When should a Leon have its first cam belt change?

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
So Iv seen a Leon for sale but wanted to check out some stuff first before treking up the country to see it.

its 9 years old with not much over 40,000 on the clock. seems pretty good to me, Iv asked the seller (private, not dealer) a fair amount of question, the usual ones you should ask.

So I went to the Seat garage today and the guy there seemed a bit odd with me, but anyway I told him the milege and age and asked him about the cam belt and before i told him a price he said if it hasnt had the cam belt walk away, because it should have been done within 7 years or 70K miles. which didnt make much sense as i though it was 40-60K miles but still the 7 years old max shoulds possible.

He made the point that if i bough it and it snapped as i pulled off the drive then the seller isnt going to do much. He did o on to say though that "if you do go for it get them down by £600"

this was all before i told him is was £2000 but even then he didnt say much more. he just buggered off.

So anyone got any advice.

As mentioned in other threads, the cars spec is:
  • Leon 1.6 S
  • Y reg (march 2001)
  • 41K on the clock
  • £2K

Last edited:

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
60k or 4 years whichever comes first.
By all means try and knock some off for it not being done.
You would be extremely unlucky for it to break as you drive it away, just take it nice and easy to the garage and get it done asap.

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
60k or 4 years whichever comes first.
By all means try and knock some off for it not being done.
You would be extremely unlucky for it to break as you drive it away, just take it nice and easy to the garage and get it done asap.

someones go to be the unlucky sod. :p

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
No, have faith, should be fine with low milage, but try for couple of hundred off if it's due a service too then maybe a bit more.
Don't know how competitively priced it is already but if you don't ask you don't get, you know!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
By the way the stealer seemed moody and off with you coz you're not buying a car from him. All he may get is a simple service etc.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
No, have faith, should be fine with low milage, but try for couple of hundred off if it's due a service too then maybe a bit more.
Don't know how competitively priced it is already but if you don't ask you don't get, you know!

Really? Would you risk not changing it just because it has done low mileage? Rubber deteriorates with time. All it take is a bit of stretch for the belt to slip a couple of teeth then bye bye valves and pistons.

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
By the way the stealer seemed moody and off with you coz you're not buying a car from him. All he may get is a simple service etc.

shame, I could have put allot of work his wacould have put alot of business that way, but i dont think i would even bother trying again.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Really? Would you risk not changing it just because it has done low mileage? Rubber deteriorates with time. All it take is a bit of stretch for the belt to slip a couple of teeth then bye bye valves and pistons.

Danny, you read me wrong, I was answering Ben's question as to should he walk away.
If you read the beginning of this thread I said do it strait away.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.