What to do when you can't get your locking wheel bolts off!

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
As the title suggests....this is a very annoying problem...especialy if some monkey of a tire fitter has rounded off your locking wheel bolts off. Which is exactly the problem I found myself with today.

But as it may happen to other people in the future....here is what I did to fix it.

As with all guides and things on the internet, you follow at your own risk etc so don't blame me if anything goes wrong. (but it worked for me!)

My car is a leon 2001 180 cupra with the multi spoke alloys.

Basically what had happened is the teeth inside the bolt had been sheered off so there was nothing for the locking wheel nut to grip to when trying to undo the bolt.

However I got a 20mm Socket, and using a hammer banged it over the locking wheel bolt, it grips tightly and then unscrew the bolt using the socket as normal.

I then replaced all of my locking nuts with a new set from Halfords at a cost of £35. Bit expensive but it was the closest place open at the time.

Hope this info comes in usefull for someone.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Some have spinning chollars or are made so you cant hammer nothing on, this wont work for all locking nuts, i used to have a set of sockets with a reverse thread in that winds its self on tight as you undo it they wer quite dear but did the job till someone stole them, there are kits guarenteed to remove 99% of locking nuts for about 150 quid. Glad you got it off tho :)

NWhiteley

May 26, 2006
up north
Some have spinning chollars or are made so you cant hammer nothing on, this wont work for all locking nuts, i used to have a set of sockets with a reverse thread in that winds its self on tight as you undo it they wer quite dear but did the job till someone stole them, there are kits guarenteed to remove 99% of locking nuts for about 150 quid. Glad you got it off tho :)

The spinning collar is very easy to remove on most locking nuts, just use a centre punch in the gap between collar and the nut, and with one decent tap with a hammer it will split very easily.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
why did you pay it? If some monkey tyre fitter rounded it off get back to the garage and get them to pay!

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
why did you pay it? If some monkey tyre fitter rounded it off get back to the garage and get them to pay!

yeah the only thing is...I can't remember which garage last had my wheels off, as it woulda been easily over 6 months ago and they could easily just say "it wasn't us" and i have no proof

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Seat dealers have master key sets and normally charge as little as a tenner for the removal of all 4, or £15 for a replacement key. The removal only works if the bolts are not damaged though.