What happens after stage 2+

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
Hi folks, i am just thinking about my car and it is pretty much finished in the may of modifying to the extent i intended it has.

GIAC hammer
Milltek TB
Dbilas intake
HPFP
And is away to get
Diff
Clutch
Engine Mounts
WALK kit
ARB's
Coilovers
Pro race 1.2 with track day tires

I have decided to keep the car now obviously so was wondering if i were to continue modifying what would be the next options for performance and handling.

obviously there is big turbo but what would need to be done with this to keep it a reliable car that is "Fairly maintenance free"

any ideas, cheers

Poverty

Stage 3 BSH gt3071r kit and some injectors and internals. Think the turbo kit is £3500 plus internals etc.

I wouldnt want all that power through the front wheels, its would frustrate me too much only ever being able to use full power under perfect conditions.

What If I told you that I reckon you could get a haldex conversion done for about 2k if you can find a necessary donor car at the right price?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Lose weight oot the car min, and get some coilovers.

Weight loss will make more of a difference than anything, and reduce rolling mass (lighter hubs, flywheel, brakes etc), remove seats, sound deadening and stuff you dont need.

Its one of the reasons the Megane R26 is so quick point to point and there is a lad on vxronline with a 300bhp Astra that would probably skelp your car, and mine purely down to a good set up and minimal weight.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
funny you should say that horace, i think i am away to rip it to bits in the next few months but not 100% yet, and i totally agree as i also think it would be the best way to make the car handle and perform better

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I am not going to go with more power as I dont think that the gains (bhp/£) are worthwhile on a big turbo, and from some of the cars I have seen with big turbo conversions, they need a lot of checking and are rarely going to be as bullet proof/relaible as a more OEM based set up.

When you consider uprated internals, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, new map etc etc, you are talking about thousands, and ultimately, the front wheels can only do so much, and you will be looking at a later spool etc.

You may be well advised to go with a decat, water/meths injection and possible hybridisation of your turbo though as well as different actuator with regard to going quicker. Also, rather than 4x4, you could look in to the possibility of retro fitting DSG as that seems to give a decent edge performance wise through less time to change gear, but I think that would be a hard and expensive modification to do and get right - not something I would want to tackle anyway.

Last edited:

Poverty

£2k all in or just for the AWD system?

around 2k all in, as long as you can get the donor parts for the right price.

Have seen this conversion being done on a mk5 gti in the US and it really is a piece of piss.

Poverty

I am not going to go with more power as I dont think that the gains (bhp/£) are worthwhile on a big turbo, and from some of the cars I have seen with big turbo conversions, they need a lot of checking and are rarely going to be as bullet proof/relaible as a more OEM based set up.

When you consider uprated internals, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, new map etc etc, you are talking about thousands, and ultimately, the front wheels can only do so much, and you will be looking at a later spool etc.

You may be well advised to go with a decat, water/meths injection and possible hybridisation of your turbo though as well as different actuator with regard to going quicker. Also, rather than 4x4, you could look in to the possibility of retro fitting DSG as that seems to give a decent edge performance wise through less time to change gear, but I think that would be a hard and expensive modification to do and get right - not something I would want to tackle anyway.

DSG conversion is hard work from what I have read, apparently its not just as simple as slapping a dsg hardware into our cars, but it all has to communicate with the engine etc.

To get more out the k04 water meth, uprated actuator and charge pipe and pulley is probably the next step without ripping the cars to pieces.

Sometime though I think it would be easier and cheaper for some to just buy a evo 7 for 7k, strip that out map it and run that. Would be a weapon.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
DSG conversion is hard work from what I have read, apparently its not just as simple as slapping a dsg hardware into our cars, but it all has to communicate with the engine etc.

To get more out the k04 water meth, uprated actuator and charge pipe and pulley is probably the next step without ripping the cars to pieces.

Sometime though I think it would be easier and cheaper for some to just buy a evo 7 for 7k, strip that out map it and run that. Would be a weapon.

Yeah, like I say its not something I would want to tackle, but there is no denying that the Ed30 DSG 1/4 mile times are quicker than we would manage in a Cupra.

The thing with an Evo 7 for 7k is that you would probably end up with a piece of crap that is starting to rot, that several people have owned and thrashed to death, and would also need money spent on it to be as quick in a straight line (after 2nd gear obviously). That plus the really high running costs, and its not really as much of a bargain any more.

Not going to say I havent thought about it myself right enough, but the thing with an Evo is that you wont stop at bolt ons given that the car can easily handle way more than a stock engine/turbo can give to the car itself.

Over a short track however, a 106 with throttlebodies is going to be just as quick as an Evo.

It is my opinion that when Owen and I finally get all our handling bits on, when we get to a track day at knockhill, I think we will be scaring your Evo 7's, M3's etc based on the fact that our Cupras will no longer have the achilles heel a normal tuned Cupra has - the inability to cope with the power available to it. With the power harnessed properly, and the chassis tweaked enough, the 330-340 wheel hp available should allow the car to stand its ground against other big hitters.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
+1:funk:, anyone can buy an evo and have a fast car but i want one that is differant, one that i have put effort into to make it unique, i think our car can cope with the power it has at the moment and more once the car is modified to handle it.

is it a massive job to change the actuator or is it a case of replacement???

Poverty

You two are definetly making quick progress with the mods. Two of the most sorted k04 leons will be scottish, imagine the odds of that lol.

I still dream of my TTRS, but its gonna be a while off still currently, so looks like I will be doing diff and clutch at some point soon.

Need to get a few of us all down to a trackday so we can have a chinwag put names to faces and all that ;)

Actuator takes 2.5 hours apparently, however hurdy lost power after fitting his as the spring isnt setup properly or something like that? Im wondering if Al's oem actuator spring is knackered

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
yeah hurdy seems to be the man to know, might give him a PM...

i know, i am pretty sure i am going to go to a 1/4 down south in summer so be good to get a meet organised.

i had a race with a toyota starlet last night and it gave me a slight shock, i mean i passed him but it wasnt as easy as i thought it would have been, i dont know what power these little starlets can put out but it was quick and they weigh f3ck all...so i need to make sure their isnt a chance of this happening again hahahahaha

this obviously took place on a private track

Poverty

i know, i am pretty sure i am going to go to a 1/4 down south in summer so be good to get a meet organised.

i had a race with a toyota starlet last night and it gave me a slight shock, i mean i passed him but it wasnt as easy as i thought it would have been, i dont know what power these little starlets can put out but it was quick and they weigh f3ck all...so i need to make sure their isnt a chance of this happening again hahahahaha

yeah man those starlets can be animals.

Heres some pics and info of a haldex conversion, posted more for my refernence so I can find that thread again lol

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4292438&page=4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3455053&page=8

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I think you lot should come north ;)

We had been looking in to the possibility of hiring a transporter to take a pile of our cars south so take part in some of the events down south so that it would

a) Save miles on the cars
b) Allow for drinks on route
c) If something breaks, it will still get all the way home

As it stands, the only reason I will be driving south that far is for work being done on the car.

Regarding the actuator, I have no idea, but will hopefully know soon enough.....

Poverty

I think you lot should come north ;)

We had been looking in to the possibility of hiring a transporter to take a pile of our cars south so take part in some of the events down south so that it would

a) Save miles on the cars
b) Allow for drinks on route
c) If something breaks, it will still get all the way home

As it stands, the only reason I will be driving south that far is for work being done on the car.

Regarding the actuator, I have no idea, but will hopefully know soon enough.....

How far north :think:

400 miles and 7 hours according to aa route planner from my house to glasgow. Reckon if I left early in the morning Id do it in 5 or so hours. Constant fuelling would get annoying though.

Should come down over a bank holiday weekend. Saturday do a track day, scn london meet, then night time activities, on the sunday a car show at the pod and 1/4 action and more nightime activities, then monday head back to scotland.

Got some nice hotels where we conduct our nightime activities for 40 a night, and there is also a 30 pound a night one but toilets etc are shared ;)

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East

My mates got a stripped out and highly tuned Starlet. Its got over 220bhp and weighs just over 800kgs and stupidly fast. He's an owner of a Japanese tuning company as also has a 900+ bhp Supra and 400+ bhp 350Z.

He reckons a Starlet with a similar spec can do around 12s at the pod. His Supra could do high 9s when it was fully operational.