my night driving is on well lit roads though. People who live in the sticks say they are useful but not worth the money.

Cheers again Phil. Top advice. This is really helping me fill in the knowledge blanks!

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
One other thing that might be worth adding is passenger airbag deactivation. I think it is about £25.

Essential if you ever have kids and would make it easier to sell to someone who wants to put a baby seat in the passenger side.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Hi m8, good choice!

As said the Bluetooth is a must....

I didn't bother with 18" upgrade as i wanted something a bit different anyway

Convenience & Winter - If you can afford it, but not essential

iPod - actually pretty poor so I would get an aftermarket one that displays track names etc

Mud flaps are a good bet and a green cotton filter

I havent got any of the interior add-ons except pedals which i got off a member on here (along with the filter & mud flaps!) but they probably improve things, just seem expensive to me....

I keep meaning to get a centre arm rest too lots of people swear by them...

If you have loads of £££ get a RNS-510 sat nav then you won't need the iPod as it has a H/D!

demonear

Sep 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi m8, good choice!

As said the Bluetooth is a must....

I didn't bother with 18" upgrade as i wanted something a bit different anyway

Convenience & Winter - If you can afford it, but not essential

iPod - actually pretty poor so I would get an aftermarket one that displays track names etc

Mud flaps are a good bet and a green cotton filter

I havent got any of the interior add-ons except pedals which i got off a member on here (along with the filter & mud flaps!) but they probably improve things, just seem expensive to me....

I keep meaning to get a centre arm rest too lots of people swear by them...

If you have loads of £££ get a RNS-510 sat nav then you won't need the iPod as it has a H/D!

Hi again m8. Yep think it's the right one!
What's the winter pack do? & What's a green cotton filter?

I do fancy the arm rest. Especially since i've stayed with stick shift..

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
hmmmm - most worthwhile stuff I forked out for was

bluetooth - essential full stop

armrest - just makes such a huge difference when driving

HID's - difference in light output is awesome

rear PDC (accessory kit)

folding mirrors - standard but a necessity where I live!

wanted a sunroof but would have to wait 12 weeks on a car!!!!

the rest is just for looks ;)

Last edited:

KarenFR

Feb 23, 2008
North West
I've got Con Pack, Winter Pack, Ipod, Sunroof, Bluetooth, Rear Parking Sensors and PAD, and if I was buying/speccing my car again - I'd want them all, because I use them all :)

Con Pack - Auto-dimming mirror is a godsend - I do a lot of night driving, just wish the wing mirrors were auto-dimming too. Auto-lights/wipers make you lazy tho'. Am always forgetting to turn lights on/off, if I'm driving a car without them.

Winter Pack - The heated seats are excellent. I hate getting into a cold car, and the seats warm up really quickly, which is great until the cabin gets warm.

Ipod - Not the best in the world, but it does it's job, apart from not having track titles displayed, but for only £90........... Could be in a more accessible place tho'. Pain in the bum having it under the drivers seat.

Sunroof - Didn't think I'd use it, but I do. Only complaint is that if you close it using the key, when you get back in the car you have to manually turn the switch from 'open' to 'close' and then to 'open' again to open it. Should be automatic, when you put the key in the ignition like the wing mirrors do.

Rear Parking Sensors - Only you know whether you need those or not - I know I do!:(

PAD - Not something I've used often, but when I've needed to put my grandson in the front, because I've had to drop the rear seats, was very glad I had it, and it only costs £30

As for internal extras - my dealer threw mine as 'freebies' (mats, armrest, aluminium sill-guards, aluminium doortrim, rear parcel shelf tray and ashtray from the smokers pack (useful for loose change)) and yup - I like them all :)

Oh, and one 'extra' that I got from the dealer that I loved, but didn't last very long, was a huuuuuge bouquet of flowers, when I picked my car up. :)

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
I've got Con Pack, Winter Pack, Ipod, Sunroof, Bluetooth, Rear Parking Sensors and PAD, and if I was buying/speccing my car again - I'd want them all, because I use them all :)

Con Pack - Auto-dimming mirror is a godsend - I do a lot of night driving, just wish the wing mirrors were auto-dimming too. Auto-lights/wipers make you lazy tho'. Am always forgetting to turn lights on/off, if I'm driving a car without them.

Winter Pack - The heated seats are excellent. I hate getting into a cold car, and the seats warm up really quickly, which is great until the cabin gets warm.

Ipod - Not the best in the world, but it does it's job, apart from not having track titles displayed, but for only £90........... Could be in a more accessible place tho'. Pain in the bum having it under the drivers seat.

Sunroof - Didn't think I'd use it, but I do. Only complaint is that if you close it using the key, when you get back in the car you have to manually turn the switch from 'open' to 'close' and then to 'open' again to open it. Should be automatic, when you put the key in the ignition like the wing mirrors do.

Rear Parking Sensors - Only you know whether you need those or not - I know I do!:(

PAD - Not something I've used often, but when I've needed to put my grandson in the front, because I've had to drop the rear seats, was very glad I had it, and it only costs £30

As for internal extras - my dealer threw mine as 'freebies' (mats, armrest, aluminium sill-guards, aluminium doortrim, rear parcel shelf tray and ashtray from the smokers pack (useful for loose change)) and yup - I like them all :)

Oh, and one 'extra' that I got from the dealer that I loved, but didn't last very long, was a huuuuuge bouquet of flowers, when I picked my car up. :)

I think if you had gone for the leather seats as well as all that lot you might have got a proposal as well as the flowers from the dealer, he must have thought he was salesman of the year!!!!!

How did you wangle a free armrest???? [:@]

Bigfoot

Jan 27, 2008
Doncaster
I went the whole hog
Full body kit
Full leather interior
18" wheels
Arm rest
HID head lights
What the hell i know i wont get my money back but their for me.

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
The bluetooth is a must, I constantly use mine while at work. The heated seats are a nice feature especially with winter coming up. The convenience pack is handy to have. Mine came with the 18" wheels as well and I feel they look a lot better than the others.

I never use my Ipod connector though..

The only thing I miss not having is the armrest, but I plan on getting one of those soon when I have more monies! :)

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I have on my FR:
Bluetooth
PAD
Convenience Pack
Winter Pack
Bi-Xenon headlights
USB Port
Front and Rear mudflaps

All totting up to a packet, but all oh so so worth the money :)

Next on my shopping list:
Arm rest
Boot tray
Alu Sills

The auto lights of the convenience pack are an absolute god-send. The Auto wipers are a bit hit and miss but still nice to have.

Winter pack heated fabric seats are fab on chilly mornings, although it does disconcertingly feel like I'm slowly wetting myself....
Bi-Xenon headlights are fantastic along the unlit country roads
USB Port currently has an 8GB flash stick connected and the steering wheel controls mean I don't have to move far :)

What I didn't go for:
Sat-nav - not worth it for all that extra cost. I've got an old dell pda which I've resurrected with a 20 quid gps compact flash adapter ;) Unless you're planning to go exploring lots of new uncharted areas frequently, I wouldn't bother.

18" wheels - I'd like to actually have enough vertebrae left to LEAVE the car afterwards :p

Sunroof - I'm too busy grinning like a lunatic out of the windscreen :)

I'm hopefully going to be keeping the car for a while, and as I'm forking out so much money for it, I might as well have all the creature comforts to make her stay more enjoyable :)

ktulumike

Jul 9, 2008
Banbridge, N Ireland

:wtf:I got good firm handshake and a huge grin from the salesman. Who ever said it's a man's world? ;)

I think if you had gone for the leather seats as well as all that lot you might have got a proposal as well as the flowers from the dealer, he must have thought he was salesman of the year!!!!!

How did you wangle a free armrest???? [:@]

We all know there's no such thing as a free lunch or armrest! You've paid for it somewhere along the way but what the hell, its a nice touch with the flowers.

Extras for me;

Can't live without the Bluetooth which is much better than the Bluetooth factory fitted on my neighbours £34K BMW 3 series and the additional MFA functions are good.

BI-Xenons are brilliant (sic) on country roads and for dazzling wa**kers who drive on their sidelights or have their foglamps on all the time and are also better than my neighbours BMW 3 series which doesn't have AFS and are only Xenons not Bi-Xenons!

In this job you get very good at reversing cars on very tight forecourts but even so I think the Rear Park Sensors are a Godsend, firstly because they only have to stop you hitting one unseen poxy little concrete post to get your moneys worth and secondly because I drop my nipper at school every morning and his 3 foot tall schoolmates have a habit of walking behind the car just as I'm reversing.

Armrest is a must, wish it was standard fit.

18" alloys don't catch kerbs as easily as the 17"

Sunroof is nice especially on crisp, clear winter days. Not re-opening on the key is a pain but probably better than getting a head full of rain/snow if you forget you'd had it opened when you parked.

Covenience is a nice indulgence, wipers are not always as responsive as I'd like but the lights and mirror work well especially the unlock/lights-on feature.

the new Denison I-pod connector should be a better (although more expensive) alternative to the factory fit or ice-link options.

If 2 people drive the car then an additional remote key is a must.

All in my opinion of course!:D

Last edited:

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
I've only added on thing on my car, for me it was the single item that made the biggest difference, and the one thing that annoyed me about the stock car - no other cars in this class have plain dial surrounds....

n516327780_747443_6879.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.